Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:00:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Julian's Persian expedition; Which Legions and Cohorts Involved?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Hi,

I'm fairly (re: very) new to Julian's Persian expedition and wanted to po a question if I may?

Do we know which Legions were involved in the expedition?

Same for the Cavalry units?

Is there a reference in any on the literature or online that is fairly accessible?

I'm trying to match up the Legions involved with the correct LBMS Transfers for the Middle Imperial Roman A&A Miniatures range

Any help in this matter be very much appreciated  :)

LBMS A&A Miniatures for their Middle Imperial Roman range: Can any of the following be matched to any of the Legions in the campaign?

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: Julian's Persian expedition; Which Legions and Cohorts Involved?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »
I'm not sure if they were consider 'Legions' at that point - they were broken up into smaller units.  The 4th century AD saw the biggest changes I think.  I coukd very well be wrong though, I'm an Early Imperial Rome guy.

Have you looked at the following?  It's very basic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Roman_army

The following book appears to be one of the best sources.  You can buy it as a physical book or through Amazon as a Kindle book.

'The Nisibis War 337 - 363: The Defence of the Roman East AD 337-363' by John S. Harrel.

BTW - the shield patterns you are showing are for the 3rd Century AD, Julian's Persian expedition took place in the mid/late 4th Century.  Not sure if the design and type would be the same or not.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:02:22 PM by Mad Gadgeteer »
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 05:00:01 PM »
He took the Gallic Legions with him.  They were his power base so that is a starting point.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 05:15:46 PM »
I'm not sure if they were consider 'Legions' at that point - they were broken up into smaller units.  The 4th century AD saw the biggest changes I think.  I coukd very well be wrong though, I'm an Early Imperial Rome guy.

Have you looked at the following?  It's very basic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Roman_army

The following book appears to be one of the best sources.  You can buy it as a physical book or through Amazon as a Kindle book.

'The Nisibis War 337 - 363: The Defence of the Roman East AD 337-363' by John S. Harrel.

Thanks, rather embarrassingly I seem to have got my Centuries mixed up!  o_o o_o o_o

BTW - the shield patterns you are showing are for the 3rd Century AD, Julian's Persian expedition took place in the mid/late 4th Century.  Not sure if the design and type would be the same or not.

I've just located a copy of The Nisibis War 337 - 363 and put in an order.

Thanks again and yeah, what a faux pas on my part  lol

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:19:18 PM »
Thanks, rather embarrassingly I seem to have got my Centuries mixed up!  o_o o_o o_o

I've just located a copy of The Nisibis War 337 - 363 and put in an order.

Thanks again and yeah, what a faux pas on my part  lol

Don't sweat the faux pas - happens to everyone, especially when delving into new areas.  Glad to be of help.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 08:14:18 AM »
Don't sweat the faux pas - happens to everyone, especially when delving into new areas.  Glad to be of help.

But that's just it, 4th CE Rome isn't a new area, Third CE is  lol

I'm over it now, but yesterday I really was a burry your head in the sand moment  o_o

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 09:03:29 AM »
You are probably aware of them but if not. The Ballista novels by Harry Sidebottom are set in this era. Plenty of scenario fodder and a rollicking good read.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »
You are probably aware of them but if not. The Ballista novels by Harry Sidebottom are set in this era. Plenty of scenario fodder and a rollicking good read.

Thanks for the suggestion  8)

Apart from my recent purchase of The Nisibis War: The Defence of the Roman East, AD 337-363, John S Harrel  I have stopped buying books as I literally have a mountain of military history and novels to climb.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 09:44:21 AM »
You could listen while you paint.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »
You could listen while you paint.

Excellent OB! Thanks  8)

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 10:51:18 AM »

Nothing about Shields, but this book is very good indeed.
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 11:06:43 AM »
Atheling, there were plenty of clashes between the Middle Romans and the Sassanid Persia, also the bonus of the Palmyran revolt, so it is easy to get confused with the later Julian campaign! I wouldn't worry too much about shield designs I don't think there is any real certainty has to wherever cohorts or Legions had unique designs similar to the epic debate of what colours were used for Military clothing! However with those LBMS shields I keep thinking design 1 is based on a shield that was found in the area.(Duro-Europas)
I would also recommend those Harry Sidebottom books, lots of ideas for scenario's!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
Atheling, there were plenty of clashes between the Middle Romans and the Sassanid Persia, also the bonus of the Palmyran revolt, so it is easy to get confused with the later Julian campaign! I wouldn't worry too much about shield designs I don't think there is any real certainty has to wherever cohorts or Legions had unique designs similar to the epic debate of what colours were used for Military clothing! However with those LBMS shields I keep thinking design 1 is based on a shield that was found in the area.(Duro-Europas)
I would also recommend those Harry Sidebottom books, lots of ideas for scenario's!

Thanks mate. I'll have a look at Harry Sidebottom books when I've got the research right- or as right as it is possible for me to get it!

I remember a Goldsworthy lecture where he just came out and said it, "we probably only know 10-20% of what the Roman Army actually looked like"!

Offline Ten Fingered Jack

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2021, 08:48:03 PM »

The Ballista novels are set in the reign of Gallienus, about a century before Julian's Persian campaign.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »
The Ballista novels are set in the reign of Gallienus, about a century before Julian's Persian campaign.

So, based around the Battle of Edessa time period?