Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Doomed Pretenders Project - (03/01, Finished Irish Cavalry Unit)  (Read 19017 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: A Doomed Pretenders Project - (10/10, Big Batch of Bonnaughts)
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2022, 06:22:18 AM »
Fab work again mate  :-*

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks! I've definitely been won over to the multi-basing approach

It's so much easier to create a story within the basing, a dynamic if you like. To allow the miniatures to interact and "talk" to one another.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »
Fab work again mate  :-*

It's so much easier to create a story within the basing, a dynamic if you like. To allow the miniatures to interact and "talk" to one another.

Thanks!

And absolutely! That's definitely my big draw to the layout, it makes it much easier to have a 'narrative' going with each base which is a lot of fun!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2022, 07:43:25 PM »
Excellent work.

I've often wondered myself how I would group and base the Perry Irish if I ever had a reason to do them.... Formed units, open order, mixed weapons or not, etc... I think this is exactly how I'd do it, a core formed unit of bonnachts with mixed weapons like this, with some open order bases of Kern with javelins and a few bows to go with them.

Nicely done!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: A Doomed Pretenders Project - (18/10, Irish Kern with Bows)
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2022, 09:28:39 AM »
Thanks again everyone!

I've got another update and once again, we know 'em, we love 'em, it's more Kern!  lol

This time I've put together block of skirmishers with bows to act in support of the gallowglass and bonnachts, or independently to harass opponents in hit-and-run attacks!

The kern themselves are the usual mix of Perry and Antediluvian figures. I've included a few more drab léine compared to the bonnachts, given that these would be poorer soldiers, and unlikely to afford the fanciest saffron dye all the time

And here's the whole bunch together

And here's the block of skirmishers screening an advance for the charging Bonnachts

I hope they've come out ok! For a while I was debating whether to have them blocked in a more dense formation, to mirror the bows-and-bills of the other WotR forces, but eventually decided against it!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »
They look great  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2022, 12:33:02 PM »
That is on great looking battle.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2022, 01:31:23 PM »
A splendid sight  :-*

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »
I can't remember, are you going to build Irish horse as well?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2022, 05:14:14 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I can't remember, are you going to build Irish horse as well?

I'm definitely tempted to! I'm torn on whether to wait for the rumoured Perry sets or if I should bite the bullet and convert up some figures. Currently my blockers are finding figures to use as a base, and seeing if there are any visual sources aside from "The Image of Irelande" (from the tail-end of the 16th century) to use as a reference

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2022, 07:40:15 PM »
That is news to me about the Perrys looking at doing some Irish horse. Hopefully sooner then later.  :D

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

I've finally decided to set up a blog for this project (and my other ones, to keep it all in once place!), so I've been putting together posts over there, including this one, if you wanted to take a look there!

https://happy-chappy-miniatures.blogspot.com/2022/11/mounted-irish-command.html

So with that said, another Irish update! This time I wanted to attempt some figures to represent some Irish commanders on horseback, particularly with Never Mind the Billhooks' Deluxe edition giving rules for Irish cavalry!

Unfortunately finding miniatures to represent late-medieval/renaissance Irish cavalry and having them scale properly with the Perry Irish range is pretty difficult! Which meant going in to this would need some thought about converting existing figures to look the part of an Irish Earl and a mailed standard bearer to accompany him

Choosing figures as bases to start the conversions was a bit of a task! I'm not hugely confident in my sculpting abilities, so I wanted to try to focus on a few key points to have the figures at least be visually recognisable without necessarily needing me to sculpt on large areas of mail or detailed clothes.

For the Earl, I visually based his appearance on the "Irish Chieftain" depicted in a few of the woodcuts in The Image of Irelande. It is worth pointing out that the book is very much a piece of Tudor English propaganda, intending to demonise the Irish and promote the English forces in Ireland, so it should be taken with a grain of salt! But in the absence of many other sources, it made for a good start

In the woodcuts, the noble ( has an interesting segmented helmet (with a plume), so that was something I definitely wanted to include. He's also wearing an interesting outfit, initially I thought it was some sort of brigandine or studded jack, but it seems to be more consistent with civilian doublets in other 16th century portraits rather than any kind of armour. Finally, as shown in the first image, the chief has a very impressive cloak (or brat), with a thick fur-like fringe, which was another definite requirement for me to include!

For the Brat, the Gaelic Attire Website (http://gaelicattire.com/brat.htm) provides a very useful explanation of its construction, and some great reproductions (which have made great reference images!). The fringes themselves appear to have been made of wool (occasionally styled to look like fur), and for the wealthy this would have been dyed in a variety of colours

With that in mind as a design direction, I decided to use one of the Perry Sudanese commanders as a base figure, given his pose, and his excellent cloak to make a base for the brat:

And from there, I gave him a head-swap for one of the Gallowglass figures to try and match the interesting helmet shown in the woodcuts, and added a plume to it. Then, with some filing down of the body and legs, I sculpted on a Tudor doublet and boots, and then added a fringe to the cloak to convert it into an Irish Brat

In terms of colours, I went with a copy of the Brat in Dürer's depiction of Gallowglass in the early 16th century, with the cloak itself being a deep red/maroon/pink, and the fringe being a bright yellow

The standard bearer was a bit of a simpler conversion, seeing as my design philosophy for him was more straightforward. I wanted him to essentially look like a mounted Gallowglass, so the rider was based on a Victrix Norman, with his head swapped for one of the Perry Gallowglass, and a The Assault Group targe added in place of the Norman shield.

The horse was a little more involved, seeing as the Irish cavalry of the 16th century notably did not use stirrups or saddles, instead opting for what appears to be more of a cushion strapped to the horse. Given that information, I trimmed the saddle off of the horse, and used green stuff to sculpt on the quilted cushion (which helped mask the width difference between the Victrix legs and the Perry horse too!)

And finally to round off the whole base, I added an Irish wolfhound from Footsore Miniatures

Currently I only have flags for Kildare and Desmond put together, but the standard bearer's flags are detachable, so they can be easily swapped out for any other Gaelic or Anglo-Irish lords (once I get the flags made!)

And here's the Earl of Kildare riding alongside a band of kern

Hopefully they've turned out ok! The plan is to work on some cavalry to accompany the Earl on the field next!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 01:53:43 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Most excellent job on that Irish lord. I would have never guessed the base model, was from the Sudan range. Seems I also have to fallow your blog as well.  :D

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Most excellent job on that Irish lord. I would have never guessed the base model, was from the Sudan range. Seems I also have to fallow your blog as well.  :D

Much obliged!  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
The Irish "chief" is a really great piece of putty work mate  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Super conversion and very nice painting  8)