Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690598
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Terrain and Models  (Read 14543 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Fantasy Terrain and Models
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:54:12 PM »
Recently got a replacement cell phone which means a working camera there...

Dark Ages Chapel (Tabletop Workshop)

It's a nice kit, though, with mine, the interior wasn't in very good shape with pits and bubbles and several miscast parts. The exterior is awesome, the only thing that I'd needed to do with it other than a few gates that needed cleaning was to fill in where the walls lock together.

Unfortunately, with it being shipped internationally, the price with shipping means that the other models in Tabletop Workshop makes are a bit on the more expensive side for what I'd be willing to pay.

Stone Bridge (Warlord/Italieri)

A really nice looking kit, with an odd mix of simple and irritating to put together. It's got six pieces that are 2 copies of 3 parts. The two sides, and the top of the bridge and the underside of the bridge are each in two parts. It's easy to see how things come together, but a little difficult to work everything together at the same time and correctly. There are some issues from the way it was cast such as the ridge along the handrails of the top of the sides which you can't easily remove...I minimized it as much as I could without ending up removing the stone texture from area which leaves it looking off...but the ridge isn't that bad of a thing there. The other issue is that the top of the center has rather shallow texture there which makes a lot of the drybrushing difficult, I've been thinking it might just be the tooling to make it getting a bit old there. I still like the look and I've been thinking of getting a second one.

Alicorn Statue

Just a cheap Dollar Tree winged unicorn on a wooden plaque for a base from the same place and painted up. The winged unicorn comes in a 2 pack with a smaller one that's scaled right as a normal mini...I've got 2 more of the big ones (need to find matching plaques to base them on) and I'm using the 3 smaller ones as part of my Dragon Rampant force.

Man-At-Arms Statue

The dollar tree He-Man figure of Man-At-Arms with the base removed, more futuristic details shaved off, and painted as a statue while mounted on a wooden disc from the craft store and a small card piece painted in the same metals as the statue. The actual size is one where it might have worked with a basic repaint for a normal mini if I was mainly using larger minis.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to actually get a good focus on the statue...

Barrels

Just some quick craft store barrels that I painted up as an objective marker for supplies. I used a 2" base from some of the Nolzur's/Deep Cuts lines...I loathe those bases for use with actual minis because they're to flat there for picking up by the base, but with scatter and similar, they work great.

Memorial/Sacred Stone

A rather quickly done piece of scatter using another of the 2" bases and foam coated in patching compound and a few bits from the box.

Old Promontory Garden

A bit of an older thing, it was started during the full lockdown period last year and I recently added more to it with some sparse flocking and scenics that I'd been out of when making the rest. I'd used layers of foamcore to make the cliffs that where roughly shaped before then cut and textured to what I wanted when I'd finished assembling it, then used patching compound thinned down to an easily brushable point and several rough, small stones to add to it before sand and other work and painting. The structure is a lantern from the dollar tree that the shape of which reminded me of the old garden bird cages which inspired the project...removed the tea light for it there.

The layers from the foamcore actually works great for the rock striations there, for a lot of things I'm planning on using this method more with things.

Swamps/Marshes

These are rather simple to make, and designed that the two can fit on either side of the bridge I made along with being able to be used solo or together elsewhere if needed.

I started with some rather large plywood rounds and some card from a larger soft drink box that was large enough to cover a side and cut to make the "dry" areas of the piece. Then Smoothed it out with patching compound for a more natural look, worked some stones into it then sand and dried/sterilized twigs before I painted it. The water is polyeurethane high gloss with some fine flock mixed in, and the lilypads are a 3x5 card painted in a mix of greens before using a standard hole punch followed by cutting a notch out of it. positioned it on the water before adding a thin layer of the gloss overtop.

Rustic Cabin

I'd started out deciding to try making the cabin from a tutorial on the Mr Waaagh Media channel on YouTube when I needed another one for a scenario, and then decided to go a lot further because it wasn't looking like something that would fit the rest of my terrain. Starting by the chimney and fireplace along with using wood for the detail work around it...and then deciding that I needed to do an interior for it with a removable roof. I'd found the original tutorial quite plain, but the channels tutorials tend to be rather good for beginners

Green Dragon (Deep Cuts: Silver Dragon)

I'd painted this a little bit before the lockdowns due to a D&D game, then it got borrowed and only just got it back.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 06:28:52 AM by SotF »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some Terrain and a Dragon
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 07:38:09 AM »
A very nice eclectic mix there, well done.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 09:10:19 AM »
Indeed, very nice!!!

Dan

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »
Great stuff!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 03:11:29 PM »
Very nice!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 06:01:41 PM »
I'm impressed you've done some coloured patterns on the chapels windows, didn't even attempt it when I painted mine.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 10:08:09 PM »
I'm impressed you've done some coloured patterns on the chapels windows, didn't even attempt it when I painted mine.

I used acrylic inks at full strength for it followed by a gloss varnish brushed over it. The panes are deep enough that you don't need that much work to do it it.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 02:01:47 AM »
Some nice pieces. I like the little tower on the cliff and the unicorn. There's a lot of terrain that can be made from cheap odds and ends if you put your mind to it.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Some Terrain and a Dragon and other minis
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 05:04:31 AM »
Some nice pieces. I like the little tower on the cliff and the unicorn. There's a lot of terrain that can be made from cheap odds and ends if you put your mind to it.

Yeah, it seems that, half the time, I end up at Dollar Tree looking for various things that can be used as the basis for terrain.

And I've got a bit more here...

Boneyard

Some bones from Halloween decor and party favors I've found for cheap...the bones were a pain to remove the mold lines I could, but they're extremely hard in ways that make it difficult to use a knife and files don't work well on them either...the skull worked really well though with little effort. I have several more pieces done that are somewhat similar to those that are put away, did those two this year and it's more of a slow journey towards a planned giants graveyard set...

The Gates

Dollar Tree fairy garden pieces that started with an awful paint job but a good sculpt and size. I'd tried to get some more last year, but they were out...hoping that they get more in January/February this year when they put their fairy garden out.

Overgrown Well

A Dollar Tree christmas village well, based on a 2" Nolzur's base and repainted. A lot of the flock is to cover the various piles of snow sculpted onto it.

Nolzur's Young Blue Dragon

I do still have the lightning breath piece...I just don't really like the look of it in place so I didn't glue it in.

Nolzur's Frost Giant

Deep Cuts Velociraptors

White Tiger

A plastic tiger that I painted up because I needed one for a D&D adventure, and it's a white tiger because I wanted to paint it as one...

Alicorn Herd

These are the alicorns that were paired with the larger ones I'd painted as a statue...

Reaper Undead

Games Workshop Vampire Counts

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Fantasy Terrain and Models
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 03:07:00 AM »
A few more pieces of terrain, 3 quickly painted and one older one...

Foot Bridge

This is something that I'd found recently when needing to empty some rooms due to replacing carpeting, I'd bought it a LONG while back and misplaced it. I believe it was from Walmart from their aquarium decorations and on a pretty hefty discount at the same time.

Unfortunately, the image washed out, probably due to the white stone look I wanted. Unfortunately, the items on the top weren't that well cast and the material doesn't work well to adjust them. It's more of a small bridge that I can use with things and was, originally, going to be for a garden pond piece for Ronin before it disappeared on me.

LotR Ruin

Painted and based it just over a year ago, I'd had it since the first GW starter set from when Fellowship of the Ring came out. Misplaced the other half of it, still looking for it because I'd like to have it in order to have a more semi-complete ruin there. Unfortunately, the pieces were extremely light and would get bounced around the table, which prompted the base added to it and I used foamcore for the floor for the ruin there.

Ruined Doorway

This is one of Reaper's terrain pieces in their bones material. It's not the normal white bones (Or black or USA), it's closer in color to the Bones Black, but it's more flexible and I think it's the same as the Mystic Circle I'd painted a while back (Need to find the box I'd stored that in). I'm thinking about adding some flock and other material to it since the ground didn't drybrush that well, and the rubble is ill defined, but it's still a great piece

Hangman's Gibbet

Another Reaper Bones terrain piece. The base part was great, the arm and rope...that doesn't want to stay fully straight there, but it's doable. The entire thing painted up quick and easy.

Was hoping that it would have been easy to use it as a stage as well, but the design makes that not worth the effort. Still, it's something that I'll have a few uses for

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 03:24:55 AM »
Nice collection of minis there.

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 07:33:11 AM »
Fantastic work! The boneyard and giant are epic  :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 07:59:09 AM »
A great looking collection, particularly like the giant  :)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 08:46:13 AM »
Yes, a really nice collection of figures there.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 01:47:20 PM »
Great set of terrain.