Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Build Something Competition 2022: Rest  (Read 37230 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Build Something Competition 2022: Rest
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:35:25 PM »
Build Something Competition 2022 'The Potato Cup'

This description has been wildly plagiarised (with permission!) from Hammers’ similar post for the 2021 BSC.

The theme for the BSC2022 is: Rest

GENERAL RULES

Please use this child board  in the Workbench section to post your build threads.

The official start date is 01:00 GMT Saturday 8th January 2022 and all applicants must notify their intent to take part on the registration thread by Saturday January 22nd, 2022. They will then be listed in the registration post. The list of entrants will be in order of which their intent has been posted. Please let me know if your username is wrong.

YOU CAN START YOUR BUILD THREAD IN THIS SUB-FORUM DIRECTLY.

Please name your thread according to this pattern:

BSC2022 <member name> <build title>  - for example, 'BSC2022 Vanvlak Four-poster bed', where ‘Vanvlak’ would be the user's forum name and Four-Poster bed' would be the object being built.

If you change your mind, if Real Life intrudes or if you realise after some contemplation the theme is not to your taste - just let me know and I shall remove your name.

One entry per member (no joint contributions).

A dedicated Gallery has been set up just for hosting contest images so please post your photos there. You can then add them to your build thread - any questions regarding this just let me know.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=104

Finished entries must be submitted no later than midnight Sat 19th March 2022, and the voting will start shortly after. That should allow for plenty of time to build something.

The build threads of the entrants should include as many progress shots as possible, including sketches, sources of inspiration etc. NO PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED ENTRY SHOULD BE POSTED ON THE THREAD - painting in progress is not allowed, only primed entries are permissible on the build threads - if you are unsure then please ask. I would however turn a blind eye to small details which have to be finished before assembly (for example a pilot and controls in an enclosed cockpit).

Keep in mind that the documentation of the build process has some impact on how people vote.

The first entries must consist of either one photo OR a photo-montage of the finished piece. No photo manipulation will be allowed apart from cropping, white balance and contrast within reason. Again, if you are unsure then please ask. You may include one separate 'standard' figure in the final entry photo to indicate the relative size of the entry.

Photo size should be 1000x1000 pixels and sent as a jpeg to bsc2022submission@gmail.com

Depending on the number of entries, voting will take place in one or more group, and then, again depending of the number of entries, the top one or two entries of each group will advance to a final vote.
You will be allowed to enter new photos between rounds if you like. It has proven a good idea to keep interest up among voters.

For the last round you will be allowed to use your build in a "fully dramatized" setting, meaning placing the model on a game board surrounded with as many wargames miniatures you like.

A NOTE ON BIAS AND CONDUCT
I (Vanvlak) will, hopefully be entering a build myself. I've done so in the previous edition I coordinated (I did not do well), and only once came near the semi-finals :D
While everyone is allowed, as per usual, to comment in progress threads, please keep things encouraging and constructive.
Although winners will be voted by the members collective of the LAF, if there is any sense of foul play the judges’ decision is final, although we would hope that it won't be necessary given the friendly nature of the LAF.

THEME RULES
The entry must include something that ties in with the theme of ‘Rest’.

It’s an easier theme to define than last year’s: you have to construct a model (scenery, a vehicle, anything else) which has something to do with, or depicts, the theme of Rest . I very much appreciate that this can be very broad, but if you are uncertain whether your idea fits the bill correctly, pm me or post on the BSC thread to get a clarification.

One feature of the entries is that they should be practical gaming or scenery pieces, so no varnished walnut veneer bases or artful backdrops with LEDs and baroque trimmings.

Remember that the competition is run within the confines of the Workbench board: you have to build something. What singles out the Build Something Contest is that it is about construction of something new. The vast majority of the piece should be scratch built, and only 0-25% can be commercially bought items or figures. The rest must be handmade. If you have any questions either ask them here or via pm, but please label your pm Build Something 2022.

Any period or setting is allowed as long as it fits with the theme including sci-fi, historical, pulp, fantasy etc.

Just like previous years, any amount of 3D printing is allowed but we ask you to be especially diligent in including images from design steps (3D design files) and of part printouts in the your progress thread.

Conversion of commercially-bought items is allowed also e.g. as long as it is a major 'refactoring'. Another example could be a plastic aeroplane kit: adding a couple of extra parts to the kit would not be sufficient to qualify, but having some of the parts from a sprue on an entirely new build would be fine. Again, if in doubt, please ask.

It's not possible to cover all the eventualities, so please use your common sense and play fair. :D

Good luck, and happy building to all - and don't forget to REGISTER YOUR INTENT and START A THREAD.

Post any rules queries and comments as replies.

* The name 'The Potato Cup' comes from an early run of the competition where a number of items were offered to the winner, among them a raw unpeeled potato. The winner picked the potato. The name stuck.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:21:06 PM by Vanvlak »

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Build Something Competition 2022: Rest
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 06:10:05 PM »
Do we apply here?

At the front office, they directed us to BSC Hall, but there's no one there yet, and some old man told me to just enter my form over here.

Look; I filled out both sides, in triplicate, as indicated in the syllabus...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 06:27:49 PM »
Please be kind to us idiots.
I am OK with the build part, but I may struggle with
the Teck-Knee-Kal stuff.
Bear in mind if you do come up with a fool proof system'
nature will produce a better quality fool (often me) lol

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 07:26:03 AM »
Were should we post our build thread? Here? Don#t bother fiound it. ;)

Is this supposed to be one base worth of terrain etc or can we add several bases as one entry?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:32:30 AM by tomrommel1 »
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 03:51:14 PM »
Question re:rules. I am building a building (a farm) but it is designed to be placed on a mat I've already finished. Am I allowed to place this building on mat, provided the building is the primary focus? My plan was to crop tight to the building

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 05:43:31 AM »
Ooh, er I think I am going to have to bow out as this BSC looks to finish 3 months earlier than last year and I will be primarily engaged in another project until Mar. 20th.  :(

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 08:41:28 PM »
So is this the place to register my intent or I'm missing something? ???

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 08:56:49 PM »
Ooh, er I think I am going to have to bow out as this BSC looks to finish 3 months earlier than last year and I will be primarily engaged in another project until Mar. 20th.  :(

Yeah, this will be a serious challenge for me too, but I think I'll give it a shot regardless. Whether or not it'll be enough remains to be seen of course...

So is this the place to register my intent or I'm missing something? ???
Out the hall, down the stairs.

(or: in the main BSC forum; you'll see all of the other 2022 threads as well ;) )

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 07:59:30 AM »
Do we apply here?

At the front office, they directed us to BSC Hall, but there's no one there yet, and some old man told me to just enter my form over here.

Look; I filled out both sides, in triplicate, as indicated in the syllabus...
It's actually the second window on the mezzanine to the BSC Hall, or here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?board=48.0  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 08:04:40 AM »
Question re:rules. I am building a building (a farm) but it is designed to be placed on a mat I've already finished. Am I allowed to place this building on mat, provided the building is the primary focus? My plan was to crop tight to the building
During construction, it would be ideal to avoid including the mat as far as possible, unless the building is actually to be constructed fitted permanently to it. For the final pic, it should not be a problem, but as you pointed out, the focus shuld be on the entry in the pic.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 08:07:47 AM »
Were should we post our build thread? Here? Don#t bother fiound it. ;)

Is this supposed to be one base worth of terrain etc or can we add several bases as one entry?
In the years prior to 2021, we limited to three bases - last year's competition, being difficult terrain, had a bit of a different nature, which was why Hammers rightly went up to six.
As the current topic is a more conventional one, I would return to the limit of three.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 08:12:01 AM »
Please be kind to us idiots.
I am OK with the build part, but I may struggle with
the Teck-Knee-Kal stuff.
Bear in mind if you do come up with a fool proof system'
nature will produce a better quality fool (often me) lol
That is impossible, I'm afraid. I cannot create a foolproof system, as that would exclude me outright from the process of creation of said system, meaning said creation of said system would just not happen.  :(

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 08:14:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that  :(
I think it drifted back to its original start with the start of the year, mostly because I forgot that last year's had been started later...

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 02:16:51 PM »
So we can start?  :)

Going to have to make some rapid progress on mine, as the next month or so could be a bit crazy...might need to look for a new job shortly  :?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »
Heh; I'm starting a new job on February 1st, so it'll be an exciting/busy/taxing time there for me as well...