Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Sconce build - COMPLETE FEB 2022  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
ECW Sconce build - COMPLETE FEB 2022
« on: January 09, 2022, 08:58:15 PM »
Hello all, as part of a big, long ECW project, I’m considering scratch building a 28mm sconce. A bit like the one which can still be seen at Newark (Queen’s sconce park). Has anyone ever attempted this / seen any similar projects. Just mulling design, size, materials at the moment. Curious to see if / how it’s been done before.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:32:15 AM by Winston »
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
Re: ECW Sconce build - tips/advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 09:09:19 PM »
http://theleadpile.blogspot.com/2019/04/sconce.html

I built one a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's on the scale you're planning but it'll give you a start.

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:47:58 AM »
thanks for the inspiration, we in our club is just about to start a small campaign of Skånske krig, or the war of Skane, the Danish King Christian V re-invades southern Sweden to reclaim what is rightfully his, after winning the battle of the seas in the bay of Koge.

Would be so awesome to fight over such a piece of terrain.

Im considering to build one me self now :D
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 01:28:55 PM »
I built one out of blue insulation board in 15mm

It is designed to work with the basing system of the Tercio rules. A step-by-step can be found here;   https://epicureanwars.blogspot.com/2019/11/this-message-has-not-been-approved-by.html

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 02:44:16 PM »
Nicely done.  :-*

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 06:06:20 PM »
Nice!

How big where these / what sized force would defend one?

We use For King and Parliament for ECW, so its grid based, and the base unit is a regiment, though smaller units such as forlorn hopes are represented.  My starting premise is it would be one grid square sized (which is the width of a regiment) and could be garrisoned by up to a regiment.

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:13:00 PM »
For an idea of size see here https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2018/12/the-queens-sconce.html

The second photograph shows the roof of a nearby house and the Queen's Sconce. The house is on a road next to the Sconce. The road and house are at the current ground level, which is slightly lower than the field height of Devon Park (where the Sconce is). As you can see the roof line (two storey) is just below the height of the earthworks. The ditch going down from current ground level is quite hard to gauge - probably 2/3rds the height of the earthworks.

My 15mm Hovels buildings are approx 75mm to the apex of the roof of a two storey house, so using them as a guide the Sconce is roughly 70mm high. Which seems enormous. Maybe 50mm might be a more appropriate height for the earthworks, and about 30mm deep for the ditch?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:24:50 PM by Radar »
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:30:13 PM »
The earthworks tend to have a large footprint if you work to scale. I opted for a design with separate 30mm high exp poly central bases onto which I could add bastions etc. The bastion tops could double as conventional siege works and it made storage easier and meant I could also place just a half sconce as an HQ on a table edge if I wanted. It also meant I could have a taller earthwork (60mm high) and mount storming poles without worrying that they would get broken off...
I based mine on the Bulwark at Earith, Cambs, which covered a river crossing. It also had a vestigial hornwork projecting to the road (just visible in the meadow) https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1013282
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:35:56 PM »
Couple of pictures of Earith Bulwark at the bottom of the page here (one when flooded, one 'normal' unflooded): https://www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk/2019/07/the-cromwell-museum.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:58:33 AM by Radar »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 10:44:02 PM »
I have visited the site on more than one occasion and the earthworks are still substantial. The picture from the flooding in 2020 shows the geometry so distinctly... even after all this time! It must have been a godforsaken posting on the edge of the Fens...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 01:42:10 AM »
I started a much smaller bastion/sconce a couple of years ago and one of these years I shall actually finish the poor thing!

It's designed for 28mm skirmish so designed to hold a gun, maybe two, and a dozen or so figures at most in a 9"x9" area because that's what Pikeman's Lament suggests for their scenarios.

As mentioned above, and as I discovered and wrote about in my blog post, real scones tend to be massive by wargaming standards, they'd take up half the table in 28mm if done semi-realistically.

Build pics here: http://www.warbard.ca/2019/05/04/a-17th-century-bastion-part-one/

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 08:53:31 AM »
One trick I've used is to saw the gabions in half and have the earth rampart in front built up taller to mask the lack thereof... Save whole gabions for either side of the gun embrasures. The emplacements look more intimidating and the casts also go twice as far that way ;)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 09:36:40 AM »
I made a few but actually not used them much in games. The bigger they are the harder to fit on the table:

I have not fully finished these, they could do with some gabions and some debris etc but they are quite cheap and easy to make:

-Plywood or mdf board in the bottom
-EPS, or preferably blue, foam
-Wood glue
-Sand
-Paint

A wire foam cutter makes it easier to get the right angles on the ramparts but since you cover it all with glue and sand you can cut it with a sharp knife: look forward to see your progress!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:43:33 AM by traveller »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 12:52:53 PM »
Cool looking projects - I’m thinking of doing this in 10mm so the sconce will naturally be smaller thanks to that. And I have a new hot wire cutter ready to go!

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 02:01:17 PM »
Some fabulous scratch builds here. I went the ‘lazy’ way and bought one in sections from Pauls Modelling Workshop. Having it in sections makes storage and transport easier, and also allows the use of just part of the fort, on the table edge for example. I realise you want to scratch build, but
I think worth considering if you can make it in parts.