Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685057
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New project for 2022.  (Read 11362 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
New project for 2022.
« on: December 17, 2021, 02:06:56 PM »
I've decided to recreate my Plains Wars Collection in 15mm. When my old pal passed away I gave away the vast 20mm Wild West collection we'd built up over the last 40 years. Both of us had been proper Hollywood Wild West nuts, and I couldn't see me playing with the collection with anybody else.
I'm being called to 'go west old man' again, so have to start from scratch.
I'm going to need Monument Valley and assorted scenery for starters. Cavalry fort, Iron Horse, Stagecoach and a fair sized Indian village through the passes in the mountains... how hard can it be?
Add in about 300 mounted and dismounted Horse Soldiers and Cheyenne, a wagon train, settlers, ranchers, cattle drive and wandering Buffalo herd and the job's a good 'un!
I'm plan to chart progress here as I go along.

:)

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: New project for 2022.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 03:43:56 PM »
What, no Chinese railroad gangs or travelling Mariachi band.
Slacker!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 05:25:40 PM »
If they make 'em...
I'll 'ave 'em!

;D

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
Before you commit to 15mm you might want to check out the Baccus 6mm range. All my figures are 28mm but I bought some of the Baccus 6mm US Cavalry just to see want they were like and they are really nice. I am also thinking of entering the Pony Wars arena and I feel 6mm is the way to go. Particularly as you are supposed to need 600 odd Indians!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 11:17:37 PM »
Particularly as you are supposed to need 600 odd Indians!

Had over 800 20mm Zulus once, 600 Indians I can pick up almost anywhere!

;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 11:19:22 PM by Harry Faversham »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 04:23:36 AM »
Well, Harry, I've long suspected you to be one of the finer sort of rapscallion.  And now you've provided solid evidence of my perspicacity!  ;)

I suspect you may have seen my listing for 15 mm Old West here on this board.

Just in case:

I've decided to recreate my Plains Wars Collection in 15mm. When my old pal passed away I gave away the vast 20mm Wild West collection we'd built up over the last 40 years. Both of us had been proper Hollywood Wild West nuts (is someone holding up a mirror in front of me?), and I couldn't see me playing with the collection with anybody else.
I'm being called to 'go west old man' again (sounds like you will need a Horace Greely character - see Old Glory 15s - maybe the Union political figure will work, no, not the really tall guy), so have to start from scratch.
I'm going to need Monument Valley (very Hollywood, not very historical, to each their own - and you did say) and assorted scenery for starters. Cavalry fort (must be something out there but easy to scratch, too - don't remember where i got mine but check Bluemoon's French and Indian War for a good option), Iron Horse (Peter Pig - with rolling stock, too), Stagecoach (name yer poison, pard, there are numerous out there - I like the QRF and the Minifigs - the Bluemoon is nice but big, the body is resin) and a fair sized Indian village (Bluemoon for a variety of sizes, Peter Pig for a very nice version - sundry others as well, Hovels for some nice bits to enhance a village) through the passes in the mountains... how hard can it be (not hard at all)?
Add in about 300 mounted and dismounted Horse Soldiers and Cheyenne (poison by another name...spoiled for choice), a wagon train (many options but Peter Pig is a good place to start), settlers (ditto - but Hovels range for native villagers, amongst others), ranchers (Minifigs and Peter Pig), cattle drive (various but Peter Pig as probably the easiest to assemble long horns) and wandering Buffalo herd (buy some from everyone that makes them - and Irregular miniatures for pronghorn antelope (where the deer and the antelope play!) and QRF has a buffalo hunt scene with a native american hunter - have to extemporize the dead and skinned buffalo, though) and the job's a good 'un!
I'm plan to chart progress here as I go along.  (Will enjoy watching your progress - being the erudite rapscallion I perceive you to be)

Conestoga wagons - lousy on the plains, good way to die on the way to Cal-i-for-i-ay.  You want prairie schooners (various options, Peter Pig pretty good one).  Bluemoon does make a very nice Conestoga but meant for the eastern theater, not really out west.  They did attempt the crossing so not entirely out of place.

War wagon?  Not yet found in 15 mm so a little inventiveness is in order until manufactures come to their senses.  QRF does do a gatling gun, though, if needed.  The Lone Ranger and Tonto, sort of ditto but easily extemporized.  Ditto Dando. And those manufacturers still haven't seen fit to create a proper horse drawn hearse in 15 mm.  The nerve!

Probably impossible to find these days but the long gone Frontier Miniatures had a pack of cattle drovers with lariats (ropes).  And, NO, you cannot have mine - I only have four (one pack).

Chinese track workers?  Mariachi band?  Slacker manufacturers again.  Bluemoon does have some Chinamen in its civilians pack, though.  Some would work for 'staffing' a Joss house, need one in your China town portion of any rail town (very slipshod affairs three-quarters of the time). 

Saloon girls, dancing girls?  Best are from Bluemoon - and seated gamblers, heck, even a piano and player for someone to "don't shoot the piano player"! 

If you source a proper Mongo figure, be sure and let me know.  "If you shoot him you'll just make him mad."

Welcome to the wonders of 15 mm for the Old West.

And my sincere condolences on the passing of your "old pal".  Very hard to loose a good chum.  Sounds like the two of you had many good times together.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:13:44 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 07:48:23 AM »
I agree (& am emulating)
armchairgeneral
in going 6mm.
If you are committed to 15mm, may I suggest
that you try & score an old Airfix Wild West Fort.
It would work well with 15mm figures, though I
would be tempted to turn it into a 'low relief' frontage.
Takes up less table room, looks more imposing &
(as most of the 'fort' would be off table) more believable
when yet another Cavalry troop comes galloping out. lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 01:26:18 AM »
 15mm, 6mm, why not go in the middle? Check out Lancashire games 10mm Pony Wars range
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 04:35:41 AM »
I agree (& am emulating) in going 6mm.
If you are committed to 15mm, may I suggest
that you try & score an old Airfix Wild West Fort.
It would work well with 15mm figures, though I
would be tempted to turn it into a 'low relief' frontage.
Takes up less table room, looks more imposing &
(as most of the 'fort' would be off table) more believable
when yet another Cavalry troop comes galloping out. lol

Airfix Cavalry Fort already gleaned. Come to think about it, if I get my arse in gear it could be ready for when the first Troop of Cavalry and Command ride in on Dec 25th.

:)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »
Airfix Cavalry Fort already gleaned. Come to think about it, if I get my arse in gear it could be ready for when the first Troop of Cavalry and Command ride in on Dec 25th.

Fort Christmas ?  :D

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »
Am tempted to get back into an Old West project myself, so will keep an eye on your thread  :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 08:07:47 AM »
"And we're off!"

Fort Faversham is completed and ready to receive it's garrison. The Fort has been built to protect the vital 'Faversham Trail' as it traverses the Powder River Country. The trail was blazed by renowned Scout and Indian Fighter, Harry 'Buckshot' Faversham in 1868. Now the Cheyenne are on the Warpath Fort Faversham will be crucial in keeping the trail open for both the Pony Express and the Wagon Train.

::)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 02:25:02 PM by Harry Faversham »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 02:26:31 PM »
But for some unfortunate pilgrims...
it was already too late!

:'(

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
Very nice indeed! Have fun with your new project.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »
I am also working on  large 15mm Pony Wars project over the next year.

I've started on the first 60 mounted Indians - boy are 15mm small after painting 54mm for 2 years!  Anyone got any hints on speed painting indians - I've got at least 250 of them to do...

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk