Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Do you prefer slow zombies, fast zombies or a mix of both in a single setting?

I prefer slow zombies.
I prefer fast zombies.
I prefer a mix of both in a single setting.
Other (please explain in the comments).

Author Topic: Opinions on slow zombies versus fast zombies?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
Re: Opinions on slow zombies versus fast zombies?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 07:18:38 AM »
I’m all for the ‘shambling zombie horde’, but have been corrupted by too much Zombieland, and am now willing to accept faster ones for comedic effect.

‘Rule no.1. Cardio.’

Logically, the freshly zombified would likely move quicker than older models, what with bits falling off and all. Crawling examples would not be amiss. That voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to scratch build a zombie in a wheel chair . . .

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 05:40:49 PM »
I really like slow zombies in great numbers because it seems that one could easily take them out, a mental mind set, until all of them are on top of you! However, I like a few fast moving one too, not the flat-out sprinting rage ones as in "28 Days Later" but the ones that seem to move much fast than the others somewhere between "The Walking Dead" and "Z-Nation".
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2022, 08:48:38 PM »
  Slo-zombies are okay. You might always want the slow-zombie option to really get away from them by shooting your partner in the leg. Of course, if you both had the same idea and shot each other in the leg. well. That's the description of a bad day.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
I have posted this poll a few different places and I am really surprised by the majority of folks in each poll favoring slow zombies. I mean, I favor slow zombies too generally but some good arguments have been made for mixing some fast zombies into the mix (freshly turned being fast is an interesting one).  It is just surprising to me that so many folks favor slow given how many movies are being made with fast zombies.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 01:44:49 PM »
It's a trope innit? We like to include recognised tropes in our games - zombies are slow, orcs are mean, elves are wise - because they're building blocks we feel comfortable with and we know how to play the game with them. In other types of entertainment, it's sometimes nice for the creator to mix things up sometimes, perhaps because we're just being entertained and there's no pressure for us to deal with them ourselves.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 01:58:41 PM »
mix and match. hey I am older, like slow ones so in my imagination I could get away..

but depends, say on freshness (less functionally rotted away/impaired)

but of course the trop again on top is what is making your "zombies" are they rotting corpses or mutated minions etc?

but if its classic dead rotting corpses - aim for the head kind, start fast and get slower as they rot and break down seems like a basic "logical assumption" that they remain partially functional as those needed parts breakdown?

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 02:47:17 PM »
I really like slow zombies in great numbers because it seems that one could easily take them out, a mental mind set, until all of them are on top of you! However, I like a few fast moving one too, not the flat-out sprinting rage ones as in "28 Days Later" but the ones that seem to move much fast than the others somewhere between "The Walking Dead" and "Z-Nation".

In 28 days later it was just really really angry people!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »
In 28 days later it was just really really angry people!

Yeah, I don't know if this qualifies as the walking dead. I think this is the "walking diseased." I love the movies though. I feel like this is the most probable version of a "zombie outbreak" so it brings a reality to a story that is based on fantasy. For the living dead I like shuffling, slow zombies. The danger is in the volume of enemies, and their inexorable plodding ever onward, not in their speed or fighting prowess. Want undead that can fight? I'd go skeletons.

Offline iDreamofMinis

• Bookworm
    • I Dream of Minis Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 02:31:11 PM »
I do like a mix of both, sort of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. brain-fried soldiers as the slow guys and the snorks as the speedy ones.  I guess technically neither of these are undead, but the definition of "zombies" seems to be pretty pliable these days.  Any mindless humanoid acting on pure instinct is pretty much a zombie in my book, fast or slow.

I think if it's truly an undead person who has been dead for a while the decaying process would almost have to make them slower than a limber, living person.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 05:05:44 AM »
Slow   you really don't stand a chance against the Fast ones...what the fun in that.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/