Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wiglaf Miniatures 18mm Saxons preview  (Read 4721 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Wiglaf Miniatures 18mm Saxons preview
« on: January 17, 2022, 10:17:16 PM »
Although I’m mostly a dyed-in-the-wool 28mm gamer, I have odd lapses. When Dan Mersey announced that he was going to launch a small 15/18mm 7th century Dark Ages range, I thought ‘maybe I’ll get a few.’ Then it turned out that Mark Copplestone was sculpting…then I started getting back into the Dark Ages…then…yeah. Another odd lapse.

I’d already cracked and bought a few packs of Forged in Battle Welsh by way of experiment and was waiting for some further news on the Wiglaf Miniatures range. One day last week, I managed to leave my sandwiches at home and had to pop back from work at lunchtime. This hungry cloud had a silver lining, as I found a small but weighty jiffy bag waiting for me with some familiar handwriting. I was absolutely delighted to find I had been sent a pre-production sample of some Wiglafs by none other than Mr Mersey himself!

As you’d expect from Mark Copplestone, they are superb little sculpts (comparable, I’m told, with his fantasy Barbarica range). Indeed, they could easily be 28mm, they have so much detail. The mail, pouches, faces, seaxes, clothing and hairstyles are terrific, but my favourite part has to be the helmets for the noble warriors: Benty Grange, Coppergate and Shorwell-type helms all feature.  Penda is depicted wearing the (contentious) reconstruction of parts from the Staffordshire Hoard - it looks cool, and you can remove the crest if it bothers you. 

Suffice to say that they have painted up nicely. I look forward to being able to put together a bigger force once they are released.  Full article and more pics are on my blog here: https://mogsymakes.net/2022/01/17/near-far-away-part-2-wiglaf-miniatures-18mm-saxons-preview/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: Wiglaf Miniatures 18mm Saxons preview
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:26:27 PM »
Well, that almost makes me want to lapse into, no, no I have enough going on!

Superb PJs and gorgeous little 18mm men.

well worth forgotten sandwiches.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 11:06:27 PM »
Those look brilliant! I have a few of the Copplestone barbarian packs and I might have to pick some of these up to serve as their opponents (and in conventional historical armies).

The paint jobs on these pre-production figures are beautiful, and I like the banner!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 11:46:30 PM »
Splendid. Thanks for the preview. They look delightful.

These will definitely be joining my Hyborian collection of Copplestone Barbarica figures… I already have Aesir and Vanir, so will have to decide which nation these will represent - Brythunians perhaps, or the men of the Bossonian Marches  :)

Sadly I won’t actually be using them as early Saxons - I still have far too many in 28mm still to paint!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 07:36:12 AM »
Oh these are stunning little miniatures with an ace painting. I will like to have them, too.
They’ll join my 15mm Copplestone collection, and I do fancy doing some 15mm Middle Earth gaming with them.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 08:28:37 AM »
They look great, looking forward to picking up a few of these myself.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 08:39:12 AM »
Excellent James :-* :-* :-*

Great idea to use the image as a banner- I would not like to have to paint that one up in 15mm!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 02:31:16 PM »
Absolutely brilliant! The brushwork brought these fantastic miniatures to life! These are some of the best 18mm miniatures I've ever seen!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 05:45:41 PM »
Those are lovely figures - and great paintjobs too!
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 10:23:06 AM »
Sorry for squatting in your post James, but just to let folks know Dan'll be selling the Wigalf miniatures through North Star.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:49:53 PM »
Sorry for squatting in your post James, but just to let folks know Dan'll be selling the Wigalf miniatures through North Star.

No problem Nick - I’d prefer to think of you as a house guest rather than a squatter, anyway!  This is great news.  Let us know when they’re available.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 06:55:12 PM »

Wahoo! Jolly good news! Please make them available quickly!!!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 07:15:34 PM »
Dan is saying three weeks time before they are with me. Looking forward to them, don't want to get sucked in though, I've enough projects on the go. But as you know James, this period was one of my favourites. Still got the army we play tested Age of Arthur with.

& I thought about doing it again with the Tanatus Miniatures but got no further than one base.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 06:42:36 PM »
Excellent figures

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 09:46:35 PM »
Dan is saying three weeks time before they are with me. Looking forward to them, don't want to get sucked in though, I've enough projects on the go. But as you know James, this period was one of my favourites. Still got the army we play tested Age of Arthur with.

& I thought about doing it again with the Tanatus Miniatures but got no further than one base.

That’s exactly what I said, and now Matt and are acquiring 15/18mm armies. lol

That flag on the Tanatus minis… bit of Noldor influence?