Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691080
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 10
Guests: 759
Total: 769

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's 15/18mm Wiglaf Miniatures Anglian Army: 27.4.23 Warriors and Skirmishers  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
These are fantastic. I really like the look of them on the larger bases too - it gives them a proper warband vibe. What size base have you gone for here? 80mm x 40mm? It works a treat.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
These are fantastic. I really like the look of them on the larger bases too - it gives them a proper warband vibe. What size base have you gone for here? 80mm x 40mm? It works a treat.

Thank you - yeah, 80x40mm. It just gives that bit extra room on the base (which will be handy for cavalry too!) which suits my vision of early-mid 7th century warfare which in my mind is less about static shield walls and still a bit more about aggressive war band combat than in the later Saxon era (I feel that my warriors need a 'surging advance' look rather than a static overlapping shields look, even though I'm sure that a proto-shieldwall would have been used in more defensive actions...)
And the 80x40mm is playable across several rule sets and at least one other gamer I might face across the table has Wiglaf and Forged in Battle Dark Ages armies on 80x40s too! .

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
They look great   :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
brilliant.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Real life got in the way a bit lately and somewhat bizarrely, given that I'm painting Raedwald of East Anglia's army, I have just been appointed to a job at Sutton Hoo, Raedwald's supposed burial site! How immensely cool is that?!

Anyway, here are the skirmishers and warriors in the retinue of Edwin, exiled prince of Northumbria. The final two pictures show his retinue in total. The unarmored warrior unit is made from models from the Saxon warriors and Vendel warriors packs, as I like to mix them up!

Next up, the man himself! Raedwald's command base plus his hearthguard... Might be a while though as I'm in the throes of a house move!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Lovely  :-* :-* :-*

And congrats on the new Job Andy  8)

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Awesome stuff Andy. They look fantastic.

Good luck with your move to the desolate marshes of East Anglia. Very much looking forward to seeing more of your Wiglafs once you get settled at the other end.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Beautiful work! I like the vivid colours you used on the retinue figures and their contrast with the subdued ones on the skirmishers.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Oh my! Those look better than a lot of 28mm and even some 40mm!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper