Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hobby Mojo  (Read 6739 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Re: Hobby Mojo
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2022, 12:06:02 PM »
Anyone suffered recently due to the heatwave?

I found painting suffered as the paint dried very, very quickly. On the plus side, PVA dried very quickly!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2022, 12:27:46 PM »
 Been quite productive knocking out mdf kits the past few days.

Painting on the other hand is not happening at all.I really need to start painting the stuff i have made-up.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2022, 02:17:24 PM »
I've been...on/off a bit lately, but working on a secret project, and spending more hobby time cranking on rules than actual minis/painting, etc.  Trying to get some games actually finished and released vs. just playing my games at 85% for years on end  :-[

I have made it over a few hurdles though - mainly models I desperately did not want to paint (but need for games), so that's always a win.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2022, 04:12:01 PM »
Yes, heat has impacted my painting speed lately.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2022, 08:25:01 AM »
This year of the Lord 2022 I hadn't painted anything until mid-February, when I caught The Disease. But just after painting a single figure, I got hired for a new job in which they had several urgent deadlines to deal with, so the hobby time went out of the window.
Now I'm on holidays with time to paint, but the mediterranean heat dries the paint right on the wet pallette. Man, I can't catch a break.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2022, 09:11:26 AM »
It's not the heat, but the humidity...

Seriously; when it's hot in the (southern) Netherlands, it's also moist, even during this long dry spell. Not Texas hot and humid, but still. Also, our houses are not built for this kind of sustained weather, and very few have airconditioning, so there's that.

I can stand the heat, no problem, but the fact that sweat covers my body top to bottom 24/7, and brushes slip form my grip because of it, means that my productivity has dropped considerably. Also; heat induced lethargy ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 10:07:49 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2022, 09:20:27 AM »
I'm actually fired up for getting back into painting again after taking a complete break since March.

I often find my interest in painting seems to rekindle toward the end of the summer and the beginning of autumn.

But I'm going to have to wait a little while until my imminent house-move (due to happen next week) is complete!

https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2022, 01:01:16 PM »
When it gets too hot to paint I switch from painting to building terrain or (plastic) figures. A few years ago I started anticipating on high temperatures by setting stuff (terrain materials, boxes of plastic figures) aside to keep going when it is too hot for painting.
I don't have a space for using spray paint indoors so I base my figures with spray paint  outside. Since the temperature range for successful spray paint use is limited. I primarily base my figures in autumn and spring (not too hot, not too cold).

T.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »
Got to say, I've currently got my mojo back. I've found switching between figures and scenery has massively helped my productivity, when I get fed up with one, I switch to the other.

I'm finally painting bits I bought from Ainsty and Black Cat Bases over 10 years ago!

Having some fun too!  lol

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2022, 10:09:59 AM »
Spinal Tap nailed it for me - I set myself painting targets I want to achieve (actually just like Daeothar’s 100 28mm minis painted) but in my case it served to demoralise me and turn what should be fun into a chore.

So one of the steps I now embrace is ‘good enough’ when it comes to completing a paint job! :D  I also had the happy realisation that by reorganising my hordes after the above failure I was able to free up a bunch of painted units that could be repurposed for the ones I gave up on! Happy circumstance in my case, but def touches on what others have said - that reorg and planning/ prep can be just as satisfying for some.

But I would still like to hit 100… 75 done… *Gets sucked back in*  o_o o_o o_o o_o