Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Citadel LoTR minis scale question  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Citadel LoTR minis scale question
« on: May 30, 2022, 10:30:59 PM »
Games workshop/citadel has been producing models based on the Jackson films for almost two decades now. Are the recently released models still to scale with minis from the early 2000s? Or has this like also seen some scale creep like the Warhammer titles?

I know this like is 25mm, but did it stay that way? The latest Pelennor Fields box looks to be loaded with minis, but iirc they’re older plastics. Do the minis stand up to recent sculpts?

Thanks

Offline AxolotlQuestions

• Bookworm
Re: Citadel LoTR minis scale question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 08:31:55 PM »
There has been some scale creep, but not massively. It's largely the same as when it started.
The old plastics aren't great. They're largely one piece models and are showing their age, with some suspect areas of low detail.
However, lots of the stuff in the box still looks pretty good, especially once painted up.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 09:27:39 PM »
Think the early ones were 25mm and then they slightly increased in size. Might be able to take some scale comparisons depending on which miniatures you would like to see as I have loads of these miniatures although mostly the older ones.

The Pelennor set contains mostly older miniatures think the nazgul and the theoden miniatures are new miniatures with the oldest being the rohan miniatures. Still great miniatures though considering their age and think those were handsculpted by the Perry's with the newer ones being digitally designed by other sculptors.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 11:32:24 PM »
Oh Lordy. Citadel LoTR was the new system to which my pay packet could not stretch. Hearing the minis described as 'showing their age', withers me ;-)
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 04:01:17 PM »
I like the Rohan models in the box set a lot, but how much smaller are they than the newer Theoden that comes in the box? How about the Rohan command models? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Mounted-Rohan-Command-2019

How much smaller than this great witch king model? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/m-e-sbg-the-witch-king-of-angmar-2021

Is the difference slight or pretty large?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 06:34:39 PM »
Oh Lordy. Citadel LoTR was the new system to which my pay packet could not stretch. Hearing the minis described as 'showing their age', withers me ;-)
They are not that bad but definitely not quite what we have become used to lately in terms of plastic kit quality. I think the Riders of Rohan plastic figures have probably aged the best. Although I love the Mordor orc set AxolotlQuestions criticisms of it are fair.

@Jack Hooligan:
There are no scale creep issues with the Pelennor fields box set and the older Orc and Rohirrim kits. The Morannon Orcs and Riders of Rohan from the recent boxed game are the same size as the original plastic kits of 20 years ago but the detail on the Pelennor minis is better than the older plastics so I imagine they re-did the moulds prior to production. To my eye the warriors of Dunharrow look a smidge bigger than the other plastic minis in the box but that could be an illusion created by the fact they are modelled wearing billowing robes as it were. I can't comment on the Witch King as I don't have an older model to compare it to.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 07:16:52 PM »
The 00's LoTR mins were the first ones I recall using facial recognition technology to get a seriously accurate depiction of the characters/actors. They were also unusually well proportioned, with very little exaggeration of the weapons and extremities (no doubt the two are linked) which makes them seem smaller than other mins of the same height and although I don't like the plastics of the main characters as much as the metals, I still like the rank and file plastics. Sure, they are single posed with some dead areas of excess plastic, but I think they're still pretty good.

Indulgent anecdote time - I entered a painting competition in my local GW store (first and last time I've ever done that) and took in the metal Boromir I'd spent ages on. When I went back to see how I'd done (the days before widespread social media) the staff were shuffling their feet shamefacedly and I fear the worst, that the model had been half-inched by someone. Turns out they'd entered it in the kids' U14 contest by mistake and it smashed all the competition easily! I won a crappy Warhammer novel about some people adventuring in Lustria against Lizardmen. Don't know how it would have done in the adult competition, but I did feel bad for the kids.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 09:21:28 PM »
lol

Great story Cubs  :)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 10:09:02 PM »
 lol

Amazing. I hope you read the novel, cover to cover.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 11:31:22 AM »
lol

Amazing. I hope you read the novel, cover to cover.

I did, and then I offloaded it to some other poor sap ... can't remember who, it could have been here, the old Warlord board or the WAMP board.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »
So, the new box set has older sculpts but recast with sharper details?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 09:40:41 PM »
I believe to be true judging by comparing my older LoTR orcs and Rohirrim with the Pelennor models.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 11:54:29 AM »
I like the Rohan models in the box set a lot, but how much smaller are they than the newer Theoden that comes in the box? How about the Rohan command models? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Mounted-Rohan-Command-2019

How much smaller than this great witch king model? https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/m-e-sbg-the-witch-king-of-angmar-2021

Is the difference slight or pretty large?

Haven't managed to take pictures but the rohan command miniatures are sized similarly with the older warriors and cavalry (checked with the mounted banner from your link)

The new plastic theoden model is also in line with the older warriors and cavalry. The plastic miniatures in the large boxed set seem more crisp but not sure if it's new molds or a better plastic and injection. Don´t have the new witch-king.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 12:11:41 PM »
The 00's LoTR mins were the first ones I recall using facial recognition technology to get a seriously accurate depiction of the characters/actors. They were also unusually well proportioned, with very little exaggeration of the weapons and extremities (no doubt the two are linked) which makes them seem smaller than other mins of the same height and although I don't like the plastics of the main characters as much as the metals, I still like the rank and file plastics. Sure, they are single posed with some dead areas of excess plastic, but I think they're still pretty good.

Can you find a source for the facial recognition thing? This is the first I have heard of this, and I worked for GW in the mid 2000's. I remember one of the sculptors telling me it took forever to sculpt Liv Tyler's Arwen model.