Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:55:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter is Coming - Conclusion  (Read 14615 times)

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
Re: Winter is Coming - Karstark Swordsmen
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2022, 09:31:57 AM »
Disclaimer: I know nothing about GoT, so I'm only going on the screen shots you posted.

For the lads at the top I'd take a look at the Perry Miniatures WR 50 Foot Knights 1450-1500.

Unsure about helmets for the other chaps. It's the lack of cheek pieces that's throwing me. I think you'll probably have more luck looking at Ancients ranges for a simple 'cap' design rather than medieval ranges, though. Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:33:47 AM by Old Hob »

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Stark Hornblower
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »
@Old Hob thanks for the advice! The Foot Knights definitely have some helmets in the box that would match what I'm looking for and since I'll be needing some of their upper bodies for a later project I'll definitely go with those.

As for the Glovers, I had a look at the Early Roman Legionaries from Victrix and I guess they could work. I'm afraid they will look a bit too distinct from the rest of my army though so am not quite sure. Here is another picture of the Glovers, if anyone else has some ideas for either the bodies or the helmets, please let me know:

I just finished my first 6 Cerwyn axemen and am now waiting for the bits for the last 6 to arrive. Hopefully I will be able to finish those before I leave for my family for Christmas. In the mean time though I decided to put together a hornblower for my Starks from some leftover bits:

I think he's a neat little addition, even more so since he'll allow me to put another model next to Rodrik Cassel in the display now that Galbart Glover will be receiving his own warband to lead.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on the Glovers and stay tuned to see the Cerwyn axemen coming up soon!

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2022, 12:06:24 PM »
Here is another picture of the Glovers, if anyone else has some ideas for either the bodies or the helmets, please let me know:

Don't know how they'd be sizewise, but they kinda remind me of the fireforge dwarf bodies.

Looking at the Rambukk riders sprues I've got some of them might do.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2022, 12:12:51 PM »
Don't know how they'd be sizewise, but they kinda remind me of the fireforge dwarf bodies.

Looking at the Rambukk riders sprues I've got some of them might do.

I've tried those dwarves out before back when I did my Umbers. Unfortunately, their upper bodies are just too small, making them look rather ridiculous when combined with bits from human troops.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2022, 12:36:41 PM »
No worries, I did wonder if that would be the case.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »
Nice project.  Good idea with the Godswood trees.  They look great.

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Cerwyn Axemen
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2022, 12:57:16 PM »
@voltan Yeah, it's a shame really. The models are amazing. If only they would combine well with human sized infantry.

@trev Thanks! Yes, it seems like many people are enjoying those weirwoods.

Alright, so I just managed to finish the last 6 Cerwyn axemen today before leaving for my family for Christmas. The models are made of the same bodies I used for Medger, the Scandinavian Infantry, with Northmen helmets added on. Here is how they turned out:

I quite like the result. That scale armor was a joy to paint, which is nice because I will be using it some more for a later project. I hope you like them as well! For the next ones I was planning to do the Mormonts, but given that I need some parts from the Folk Rabble box which is out of stock at the moment I might just do the Manderlys first. Stay tuned for more!

Oh and any suggestions for either the helmets or upper bodies for the Glovers are still very much welcomed.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2022, 04:25:30 PM »
Those look quite good. Interesting choice to use the Scandinavian figures, since their armour is a much earlier style than the WotR inspiration behind Game of Thrones. I think it works quite well, though, blended into the northmen.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2022, 08:30:04 PM »
Nice work! The Scandinavian bodies work really well here, it gives the Cerwyns a distinct look while also being recognisably Northmen!

In terms of the Glovers, would the GW Warriors of Minas Tirith work for the armour and helmets? If you file down the tree symbolism on them that might be able to work

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2022, 12:32:09 AM »
I think the Minas Tirith warriors are sculpted in the skinny proportions GW used on the earlier LotR figures. If so, they would look like a bunch of 15 year olds next to the beefy Fireforge sculpts. The heads especially tend to look small on the LotR figs next to most 28mm figs. It’s possible the LotR bodies would work with a head swap.

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2022, 06:30:11 AM »
Thanks for the praise guys. I’m glad you like them.

Nice work! The Scandinavian bodies work really well here, it gives the Cerwyns a distinct look while also being recognisably Northmen!

In terms of the Glovers, would the GW Warriors of Minas Tirith work for the armour and helmets? If you file down the tree symbolism on them that might be able to work

I might actually give this a try. Like Pattus said the LotR range is a bit smaller (Fireforge Starks are more like Warhammer size), but is still bulkier than say Perry. So perhaps combining the arms and lower bodies of the Folk Rabble with the Minas Tirith upper bodies would indeed work.

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Wylis Manderly
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2022, 06:38:30 PM »
Back with another update. As you might have seen I recently opened a new thread for my upcoming Riverlands project. I'm still looking for help in finding some of the bits needed so if anyone could tip me on those that would be much appreciated. For now, though, I would like to present you the newest edition to my army: Wylis Manderly.

First of all, why not Wyman? The reason I went with one of his sons is that Wyman wasn't actually down south with Robb during his campaigns and addition it would take too much effort to get a Stark body bulked up far enough to be as fat as it should be for him. Therefore, I went with Wylis.

Now most bits will probably look familiar. I assembled another Northmen Commander and added a head from the Folk Rabble box with a suitable mustache. After that, though, I went with a unique edition in the form of one of the shields from the Scandinavian Infantry box. The same type of shield I'll be using on the swordsmen. Here is how he turned out:

I decided to paint the armor in a different brown to the Starks to add some variety. His mustache was done in white of course. But what makes him really standout is the freehand on his shield of course. I am quite satisfied with the result, though I am definitely not looking forward to having to do it twelve more times...

I hope you like him! Next up will be the Manderly Swordsmen, which are already assembled and ready to be painted next week. Best wishes to you all for the new year and stay tuned!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Winter is Coming - Wylis Manderly
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2023, 06:11:53 AM »
Always good to see a Manderly walrus mustache!  :D

Nice work on the freehand sigil too! The Manderly one is definitely one of the more fiddly coats of arms

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Manderly Heavy Infantry
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2023, 07:24:20 AM »
Always good to see a Manderly walrus mustache!  :D

Nice work on the freehand sigil too! The Manderly one is definitely one of the more fiddly coats of arms

Thanks! Yes, it is rather fiddly. Though I have to say that once you 'divide' the merman into different parts it is actually quite doable to consistently get it matching the previous ones you did.

Speaking of which, I managed to finish his warband. Meet the Manderly Heavy Infantry. For their upper bodies I went with the Northmen Cavalry, giving them that slightly more heavily armored look. Their helmets are from the Perry Foot Knights box, while the shields like the one on Wylis come from the Scandinavians. All other parts are from the Northmen Warriors. Here is how they turned out:

I quite like them and am really happy with the freehands. The colors scheme works as well I think. Only thing I might be looking at to improve is perhaps doing another wash on the faces. One of the issues I have with the Perry brothers is that while their miniatures do look amazing, the depth seems to be lacking a bit in some parts. Certainly when compared to Fireforge miniatures which sometimes almost seem to paint themselves.

I hope you like them as well! I already have 6 of the Mormont Bruisers primed which will be painted in the coming days. After that though I'll have to wait a bit for another box of Folk Rabble to arrive since I'll me needing some more heads to finish the warband. Stay tuned!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Winter is Coming - Manderly Heavy Infantry
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »
Nice work! I like the choice of heads for these, gives them the Manderly southron knightly feel