Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Winter is Coming - Conclusion  (Read 14792 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winter is Coming - Manderly Heavy Infantry
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »
That unit does look good!

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Tournament Update
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2023, 05:22:14 PM »
Thanks again for your comments! Yes, I am rather happy with the way they those helmets give them that southron vibe while the armor itself still allows them to blend in with the Northerners.

While I am still waiting for some bits for my last few Northerners, I actually brought a part of the army to a tournament yesterday. I played them as a 600pts Army of Dunland list in MESBG, finishing 4th out of 18 with two major victories and a minor loss. This also gave me the opportunity to take some shots of the models in a more fitting environment:

The North marches to war

Protecting the Direwolves from Theoden's Riders

Facing off against the Last Alliance in Lords of Battle

Seizing the Prize from the Dragon Emperor

As you can see, the dire wolves (functioning as objective markers) are done and I have added some foliage to the bases of my models. Once I do the final wrap-up of this project I will share some more zoomed in pics.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:26:05 PM by Rosie »

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Glover Billmen
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2023, 12:10:01 PM »
Having finally received the bits for both my Glovers and Mormonts, I am now able to pick the work back up again, having finished the Glover Billmen today.

For their armor, I ended up going with the Knecht Pikemen from Unreleased Miniatures. It seemed to most accurately resemble the armor as shown in the picture from the show. Since the models have armor on their legs though, while the Glovers don't, I needed to find a solution for that.

At first I tried combining the lower bodies of the Folk Rabble with the upper bodies of the Pikemen, but that didn't fit. So instead, I cut off the legs from the Pikemen, swapping them with the legs of some unused models from the Almughavars. It was quite the task, even more so given that I had to glue resin onto plastic, but I managed to do it in the end.

For their lower arms, I went with some free left hands from a number of different boxes. As for their right hands, I knew I needed to give them bills. Military ones seemed a bit too modern to fit the Northern esthetic however, certainly when combined with the plate armor, so I took some spear arms from the Northmen and added parts from the Rabble on top.

After that, all I needed were some helmets. I did look for pointy ones at first, but ended up going with the ones from the Northmen in the end since I preferred the combined look of those and have loads of them laying around anyways. Here is how they turned out:

For their color scheme, I went with the signature grey on what little clothing is shown and leathery brown for their boots, skirts and braces. I am rather happy with the way they look, even more so given how much effort went into first finding the bits to match their show appearance and then into converting them up after.

I hope you like them as well! I should be able to finish the Mormont Bruisers later this week, after which I will finally be able to take some shots of the army all completed...

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2023, 04:37:47 PM »
I like them! With the paint on them the pieces all work together to make cohesive looking figures. I’m looking forward to seeing the army pictures!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2023, 08:19:10 AM »
Nice work! The combination of kits works really well for the Glover look

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Mormont Bruisers
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2023, 07:27:40 AM »
Thanks guys!

So I finished the last of the Mormont Bruisers yesterday. In order to match their show look, I decided to use the Almughavar bodies I also used on the Umbers. The leather armor with metal studs seems to best resemble the Mormont warriors from the show.

For their arms, I went with spears from the Northmen Warriors, then shortened them and added in morning star heads from the Scandinavian Infantry box. For their left arms I used the shield arms from the Northmen Warriors with the same shields I used for lady Mormont.

As for their heads, the Mormont warriors don't seem to wear helmets so Folk Rabble heads seemed the way to go. In order to tackle the baldness problem that seems to be creeping into my army I also added in a few heads from the Scandinavian infantry. Here's how they turned out:

Their painting scheme is mostly similar to the Starks as the show colors of the Mormont warriors seem to match them rather well. Now that they're done as well, I finished the last few models in the army. I hope you like them! Somewhere next week I'll be taking the full army pics.

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Conclusion
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2023, 05:03:41 PM »
Now that my army has been completed, I brought them to my local store for some pictures earlier this week. Here is a full shot of the fierce Northerners marching south in support of the Young Wolf:

Houses Karstark, Mormont and Glover led into battle on the right flank by their lords along with Grey Wind, Summer and Shaggydog beneath the first Weirwood tree:

Robb Stark leading by example, his horsemen backed up by Rodrik Cassel and the Stark Swordsmen holding the center while Halys Hornwood and his longbowmen unleash a deadly volley from the back:

Houses Umber, Manderly and Cerwyn led into battle on the left flank by their lords along with Ghost, Lady and Nymeria beneath the second Weirwood tree:

All in all, the army amounts to 120 models. It has been great fun working on it and I would like to thank you all for the advice, help and praise I received over the past 8 months.

With one kingdom now fully done, however, there are still six more to explore. Next up I will be working on two different projects. The first one will involve the Riverlords and can be found using the link below:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=139494

The second one I am keeping a surprise. For now though I hope you all enjoyed this little journey. And remember: Winter is Coming...

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2023, 06:09:10 PM »
Well done completing your army! They look the part and it’s been interesting hearing about your process for converting/ kitbashing figs to get the look you want. I’ll be following the other threads.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2023, 07:34:28 PM »
Looks really nice indeed!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2023, 09:39:45 PM »
Well done - not just on completing a fairly ambitious army in an extremely reasonable time, but also on converting so much of it too!

What are your next plans? Will you be tackling the raising of another new force in Westeros, or heading off to a new setting?  :)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »
Great looking army and scenery that you have put together there.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2023, 01:24:37 AM »
Great work on the project! It's been a lot of fun seeing the progress!

Looking forward to the Riverlords!

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2023, 11:57:16 AM »
Thanks for all the praise! I am glad to hear you all enjoyed this project and are looking forward to seeing the next! I just added a little preview to my Riverlands thread, so feel free to check it out.

@Major_Gilbear both of my next projects will tackle other forces from Westeros. The first one, which is already up, follows the same concept as this one but for the Riverlands. The second one will be 'Westeros inspired', blending in elements from the World of Ice and Fire with another fantasy setting. Over the coming few years I am planning to do every single house in Westeros that has appeared on the shows.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2023, 05:09:47 PM »
[...] Over the coming few years I am planning to do every single house in Westeros that has appeared on the shows.
Goodness me, that's a lot of forces!  :o  Well, if these are anything to go by, I'm sure you'll do them justice - and I hope that we can follow along here with your progress on them.  :)