Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Andor (possible spoilers)  (Read 14980 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Andor
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 04:23:57 PM »
What's an OAP?

Old Aged Pensioner  (UK speak) :D

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 08:20:24 AM »
What's an OAP?
My biggest issue (besides the shiny bikers) was that Fett talked so much, going against one of the most iconic aspects of the character.  I read somewhere that Temura felt the same way.  I would have much preferred less talking more nuance from writers and directors who trusted their viewers.

I prefer small stories without galaxy spanning implications told well and I don't mind at all if they're somewhat derivative  Mando nailed that while hitting every western trope in just the right way.  Fett could have been the same with gangster tropes but fell a bit flat. 

Andor could pull a Mando with spy tropes. Fingers crossed...

I'd have been more than happy with "Godfather in space" - but I rather felt that the Corleones would have wiped the floor with Fett with minimal collateral damage and maximum profit. His character just didn't seem very bright for someone who wanted to be a senior mobster (senior in role, I mean, he's got the "senior" in age terms nailed). And the Mods in space were a bit rubbish too.

Way back in the day there used to be a series called "Police Story" on American TV - it was basically a series of one hour programmes that had nothing in common except that the lead character was an LA policeman of one sort or another, detective, patrol officer, motorcycle cop, whatever. There wasn't any overlap between the shows, they were written by different people, had a completely different cast, varied from dark drama to comedy etc - you never knew what you were going to get from week to week. I think the studio liked it because they could try out different ideas, actors, writers and if something seemed to work very well they could look at making it into a series ("Police Woman" was quietly piloted via the series). I can't help thinking that perhaps Lucas / Disney should consider doing something similar - not a cop show but there must be oodles of small, low budget sci-fi ideas knocking around that could be shoehorned into the SW "universe" that wouldn't warrant a series but an episode - put half a dozen ideas together and you have an "SW Story".

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 09:10:17 AM »
perhaps Lucas / Disney should consider doing something similar - not a cop show but there must be oodles of small, low budget sci-fi ideas knocking around that could be shoehorned into the SW "universe" that wouldn't warrant a series but an episode - put half a dozen ideas together and you have an "SW Story".

It is a good ay of trying out ideas, writers etc.
The BBC used to have 'Comedy Playhouse' one episode became a long running comedy,
'Steptoe & Son'.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 09:37:51 AM »
This is one I’m really looking forward to  8)

https://youtu.be/cKOegEuCcfw

Looks to be an expansive budget, some good actors, some great visual transitions between the originals and the prequels and more importantly, so much gaming potential  :D

Let’s try and keep it focussed on the series itself and gaming if we can  ;)

With your last point in mind……

Rogue One was my absolute (by a long country mile) favourite of the SWs movies and so I can’t help but be intrigued by a prequel. The trailer looks very good (I like that some of the weapons have a contemporary appearance) and there’s much in there to influence my own non-SW SciFi project (which despite being non-SW includes Wookies). I’m not a subscriber to Disney+ but at less than the cost of a packet of minis a month I’m very tempted for this.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 04:00:47 PM »
I like that some of the weapons have a contemporary appearance

One of my favourite Star Wars drinking games is "Name the Converted Real Gun".  lol

Must admit this looks good to me too, although may suffer from a bulletproof main character as we know exactly how and when he dies...

That said, visuals are super and more SW can't be a bad thing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 10:12:24 PM by JollyBob »

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 01:50:37 AM »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2022, 01:52:17 AM »
While my hobby excesses are miniature and painting related, my wife's are movie related including Netflix, Disney plus, surround sound and a wonderfully large flat screen tv. I have enjoyed all the SW series so far. Definitely looking forward to the this release.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »
Very keen to see this rogue one did the best job of capturing the empire in my eyes not just goombas but a regime that is pressing into the galaxy's freedoms, plus alot of cool themes the blade runner inspired hive city being one of my favourite scenes.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 11:17:43 AM »
plus alot of cool themes the blade runner inspired hive city being one of my favourite scenes.

I think that's Coruscant  ???
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 12:21:28 PM »
More rebel scum...

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2022, 02:33:42 PM »
This is actually the first Star Wars show that looks promising. Mandalorian was okay, but at the end of the day, it was a western written for 14 year olds, and had all the sophistication that allowed. Rogue One, on the other hand, was originally too serious for Disney, which was why it had reshoots. Even acknowledging the editing mess that the final released version was, it was still far and away the best thing Disney has done with Star Wars so far. If the Andor show can live up to that trailer, it might be really good. I liked the Andor character, and I like the idea of a serious-toned show about the start of the Rebellion. As long as they can stay away from having too much MCU humor.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2022, 03:11:12 PM »
This is actually the first Star Wars show that looks promising. Mandalorian was okay, but at the end of the day, it was a western written for 14 year olds, and had all the sophistication that allowed.

While I enjoyed the show it's nice to know it was not just me who found the story a bit paper thin. I understand the criticism of disney's plot lines, but I'm still willing to watch it for the set designs alone. Though I haven't done any sci-fi gaming in a while, if I were to it is the disney tv shows I'd go to for inspiration.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2022, 04:31:22 AM »
While I enjoyed the show it's nice to know it was not just me who found the story a bit paper thin. I understand the criticism of disney's plot lines, but I'm still willing to watch it for the set designs alone. Though I haven't done any sci-fi gaming in a while, if I were to it is the disney tv shows I'd go to for inspiration.

I got that right away, from the first episode.  It was for young adults.  But I like Westerns, even in space.  Specially in space.  :)

Dan

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 09:03:51 AM »
For me, the Star Wars films have all been Saturday afternoon, B movie, tosh, as substantial as candyfloss, full of missed opportunities, tropes and stereotypes.
And yet ... and yet, I have been as swept up by Darth Vader, Boba Fett, the Millennium Falcon, Leia Organa et al as any fourteen year old.
The best I can really say about the franchise is that without it we would probably never had The Expanse, Firefly, Killjoys, Dark Matter, etc.
Apparently my kids now have Disney, time to suggest I pop round, provide pizza or burritos and watch something, I guess.  :)
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2022, 06:22:42 PM »
Rogue One was my absolute (by a long country mile) favourite of the SWs movies and so I can’t help but be intrigued by a prequel.

The same here.
And if someone doesnt like the series at least it will have loots of goodies/ideas for our games and scratchbuilt stuff. ;D

Looking forward for it. :)