Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Proxies needed for early Citadel Medievals  (Read 1079 times)

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
Proxies needed for early Citadel Medievals
« on: August 03, 2022, 08:54:22 PM »
Rewording this from my "Wanted" post. Can anyone recommend suitable stand-in horses for Citadel's M series medievals (the HYW not WoTR range)?

Looking for both barded and unbarded.
Sincerely hoping the hive mind will solve!

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
Re: Proxies needed for early Citadel Medievals
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 10:00:44 PM »
Have you tried Wargames Foundry?

They have these actually listed under EX-Citadel Early Medieval / Barons Wars / The 13th Century

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/early-medieval-barons-wars-the-13th-century

Guessing someine bought the moulds back in the day I think he's an ex sculpter but not sure which one. So no need for a seems like you can still get the original deal :)

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:47:36 PM »
So not those ones. The ones I am talking about are a very early Perry range, around 1980, pics here:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Historical_-_Medieval

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 06:06:29 AM »
Have you had a look at Gripping Beast Front Rank range ? The horses are sold separately so could get a sample. I do not 'know' if any use but have used them with the later Foundry Models (having to sort the saddle out) after reading this blogsite;

http://harness-and-array.blogspot.com/2017/08/french-knights-for-crecy.html

Simon is painterman this board so he may have more information for you?

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 08:07:02 AM »
So not those ones. The ones I am talking about are a very early Perry range, around 1980, pics here:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Historical_-_Medieval

Good luck with your search, but I think trying to find early Ex-Citadel sculptered and styled like of a particular range 40 years on is going to be a Holy Grail of Hen's Teeth. Also It depends what your 'settle' for when it comes to difference between any new sculpt and the originals, as unless a direct copy it may always be a not quite right.

Citadel Medievals
The miniatures were integrated into the C26 & C38 ranges in 1983. Most were then sold to Wargames Foundry when Citadel stopped making historical ranges.

So unless a niche range is brought up if Ral Partha or ebay is also no good then there's 3D Print, and Wargames Atlantic have released a horse pack if your any good with Sculpting green stuff and the size still fits anbd Conquest games do some Perry Like minis of dark age cavalry.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 08:49:37 AM by AdmiralAndy »

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
Some good suggestions, and yes a real holy grail!
I bought a few at the time, but they were 3 or 4 times the price of minifigs, my money didn't stretch that far. :D

There is a Garrison pose that works quite well, Minifigs horses at a real pinch. I also want to check out Ral Partha, Essex and Irregular as not sure if they class as small or "regular" 28s.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »
Happy to hear my mad musings may yet be of sense :)

Your talking about ye olde ranges reminded me of Old Glory UK and its various sub ranges which seems to cover from infinity and beyond and a fair bit of historical in the style of from back in the day.

https://www.oldgloryuk.com/part-1-the-crecy-war/3/42/618/666

So maybe these maybe of use, but I think that's about it, worse thing will be the right look but wrong scale, hope your able to find a budget friendly source in timely fashion :)

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2022, 11:10:13 AM »
The limited experience I have with Ral Partha historicals is that their ancients are 25mm and on the small side at that.