Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Project - AKSHEBA - War Ladies and Temple dancers added 08 Nov  (Read 2473 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
I have decided to use up as much of the plastic and lead mountain on a fantasy nation, its people and army.  It is partly based on the Black Kingdoms of Hyboria but mostly how My Imagination sees the figures fitting together into units and characters.  In the project I will be using a large amount of my Darkest Africa tribal figures as well as making more fantasy elements from my various leftover plastic sprues and bits into units as well as any metal figures I have found that are vaguely Afro-Greek.  So there are already Reaper, Ral Partha, Foundry, RAFM, Hasslefree, Garrison and more as well as a few plastic toys lined up. Many are primed and some have been started.

As always suggestions, ideas and comments welcome.

So what about AKSHEBA?

This land is ruled by hereditary queens all of whom, on taking the throne, adopt the title/name Kandake (or Candace or Qandaqe).  It is a hilly and forested land cut and flanked by wide, deep rivers.  The land is fertile and produces vast quantities of high quality grain. Vegetables, spices and excellent beef.  In the hills and mountains there are mines for iron, gold, silver and gemstones.  These same hillsides produce excellent wine The rivers are the main transportation routes and boats the main means of transport and virtually all large settlements lie along them.  The land is divided into what are effectively Tribal States each ruled by a Great Family who provide a hereditary Primarchon as leader assisted by a number of Archons (often family members) who command armies, act as magistrates and fulfil many other roles. Below them are the Zeugon families who provide the bulk of the administrative, commercial and military leaders.
Due to prevalence of what Korinithian doctors call hippomoiraios (horse death) there are very few horses.  It is a disease carried by stinging flies that infects non-native horses, drives them uncontrollably mad and then kills them in a matter of a few days.  Conventional cavalry, therefore, is seldom seen on the battlefield though their place is often taken by zebra centaurs who are immune.  That said, recruited from the youths of the aristocracy a light cavalry force can occasionally be found mounted on some of the very few local horses.  They generally perform scouting, foraging, skirmishing and occasionally combat missions.  The bulk of the armies of the various Chiefs are the fast moving tribal infantry spearmen and archers backed by some heavy infantry in Greek style armour and equipment and a few okapi satyr light infantry.  When shock action is needed Great Rhino, Great Buffalo and Giant War Elephants may be deployed.
The Royal Family claim that their ancestors are descended from ancient Korinthia (some say Atlantis) and over the centuries of interbreeding with the local population the paler skins have all but disappeared.  Very occasionally a white skinned child is born who is then educated by the priests to be the oracle of the gods. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:32:01 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: New Project Coming Soon - AKSHEBA
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 08:55:21 PM »
I like it, love the subject matter, similar but still very different from one of my Sludge projects. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in miniature.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 09:01:46 PM »
That’s a fascinating sounding setting, I am looking forward to seeing it come together in miniature!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 09:24:00 PM »
Very creative setting.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - First Units
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 04:07:04 PM »
The project is now well under way.  I started with the Queen herself, her priestess (girls born with the lighter skin inherited from Korinthian or Atlantean ancestors are educated to become priestesses) and guards.

I bought Wargames Atlantic Centaurs on a whim.  They are a bit smaller than my other centaurs so they have been repurposed and converted into zebra centaurs:

I also bought the fauns and tried (not very successfully) to paint them with okapi style markings

And finally for now my favourite unit so far, amazons mounted on war buffalo

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - First Units
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
I like the direction you’re going with this project- there’s a neat variety of units so far. I don’t think I have seen anything along these lines before.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - Some Characters
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 09:29:33 AM »
Not much progress with this over the past wee while.  Busy with events relating to the death of Queen Elizabeth.

Anyway in my "down time" :

Some courtiers found in the lead mountain.  Not sure when or where I got them but they look the part.  Likely to become court functionaries or wives or merchants ...

Princess Mizikalie a high ranking officer

A slightly converted and repurposed LOTR Uruk Hai to become the army standard bearer Darakara

General Laungspir

Commander Hawkana

Captain Berzarkah

Three witchdoctors

Started on the first units of infantry.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 09:33:35 AM by dadlamassu »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - Infantry updated 20 Sep
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 02:59:57 PM »
The centre of the battle line is traditionally held by the heavy infantry. 

The first unit is a Royal unit of the permanent army dressed entirely in Greek style bronze armour and equipment except that their shields are partly covered with the traditional hide.  Recruited from the best and fittest young men.  They are armed with their long spears and strong discipline they are formidable and almost invulnerable to their tribal opponents. Simple paint job conversions except for the officer who is a converted Zulu.

The second unit is similar but raised from the richer tribes.  Again armoured in Greek style but with predominantly linen armour but with traditional tribal cow hide shields while many also prefer their traditional
 headdress.  They are armed with long spears and heavy single edged stabbing and slashing swords.  They are faster moving than the heavier Royal troops. Made by using Hoplites, spare Zulu heads and shields from the unit below.

Usually flanking these troops are the lighter armoured infantry of the tribes. 
This regiment is a Royal one with Romanesque helmets, Greek style shields similar in pattern to those of the heavy infantry.  Armed with spears, javelins and axes they are capable of the clearing the way through the jungle and the enemy troops.  Simple head swops with left over Republican Roman heads and the shield arms from the hoplites above.

The second unit is again tribal light infantry with spears, knobkerries, javelins, tribal shields and Republican Roman heads.  Again Zulus, Republican Roman heads and a few weapon swops. 

On the way - archers, warbands and ..... wait for it ..... Giant Elephants, rhino cavalry and  maybe giant rhinos and perhaps something that flies if I can find something suitable.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - New characters added 16 Sep
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 03:15:28 PM »
Just found this project and love it. the background is interesting along with the fantasy elements like the centours and fauns. Do you have an enamy force in mind? Any any rules you are building those for?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:36:58 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - Infantry added 20 Sep
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 04:24:52 PM »
Just found this project and love it. the background is interesting along with the fantasy elements like the centours and fauns. Do you have an enamy force in mind? Any any rules you are building those for?

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Aksheba fits into our long running Fantasy world of Morval Earth.   We use out own rules and the enemies include many real and fantasy races from the nations that border Aksheba:
Qush - More African types (think east Africa)
Elem - Ancient and fantasy Egyptians and Biblicals
Oblivia - Ancient and Mythical Greeks

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - Giant War Holiphaunt added 27 Oct
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 04:26:12 PM »
At the weekend I picked up a toy elephant from a bargain bin in the toy shop for £2.  After a but of cutting, card, toothpicks, chain, milliput and paint the result is ready for war.  As it was an impulse buy it lacks a crew (ideas on the theme please) and when I showed it to my grandson he decided that it should be added to his LOTR Harad army.  So it will serve in both.

The Holiphaunt comes from the far reaches of Aksheba the verdant grasslands to the east of Harachan where they graze at the foot of the Mountains. The adult Holiphaunt is too wild and dangerous to capture and train, so the young are taken for training. It takes many long years to train a Holiphaunt but they live very long lives, often three or even four times that of the lifespan of a man.  A very few bull holiphaunts grow to absolutely enormous proportions dwarfing even the largest of their brethren. Thus they require a stream of hereditary mahouts and trainers.

The enemy's view

Crew compartment

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 05:40:37 PM »
Pretty cool.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 07:17:59 PM »
That looks awesome! It seems like a great centerpiece for the army, too.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: New Project - AKSHEBA - Infantry added 20 Sep
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 07:28:46 PM »
Sorry for the delay in responding.  Aksheba fits into our long running Fantasy world of Morval Earth.   We use out own rules and the enemies include many real and fantasy races from the nations that border Aksheba:
Qush - More African types (think east Africa)
Elem - Ancient and fantasy Egyptians and Biblicals
Oblivia - Ancient and Mythical Greeks
nice, so you have any links to them as well? Or are they waiting to be built?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 07:38:51 AM »
 A cool project - I like how you are pulling together the various kits - but still keeping an overall theme

That holiphant is huge!