Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:25:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Bearwoodman in Frostgrave: An Incomplete History  (Read 21050 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Bearwoodman in Frostgrave: An Incomplete History
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2022, 05:21:44 AM »
Doug seems to have inspired both the Mad Lord and I to have a go at this Frostgrave malarki. 

Your thread is also amazingly inspirational, I'm impressed by the work you've put into each individual game requirement, painting and sculpting a specific item for 1 game is way beyond my intention so I'm going to be fudging most of it.

Thanks for the thread, I've really enjoyed reading it.
Cheers

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2022, 11:54:55 AM »
Ohhh - hello; Vaggers has finally ventured here. There goes the neighbourhood…. :)

Actually I’m quite chuffed that some idiotic ideas I had about playing Frostgrave without the proper scenery have taken root in the fertile (but horribly twisted) brains of Vaggers and The Mad Lord. Watch out for more on Scungrave (no, Martin, I’m not using your version of the name on this gentlemanly forum).

Doug

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2022, 02:04:43 PM »
Pattus Magnus: Thank you!  I was hoping that it would set a grim mood for the scenario, even more so than the Dark Cauldron in the previous game.  I was trying to build a sense of mounting unease for the players as they work their way through the Campaign and the Lich Lord’s diabolical plans are gradually revealed.

syrinx0: Thanks.  Its shape means that it takes up a fairly imposing amount of space on the board but helpfully packs away very easily. I just need to now think of another situation in which it might be useful!

Grumpy Gnome: Thanks Grumpy Gnome, I am glad you like it!

snitcythedog: Thanks!  I look forward to seeing your group’s version.

Bloggard: Cheers Bloggard!

Mad Lord Snapcase/Doug ex-em4/Vagabond: If my thread has in some small way provided encouragement to you esteemed Gentlemen to give this game a(nother) go then I am very pleased (unless, of course, you play it and don’t enjoy it in which case I will let Doug ex-em4 take the blame and I want it placed on record that I said all along that it was not a game for everyone and that you lot specifically would hate it). 

As you can probably tell from this thread I like Frostgrave because the game it gives me the right amount of structure and direction in terms of the requirements for each scenario while also leaving enough space to be filled by imagination and improvisation and I am very much looking forward to seeing what your imaginations come up with (please ensure it is posted on the forum!). 

Your setting is intriguing – presumably “Scungrave” is the name given to the frozen monster-infested ruin that was created when the magical cataclysm befell the third largest settlement in North Lincolnshire?

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2022, 02:09:34 PM »
Dark Alchemy

The Alchemical Monstrosity

Talking of fertile and horribly twisted brains my daughter (aged 7) made a figure out of clay which inspired my son and I to have a go at one of the Scenarios in the Frostgrave Folio.  Behold, if you dare, the Alchemical Monstrosity!:

She sculpted it, painted it and controlled it in the game herself.
The scenario involved my son and I each controlling a handful of figures each (including one spellcaster).   I used a Games Workshop Water Elf that I was in the process of painting at the time (a very complex but impressive sculpt) along with my trusty Thieving Thegn and a musket armed cultist. 

My son took his Gnoll, the Blue Knight and a newly painted armoured ghost.

I seem to remember most of our figures managing to avoid the Monstrosity, deal with the rats and escape unharmed. Most, that is, but not all.  The Saxon Thief was obviously out of practice at this sort of thing (having not seen an active game board for some time) and found himself cornered by the hulking and deformed Monstrosity.  Neither his length of rope nor his little knife was much use and he was devoured, much to the satisfaction of my daughter.

Gulp!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2022, 03:01:16 PM »
Bearwoodsman - thanks for your remarks - it’s quite startling how quickly you got onto the derivation of our alternative FG setting.

I love your daughters Alchemical Monstrosity. I just played that scenario as a standard (ie not-Scungrave) game and had to repurpose an old Cthulhu monster for the Alchemical beast.

Doug

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2022, 03:03:06 PM »
I have been following this thread for a wee while and I have been quite taken by your efforts in making the various terrain items.  In particular I thought the Dark Cauldron excellent.  Unfortunately I have a shellfish allergy and will need to find an alternative source of the fine looking cauldron you made. 

Coincidentally I have been writing a series of scenarios inspired by a chat with my son where a force of Romans will land on an island that resembles mythological Ireland (a bit) using my Alternative Armies figures (now marketed as their Erin range).  In one of the planned scenarios the Romans need to capture or destroy a cauldron (similar to "Pair Dadeni" of Welsh Legend) that resurrects the dead to fight again.

I have a, so far unused, set of 1st edition Frostgrave rules that I was won in a raffle.  Not sure if they would work for this campaign as son would like larger forces but may try them out later in another.

Anyway thanks for sharing this inspirational thread. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2022, 03:11:18 PM »
Fair play to your daughter mate, she has constructed quite the hungry terror there! Great to see the family sharing in the fun! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »
Neat!
I remember getting the Grenadier bulletin/newsletter in the 80s- that's where I learned about the Call of Cthulhu game, and from there I discovered HP Lovecraft and the very deep rabbit hole...

I recall the newsletter that showed off the Cthonian release, had a pic of that miniature :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2022, 10:15:39 AM »
Apologies for the delay in updating this thread and thanks for the comments.

Doug ex-em4: That Cuthulu terror works very well. I know there is much discussion about the need for specific scenery/monsters in Frostgrave but when you need an Alchemical Monstrosity pretty much anything goes! And there is something deeply unpleasant about something that pink.

dadlamassu: Thanks for the comment! It is a shame that your allergy precludes using the same jar as I did, but no doubt there are other potential sources for the foundation of a similar project. Are you able to consume peanut butter? Or jam? (Not necessarily at the same time). If all else fails it is possible to buy empty glasswear of a suitable shape, but is it is of course nice to do a bit of recycling (and have something tasty to eat while doing so).

Grumpy Gnome: Thanks - I showed your comment to my daughter and she was chuffed!

Dr Mathias: I actually know very little about Lovecraft and his work, and most of what I do know was learned from this forum.  My key takeaway so far is that many Lovecraft-inspired miniatures, when well painted, look very unpleasant indeed!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2022, 11:11:06 AM »
The Thaw of the Lich Lord

Scenario Ten: The Final Battle

The climax of this campaign, as the title suggests, was to be closer to a pitched battle between the Wizards and the forces of the Lichlord than the usual Wizard v Wizard treasure hunt.  One of the other players offered to construct the wall of the Lichlord's fortress that was to form one side of the table, so it was my job to put together the forces of Darkness.

First up were the Death Cultists. I had already made 5 cultists from a sprue of the official Frostgrave figures (and featured in previous scenarios) but I needed to expand the group. I wanted to make a unit of 12 so that it would be suitable for Dragon Rampant, so using other bodies (mainly Gripping Beast Arabs), the generous number of spare heads on the Cultist sprue and some judicious milliput application I filled out my rag-tag mob of desperate and gullible fanatics.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
Brilliant work mate, they look the part! 👏🏻

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2022, 11:24:41 AM »
Next were some Armoured Skeletons. These were comprised of figures from the North Star Undead Encounters set, plus a few odds and ends (including some kind of Roman I got free with a magazine - there is a bit more flesh on him than the others but there is a skeleton inside him waiting to get out, honest!).

The colour scheme for the shields was shamelessly copied from Knight-Captain Tyr's wonderful Black Order on the Fantasy Board.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2022, 11:29:14 AM »
And of course we needed the Lichlord himself!

A lovely chunky metal Gripping Beast Saga figure.

And with his horde:

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2022, 12:01:57 PM »
Excellent job on the figures you put together for the scenario! I like your kit bashed and the colour palette a lot.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2022, 02:25:59 PM »
Very cool units, I really like the cultists.