Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "True" 15 mm SYW >Size of Old Glory 10 mm SYW figures?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
"True" 15 mm SYW >Size of Old Glory 10 mm SYW figures?
« on: December 01, 2022, 04:47:24 AM »
I've 'stumbled' across a very nice painted collection of Seven Years War figures that, for the foot figures, measure 15 mm to top of head/hat.   Collection is just Austrians and Prussians but that fits with my area of interest for the conflict.

Only things that really need to be added to the collection are generals, maybe some varied artillery, lighter pieces and limbers, and for the Prussians, some Jagers.  But generals are the real need.

Does anyone know if there is any commonly available range out there that would match to such small "15 mm" figures?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:42:13 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
Re: "True" 15 mm Seven Years War figures?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 05:23:26 AM »
One thing does occur: Kallistra's 12mm AWI range. Sorry 7YW not really my period so I can't advise how suitable the figures would be, but at that scale you might be able to get away with it, if they fit visually.

Hopefully the real 7YW folks will have better suggestions!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:39 AM »
Unfortunately your description of 15mm to top of head/hat leaves a lot of latitude!  I have the old Freikorps range released back in the '80s/'90s when 15mm meant 15mm. They measure 15mm from foot to the top of a bare head. However figures with tall Prussian Grenadier helmets are more like 18-19mm to the top of the helmet.  Freikorps produce a pack of mounted colonels, mounted "personalities" and limbers for both Austria and Prussia plus Prussian jagers. They also produce a nice range of artillery pieces and commissariat equipment such as wagons etc. I'm sure there are nicer figures out there as they are quite old sculpts, but I still buy them and have just refurbished my own SYW Prussian army using them.   They are now sold by QRF Models.  If you pm me your e-mkail address I can send you some photos albeit the photos on the website are pretty decent.

Regards.     

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 08:06:43 AM »
Essex? I recall them being fairly petite and most of their ranges date to when 15mm was indeed 15mm.

There was another, fairly extensive SYW range in 15mm back in the 1970s/80s.  Damned if I can remember their name now. I suppose if I flicked through some old copies of Military Modelling I could find their name. They weren't very attractive sculpts IIRC especially compared to the Essex ones but  they were the first I knew of and they were the most complete range from memory. Probably long OOP anyway.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 08:07:07 AM »
Ah yes it was Friekorps!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 10:50:43 AM »
I have both Essex and Freikorps in my army. Sizewise they fit together OK but very different sculpting styles. Essex are "cleaner" models but Freikorps have a certain charm to them.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 06:28:34 PM »
I'll try and get a picture up later but I'm pretty sure most contemporary ranges would dwarf these figures - I have lots of QRF/Freikorps figures and they are bigger.  Essex would really dwarf these figures.

The Kallistra lead might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any 18th century Kallistra figures they can measure - especially mounted figures?

Oh, and the grenadiers do measure 18/19 mm to top of mitre caps.  Mounted Prussian Hussar measure 21 mm to top of headgear.

Not sure if they did a SYW range but these figures put me in mind of the old Editions Brokaw range as far as size of figures go.

Thanks for all the replies so far and anymore that might help out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:30:17 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 09:19:11 PM »
Yes photos would help but my knowledge of old 18th century figure range isn't great. 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 01:04:57 AM »
I now suspect these are not 15 mm figures at all - despite what the ruler says.  You can see both a mounted and foot figure in the images below that are 15 mm figures - unfinished just handy for the photo.  And they literally tower over the figures in question.

The boxes these figures were in said 6 mm but I very much doubt that unless there is a range of REALLY large 6 mm figures out there.  More likely they are either large 12 mm figures or Extra Large 10 mm figures.  Does anyone recognize who makes the smaller figures - there is a stand of musketeers and one of grenadiers plus some cavalry and artillery (the gun carriage will get some 'improvements' going forward.  In the brighter light of day, and to my relief, there is plenty of variety in the guns so I'll stand with those.)?

Again, thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 01:12:47 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: "True" 15 mm SYW figures with photos or 10 mm???
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 06:19:19 AM »
The only 10mm SYW I know of are Pendraken and OG/Blue Moon, and judging by the poses they aren't by these manufacturers. A real mystery!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 10:37:20 PM »
They look 12mm to me...perhaps they are Kallistra after all!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 12:43:23 AM »
I was able to get someone semi-local to measure a Kallistra figure, an ACW general, and it measured to match to my measurement of the hussar.  Kallistra doesn't seem to have a current SYW line but they do have AWI so I will order some of their general packs and hope for the best.  Stay tuned....

Thanks for all the input.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 05:08:42 AM »
Not sure if they did a SYW range but these figures put me in mind of the old Editions Brokaw range as far as size of figures go.

Editions Brokaw did produce SYW figures. They were very small 'true' 15mm figs. Long OOP, so that's no help for you to fill your collection out. First Edition Minifigs might mix with them, if you could find any of those. I don't know of anyone currently producing SYW in true old school 15mm.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: "True" 15 mm SYW >Size of Old Glory 10 mm SYW figures?
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 09:45:07 PM »
I've held off on ordering Kallistra figures - that international phone call and AWI versus SYW and no Jaeger figures.  However, Old Glory 10 mm figures include SYW and there are jaegers.  I was able to find that at least some ranges of Old Glory's 10 mm figures (formerly Magnificent Little Soldier figures?) were 13/14 mm height - and that from the sculptor himself.  Emailed Old Glory but no response yet.

So, anyone have Old Glory 10 mm Seven Years War figures you can measure and advise of their true size?  Much appreciated if you can.  Thanks!

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
Re: "True" 15 mm SYW >Size of Old Glory 10 mm SYW figures?
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 04:15:26 PM »
I have some Prussian fusiliers on the workbench - they are 10mm foot to eye.

Cheers Fedja