Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 808
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative bodies compatible with War of the Roses Perry Miniatures (new set)  (Read 62011 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Yeah, they are pretty fancy. But i thought that was the Burgundian thing, looking good and fighting good. that is at least until the trees start speaking Swiss.  lol
Hmm maybe two sets, one kind of at ease or marching. And one the other actually getting aggressive and advancing or getting ready to receive a charge or attack would be cool. (Before they are literary stuck by spears, crossbows and pikes)
I also think a set like the Perry Italian sword and shield men, only in Burgundian/renaissance Romanisqe armor would look pretty damn cool as well.
Other ideas, maybe a few camp, or noncombatant vignettes?
And one thing I just want and can't seem to find, a head set with bellows face sallet helmets. I am doing an early Henry the 8th army using steel fist dollies and trying to convert over some of the perry plastics and would love too more than a few. And my press molded helmets are ok, just not the best quality. ::)
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Heck the Alla Antica style could be used as Fantasy late medieval romans as well.
Like for the not Roaman faction in games like made "famous by my sword". That you already made a guy for.  ;D
Of course, now i am thinking of archers, cavalry, crossbowmen and hand gunners.  lol
Or maybe just use them as the leaders and bodyguards of commanders and use the rest of the perry medieval line for the rank and file. ::)
But they do strike a very heroic style and look. Even if not the most functional on the battlefield.
Like I wonder how historically accurate this bloke on the cover of the Medieval warfare magazine special "Fall of Constantinople", is. 
https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/en-us/products/mw-special-1
Looks good ether way you slice it.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Heck the Alla Antica style could be used as Fantasy late medieval romans as well.
Like for the not Roaman faction in games like made "famous by my sword". That you already made a guy for.  ;D
Of course, now i am thinking of archers, cavalry, crossbowmen and hand gunners.  lol
Or maybe just use them as the leaders and bodyguards of commanders and use the rest of the perry medieval line for the rank and file. ::)
But they do strike a very heroic style and look. Even if not the most functional on the battlefield.
Like I wonder how historically accurate this bloke on the cover of the Medieval warfare magazine special "Fall of Constantinople", is. 
https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/en-us/products/mw-special-1
Looks good ether way you slice it.

I really like that style of armor. It just hits my Greco-Roman soft spot. Unfortunatelly there are not any remains that I know off of a similar armour from Constantinople. But in my mind its very plausible. By the time of the fall most of the Roman (they never called themselves Byzantine) armor making centers have collapse. It is expected that most of the nobles and men at arms would wear armour made in Italy not a clibanion lamelar armor. But I believe that at least the richer ones would not resist to add some ''classical'' elements to their custom armour. They really believed that they were the inheritors of Greece and Rome. They talked about it casually in a way that might seem strange to people today considering the centuries past. Ι mean even at the very last moment, Constantine IX in his last speech at the eve of the final stage of the siege, addressing the nobles, soldiers and people of the City, casually added references to the Carthaginian Wars and called his people offsprings of the Greeks and the Romans.

The full speech is here as recorded by Georgios Sfrantzes, the emperor's best friend and official. Pure real Gondor moments

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
That is a pretty impressive speech. And yeah, Rome in the east lasted 1000 years after the fall of the Empire of the west. And more Hellenic than Latin in lots of ways. Just not in clibanion lamelar in the end. lol
Yeah, i have seen some interesting takes on later forces of Constantinople. Some looking like Italians, some having a very middle eastern look and others so where in-between. Not forgetting the Heroic takes depicting them in a Rennaissance view of what a Roman should look like.
Now Of course, i do want to do forces for HYW, WOTR and Early Tudor.
But a part of me was always interested in the Fall of the Eastern Empire. And it always feels strange to me when folks are playing "late' Byzantine forces in 800-900 ad kit. I am like dude, there has been 500 years of change in fashion by that point. :D
And I guess that's one reason why I was taken in by the Neo-Roman look, its feels old, and might not have every been used. But still has a bit of functionality to it and would make for a great fantasy none GWs or Peter Jacksons film look for the forces of Gondor. 
Still glorious, wealthy and martial in appearance. But does the look match their action on the field of battle?  ;)
So I am looking forward to seeing a what you make of them. If nothing else, they will make for some good-looking bodyguards/leaders of a unit. Or as standalone paladins in a skirmish game.
Oh and this is interesting.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:54:06 PM by commissarmoody »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Ι started 2 more bodies, I’m going to try a gothic armour. I blame Charlie  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
No one needs a excuse to make Gothic armor..that stuff is sexy.  lol

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
I also got another box of mounted men at arms today. Oh God....  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
It's a good box set.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Ι started 2 more bodies, I’m going to try a gothic armour. I blame Charlie  lol

Oh good!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Absolutely FANYTASTIC! I would love to see these in production! I would love to add them to my Perry units! Bravo!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline superbmiller

• Assistant
Great work, looks amazing. As for recommendations, I always feel we could use more heavily fluted and detailed gothic armor with its sharp angles and edges. For poses, perhaps a classic GW "one foot standing on a rock" pose. Could be useful for leader models. Flat faced owl type sallets are also uncommon in other kits.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Great work, looks amazing. As for recommendations, I always feel we could use more heavily fluted and detailed gothic armor with its sharp angles and edges. For poses, perhaps a classic GW "one foot standing on a rock" pose. Could be useful for leader models. Flat faced owl type sallets are also uncommon in other kits.

oh that would be cool, I am a fan of the bellows faced sallet myself. But had not heard of the owl faces one before. It looks pretty cool. I think steelfist has a figure with that style of helmet, but in a attack pose.
https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product/lan-02-landsknecht-front-ranks-open-handed-armoured/

https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product/ren-3-foot-knights-iii/

https://www.steelfistminiatures.com/product/lan-04-landsknechts-mid-ranks-with-open-hands-armoured/

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Fantastic to see mini's from you again :-*. Your Greeks are still the best!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Fantastic to see mini's from you again :-*. Your Greeks are still the best!
Thank you Tony!! Really appreciate it!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Happy New Year everybody, with abit of a wip.
Gothic Armored body, just needs abit of polishing and its ready for the oven.