Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:08:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Xenos Rampant transport vehicle question  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Dochejed

• Bookworm
Xenos Rampant transport vehicle question
« on: December 29, 2022, 05:06:02 PM »
What happens to the passengers when a transport vehicle gets destroyed?  I couldn't find anything in the rulebook.

Thanks

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Xenos Rampant transport vehicle question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 10:14:23 PM »
I had a look, and couldn't find anything either... To be honest, it really struck me when looking through the book that the vehicle rules are scattered throughout. I mean, I understand that the troops rather than vehicle are the main thrust of the rules, but the extremely short shrift the vehicles get is rather odd considering that's one of the biggest differences that these sci-fi rules would have over the other Rampant rulesets of older history/fantasy periods!  ???

There's a few wrinkles in XR for sure, but the limited vehicle rules and lack of weirder/more powerful/exotic weapons is certainly a missed opportunity I feel. Some the "themed era" army lists feel a bit rushed too (Space Opera in particular), but that's okay for anyone who's happy to write their own since everything you need is largely given to you in the book.

As for what happens to the passengers when a transport vehicle gets destroyed, I would err on the side of the troops getting out undamaged and they are then either suppressed automatically, or get suppressed on a dice roll that equates to their quality (or perhaps make an armour check, with suppression occurring on a failed check?). This is because vehicles are already rare enough in XR, and to take anything with a transport capacity that's heavier than a soft-skin means you give up the chance to have a more tank-like unit instead, so why punish players too harshly for then putting troops in it?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 08:44:41 AM »
I don’t have my rulebook handy, but iirc there was somewhere a paragraph about it and there was a chance that the passengers were also killed.

Edit: I found the book beautifully laid out, but had the impression that the rules were not presented ideally. Also with some other stuff I was at first unsure how it was meant (e.g. firefight possible at extreme ranges).

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 10:27:37 AM »
I don’t have my rulebook handy, but iirc there was somewhere a paragraph about it and there was a chance that the passengers were also killed.

I thought that also but can’t find it. I also recall a para about destroyed buildings and what happens to the units inside, but now can’t find that either.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 10:54:03 AM »
I thought that also but can’t find it. I also recall a para about destroyed buildings and what happens to the units inside, but now can’t find that either.
The bit about damage to buildings and destroyed buildings, and how they affects units in the building is at the end of p48 and start of p49.

I didn't find anything in the book about how destroying transports affects units who were in them. I'd probably just use the same rules as for destroyed buildings.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 11:14:03 AM »
Thanks for confirming that  8)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 02:36:42 PM »
Thanks for confirming that  8)

Yes, thanks for that. One problem I have with the rules (a minor though) is this scattering of information.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
For passengers in destroyed vehicles, follow the rules for units in a destroyed building – becoming Suppressed (pages 48-49 of the XR rulebook). Looks like we managed not to include that in the final rules - apologies.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 09:11:21 AM »
Thanks for that

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 10:18:09 AM »
Not having played the game yet, and not knowing how this would affect gameplay, the first thing that came to me when I read the question was 3rd ed 40K.

Bear with me; I'm not a rules guy, but the way I recall it was that back then, when a vehicle was destroyed and it was transporting troops at the time, one had to roll for all passengers to see if they made it out or not. A simple 4+ roll on a D6 for each model in the unit, if I recall correctly. And any model that would not fit within one inch(?) of an exit after this was also automatically killed.

There were no suppression rules in 3rd ed 40K per se, but I vaguely recall that the unit then had to get back into coherency, and there was a leadership hit as well? Yeah; it's been a while ::)

But should the collapsing building rules (whatever they may be) not be up to snuff, something like the above could easily be house ruled...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Gorlab

• Student
    • Prestwick Wargaming Club
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 02:48:08 PM »
Is there a "living" FaQ (Errata & Clarifications) somewhere that keeps track of these designers responses?

I'm very new to XR and just getting to grips with the rules in general, so a link to that page would be ideal for newbies like myself who never play-tested XR as it went through development. Thanks .:. Walts
"The thing's hollow .. it goes on forever .. and .. oh my God! ... it's full of stars!"

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 02:37:18 AM »
I haven't played XR or read the rules but a die roll for each figure would work. Some would survive, some injured and some killed. If XR plays out similar to real life war then the survivors would try to help pull out the wounded which means that they would be activated to aid comrades before they could re-group and re-fain command. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Dochejed

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 06:53:43 PM »
Thanks Danmer.  One point of clarification: you called out the suppression rules on page 49 but does the damage rule on page 48 apply also - that once the vehicle is below half strength every Strength Point lost to the vehicle is also applied to the passenger unit?

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 06:57:23 PM »
No, just the Suppressed rule.

Offline Dochejed

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 08:52:57 PM »
Great thanks!