Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:43:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 610
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scarper's skirmish groups and NPCs: A sewer dragon and its pups 19/8  (Read 14565 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Great kitbashes!

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
I think your kitbashing looks great. A nicely diverse, yet also still cohesive looking group.

Thanks, Gnome! I'm hoping I can pull it all together with the colour scheme.

I like that chap with the spear  a lot, very atmospheric.

Thank you, Hubbabubba. He's been sitting in my painting pile for literal years cause I was really pleased with the sculpt and worried I'd ruin it with the paintjob. I'm fairly happy with how he turned out in the end  lol

Successfully mixing and kitbashing various manufacturers like you've done it always give a singular personality to a group. Your crew looks very cohesive, well done!  :)

Thanks so much! That's really kind to say.

Great kitbashes!

Thanks, Freddy!

Today's update is a test scheme for the Fisher King crew. This is Hope Rochon, the ship security officer:

She's almost vanilla from the Mercenary II Northstar box, just with a Statuesque gas mask. I'd love any feedback on the scheme - the crew have seen better days, hence the sponging and the oil wash. C&C welcome!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Nice work  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great figure
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist

The helmet/ gasmask head is actually from Westwind: https://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=195_198

:D

That figure looks very nice indeed. I like the colour combo and the weathering. Are you oiling straight over the paint job or pre varnishing? Burnt umber?

I like the name Fisher King too..

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Loving the battered 'white' armour & helmet.
More details about the 'oil wash' technique  please.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Great model, light colours are always nice choice to show some weathering.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Nice work  8)

Great figure

Thanks, guys!

The helmet/ gasmask head is actually from Westwind: https://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=195_198

:D

That figure looks very nice indeed. I like the colour combo and the weathering. Are you oiling straight over the paint job or pre varnishing? Burnt umber?

I like the name Fisher King too..

As you know, I will die on this hill. That's a pretty solid alternative though, nice find! Cheers for the kind words.
I'm using oil directly over the acrylics, and it doesn't seem to bother them too much.
'Burnt umber' is for proper oil paints, my cheapo set just lists it as 'dark brown'  lol

Loving the battered 'white' armour & helmet.
More details about the 'oil wash' technique  please.

Thank you! The weathering is surprisingly easy. I sponged on browns or metal acrylics depending on the material to give some nice random patterns in areas that would be corroded. I then touched these up with the original colour when it was a bit too much. I then made a wash with a little brown and orange oil paint and a lot white spirit, then spread that unevenly in a few areas. Once it's dry, you can use a white spirit-soaked Q-tip to get rid of the pigment in spots that it's over-saturated, but still leave a gradient. It looks good without requiring too much skill, which I love in a technique!

There's a simple tutorial covering it here if you're more of a visual kind of guy.

Great model, light colours are always nice choice to show some weathering.

Thanks again, Freddy! Weathering is definitely my favourite stage of painting a mini. I often feel like I just tolerate the rest to do a face and some weathering.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Thanks Scarper, I'll have to give it a try.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work, especially the distressing of the helmet.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
Awesome mini! Thanks for the info on oil weathering, very inspiring.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Thanks Scarper, I'll have to give it a try.

No worries! I've picked up a ton of tips here, so it's nice to pass something on  lol

Great work, especially the distressing of the helmet.

Thanks again, Gnome! Kind to say.

Awesome mini! Thanks for the info on oil weathering, very inspiring.

Thanks Raedwald! And no worries on the oil info - Just trying it is the biggest step. Based on your painting in your own thread, I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all.

Today's update is Morag Cooke, the Fisher King's shuttle pilot and a bit of a cybersecurity hobbyist. In-game, she's a hacker.

Morag tries to stay on-ship whenever the opportunity allows, but hey, sometimes you need all hands, and an extra pistol is better than nothing. The model you'll probably recognise - she's one of two 'pilots', from the Crooked Dice Colony 87 line

And she's here with her beefier colleague:

Thanks for all the kind words on Hope - they were really inspiring. I'd love any feedback on Morag too, good or bad. I'm enjoying how this crew is coming together, and looking forward to getting a game in some time soon.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
Best version of that mini I’ve seen! Love the realism, and the shaved head effect and weathered helmet and visor are superb.

I almost painted this figure recently, before it got bumped down the queue. I’m so glad it did, as this has persuaded me to go for a far most natural scheme than the clichéd Star Wars jumpsuit I’d had in mind.

Thanks so much for more inspiration.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Lovely work on the pilot. ;D

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
Best version of that mini I’ve seen! Love the realism, and the shaved head effect and weathered helmet and visor are superb.

I almost painted this figure recently, before it got bumped down the queue. I’m so glad it did, as this has persuaded me to go for a far most natural scheme than the clichéd Star Wars jumpsuit I’d had in mind.

Thanks so much for more inspiration.

Honestly, that's really high praise. Thank you so much! The visor / gemstone effect is fairly new to me, so thanks especially for that. I've previously abused inks and gloss varnish for goggles and the like, but I didn't think I'd be able to get away with it for such a large surface.

Nothing wrong with a bit of rebel pilot orange if you do decide to go that way on your version of her, though - the NASA crew escape suits will never go out of fashion!

Lovely work on the pilot. ;D

Thanks again, Malamute! Your kind words are much appreciated.

Today's update is small in size - it's Gyoza, one of the Fisher King guard 'dogs' trained by Pascha the Runt.

In game, he's 10 credits worth of disposable ankle-biting. He's another Crooked Dice model, this time a Colony 87 'Alien Pet', though I sculpted a wee bandana to give him a splash of the crew colours.

He was a relatively quick paintjob, but I had some fun with organic textures on the shell, his tail and his skin.

He's really pretty small, shown here with a WiP alien trooper using mostly GW T'au parts:

I'm really enjoying working on the Fisher King guys. I hope you like him, and as always, I'd really appreciate any C&C.

Thanks for looking!