Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: African Wars - Sangin Ambush  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: African Wars
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2023, 12:08:03 PM »
Great Post. I played a Force on Force game yesterday using Elhiem 20mm modern French vs "MIddle East" insurgents.  My mate laid on  superb table using his 3D printed terrain. The only downner was the Muezzin's battery had gone flat.

where are the pictures? I would love to see this 3D printed terrain. Maybe also a bit about your scenario. We are always on the lookout for new ideas.

Cheers
Erik

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 12:45:50 PM »
This is awesome! My grandpa was in the Rhodesian Bush War, and nearly killed, so seeing these is really cool.

The soil on all the terrain needs to be a bit more orange or red, but other then that it looks good!
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2023, 11:07:43 AM »
Can I ask what kind of wash you used on those figures?

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »
I just use armypainter strong tone. The miniatures are basecoated Light Brown 71.027 airbrush Valejo. Moss Green and leather Brown camo and same green for webbing.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
African Wars - Civilian mobs
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 05:50:43 PM »
To add some flavor to our games I have painted up some bases of civilian. I know they don’t fit super well with our Mali theme but let’s just say they are angry Libyans on vacation. Bases of civilian add a very interesting aspect to Force of Force. You can’t shot through them of course but even shooting close to them might cause civilian casualties. This does not upset the insurgents but it causes negative victory points for western forces who are dead set on winning hearts and minds. However they can also claim victory points by medevacing civilian casualties. As you can see, Civilian bases are almost a small game in the game. Plus charismatic leaders might turn them into low-class militia (if they are angry enough).

Cheers
Erik
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:06:46 AM by Erik »

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Re: African Wars - Civilian mobs
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 07:58:36 PM »
They look cool, I like the idea.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 11:44:51 PM »
You know that Eureka sell some specifically African civilians sets?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 12:43:22 PM »
Yes i know and they are really great, but we are also very committed to our 3D printer at the moment, so STL files Wind over metal most if the time. Eurekas civilians are however on my list for next purchase from them.

Cheers
Erik

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2023, 05:44:36 PM »
Those civvies look great.  I can only imagine what the guy with the raised arm is yelling...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2023, 03:49:33 PM »
Just found this thread and it’s great to see another Mali project! Fantastic work!

If you’re sticking with 3D prints, Miska Miniatures has a set of African militants and vehicles for the Sahel:
https://www.wargaming3d.com/vendor/miska-miniatures/page/2/

And if you want billboards specifically for Mali for your terrain, I have a bunch curated here:
https://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/2021/11/sahel-conflicts-shops-and-signs-for-mali.html

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!
Chris

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2023, 04:58:29 PM »

And if you want billboards specifically for Mali for your terrain, I have a bunch curated here:
https://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/2021/11/sahel-conflicts-shops-and-signs-for-mali.html

Joekano: I am definitely copying those commercials for my buildings. They are great. Sorry I haven’t commented before, but I have been of LAF for I while.

Offline Joelegan

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2023, 11:16:48 AM »
Your figures are very nice; well done.   Force on Force is a great ruleset.  I modified the artillery rules a bit but I am always tinkering. 
Bravo

Joe

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: African Wars - Sangin Ambush
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 08:01:25 AM »
It’s been a vile since my last post here but rest assured we have been playing Force on Force almost every week since.  The last couple of weeks we have been taking turns trying to win scenario 10 Sangin Ambush from the Enduring Freedom book. Instead of British in Afghanistan, we see a platoon of French infantry being ambushed on one of the main roads in Mali when they drive through a buildup area.

As you can see from the photos the insurgent have blocked the road with a car and taken out the lead VAB with RPGs. The French have to rescue the personnel and passengers from this VAB and retreat in good order of the board. The forward recon VBLs are one of the main problems for the French. They are cut off in front of the main column and as they are more lightly armored than the VAB they are easier taken out making it even harder to get everyone home dead or alive.

This scenario is completely impossible to win on victory points for the French, so we have decided that just making it off the board with every man is a victory for the French. Then the insurgent players can decide who beat them up the best by comparing VP. Even playing it this way is still challenging for the French and we have only made it of the board in the designated time span once.

As you say, Joe, Force on Force is a great rule and I totally agree that tinkering is a useful possibility even considering the rule's apparent complexity. We have made some home rules for movement in buildings and vehicle movement as we thought the ruleset was a bit to simplified. 

The column stretched out along the main round going through a small village

Fingers on the trigger ready to ambush French soldiers exiting the vehicles.

Main targets are the two forward recon VBLs

Insurgents quickly surround the French column from all sides

Closeup of the destroyed VAB. The cool thing with 3D printing is that once you have bought the STL files you can print as many as you like and even wreck on if you fancy.'

The rest of the column cut off from the forward VBL.s and the wrecked VAB.

Cheers
Erik

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2023, 01:06:15 AM »
Nice looking board and minis.  Good report, too.  Well done!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2023, 09:51:35 AM »
Great figures and terrain.  Nice work.