Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crimson Skies: Shootout over Manhattan  (Read 23784 times)

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
Re: Crimson Skies: Shootout over Manhattan
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 07:22:01 AM »
Well... as of today, I've got a copy of (FASA's) Crimson Skies headed my way.  :D

Let it begin.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 07:45:42 AM »
Well... as of today, I've got a copy of (FASA's) Crimson Skies headed my way.  :D

Is this still in print somewhere, or did you scare up a used copy?

(I was tempted by CS when it first came out, and being deep into things-pulpish now, am regretting not giving into temptation!)

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 05:16:38 PM »
Lucky find on Ebay. It's been out of print for a while, but I'm sure something will turn up.

On a side note, it looks like if you've any passing familiarity with GIMP or Photoshop, you could fairly easily come up with new maps.

Offline undead_jon

• Bookworm
  • ~Just the way the doctor made me~
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 10:33:01 AM »
Absolutely fantastic  :-* :-* :-*

Crimson Skies is one of my favourite games, I haven't played it in far too long, something your report has made me determined to change as soon as I am able.

For anyone looking for planes and supplements then Ral Partha have a load and Iron Wind Metals have a planes-a-plenty

It's a great game, so go get playing already  :D

J
~What do you see in the dark when the demons come for you?~

My Painting Blog / My Displaced Miniatures Page

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
Anyone know where you can get the core rules?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:08:14 PM by dijit »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 11:19:58 PM »
I think Ral Partha Europe sells them

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »
Just checked Ral Partha Europe, and there are three rulebooks/supplements listed on the website - any idea what the name of the core rules is? I had only ever heard vague things about this game before, but it looks very very cool! I might be tempted to get enough to play a starter game, and see where it goes from there!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Just checked Ral Partha Europe, and there are three rulebooks/supplements listed on the website - any idea what the name of the core rules is? I had only ever heard vague things about this game before, but it looks very very cool! I might be tempted to get enough to play a starter game, and see where it goes from there!

Are you referring to this site: https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_16722.html ?

Unfortunately, the core ruleset is not any of these. "Behind the Crimson Veil" is the best of those on offer, focusing on Sky Pirates of the Eastern Seaboard. Superb read, nicely illustrated, great (if a bit voluminous) scenarios.

The other three are not as good. "Pride of the Republic" is about Texas and stuff. Decent writing, interesting scenarios, relatively poor art (as compared to the splendid core rules and BtCV). "Blake Aviation Security" I only casually browsed, seemed okay. The "Aircraft Manual" features quite a number of aircraft, unfortunately many taking a serious power dive into the realm of stupid.

If you are looking for the original board game, this is it: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3855

I had a copy, but must have lost it over a move (or lent it out to someone and never got it back  >:(). I´m still looking over rummage bins at shows hoping to find a still-wrapped copy. Could kick myself for not being more careful with my copy.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 05:40:15 AM »
Read more here: http://www.foxforcefive.nutz.de/cs/
Perhaps you can ask for the rules there too.
Does anybody know: Would it be against the law to copy a ruleset that is no longer edited?

http://k.webring.com/hub?ring=crimsonskies

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 08:02:04 AM »
Does anybody know: Would it be against the law to copy a ruleset that is no longer edited?

Yes. The works are protected for something like 75 years. Indefinately if someone maintains the license.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
Dewbakuk, the IP is once more in the hands of Jordan Weisman, one of the people behind the old FASA: http://www.smithandtinker.com/news/smith-and-tinker-acquires-fasa-ips.php. So I guess it's still protected.
(It's been over 2 years now though. I'm worrying about when/if they'll ever get around to doing anything with it.... But, maybe they need to wait for Wizkid's boardgame licence to run out?)

If you can't find the rules you could check this blog for an alternative.
It's a Canvas Eagles/Crimson Skies hybrid. I don't know how it handles, I haven't played it yet myself (Being one of the lucky b*stards with an original Crimson Skies set... :D)
I'd advise to stay away from the clicky rules, except as a source for cheap prepainted planes.
It's rare to find the Fasa rules online, in fact, at the moment I can only find one.

Good luck to all hunting down a copy! The game's worth it.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 01:57:15 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for more info on the rules - perhaps it's a good thing, as I'm still in the middle of my Old West project, and just at the start of my modern day gaming project. Those planes just look so nice, though, and the rules sound like a lot of fun!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
Thanks for that, I'm going to give crimson eagles a try.

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
Excellent paintjobs, especially the yellow! Would you mind spilling the beans on the technique you've used?

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
[quote author=Phil_McCrackin link=topic=14058.msg164724#msg164724 date=1256768482

I confess . . . . I keep wanting to play it with 28mm scale planes, over a 28mm scale "A very British (Or American) Civil War" game happening on the ground . . . . .
[/quote]

They did make a couple of larger scale aircraft, i think one of them was the Curtis Wright FURY .
They were in MUSEUM SCALE,but i dont know what scale that is ,but they must have been bigger