Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:04:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cyberpunk- rules and "futuristic" kimono designs?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Cyberpunk- rules and "futuristic" kimono designs?
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
I can't fight the urge anymore - I must take up cyberpunk! (I blame Moonfleet Miniatures, I was teetering on the brink and their new products pushed me over)

So what would be a good ruleset? Future Wars, Combat Zone, 5150, Rezolution, something else? I'm not sure yet whether I'd prefer straight "gang vs gang" play with points values or more like free-flowing adventure in the Rattrap style. But the former should have the option to design my own factions, for me to start considering it. It would be nice with extensive rules for hacking, robots (so I can have many different designs of them) and all manner of bionics and genetic modifications. Perhaps also rules for designing alien races, if I want to include those sometime in the future, but this is not a priority.

Also, I have Hasslefree's geisha miniatures that I haven't known what to do with so far (I'm deathly afraid of trying to paint samurai), but the thought struck me they'd fit cyberpunk nicely. I'm reminded of the geishas in the first(?) episode of GitS SAC. Now I need suggestions for futuristic kimono designs. Any ideas?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »
I Like Rezolution rules a lot... They are fast and easy to learn, and the starter rules avaliable for download allow you to start gaming in minutes.

For futuristic kimono designs have a look a the Triad miniatures and illustrations in the Urban Mammoth website (or the Rezolution miniatures, for the same reasons)
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
You've got a couple of options you could try:

1. High tech colors--dark background with neon blue pictures of trees and falling leaves.

2. Traditional colors--pink/red/black on white of circuit patterns.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:21:20 PM »
I am currently working on a version of Crossfire for use in a Cyberpunk setting; I'm calling it Cyberfire because I'm original like that :)

It will be faster than Rezolution (there's no measuring for moving or firing in Crossfire) and will allow you to have any factions you want.

Personally I am having ninjas, Cyber-Jews, Masters of the Universe, Shaolin Monks Everything from Rezolution, zombies, Everything from my Alien Invasion rules and a bunch of other stuff too.

I'm hoping it will be fun. (oh, it copes with vehicles too). It'll be ready in a month or two.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »
I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Rezolution rules, but don't they only have preset factions? While I love many of the miniatures I'm not sure I want to game the factions as they are. But otherwise, what are the upsides of the Rezolution ruleset that make it so well-liked?

Quote from: "PeteMurray"

You've got a couple of options you could try:

1. High tech colors--dark background with neon blue pictures of trees and falling leaves.

2. Traditional colors--pink/red/black on white of circuit patterns.

I like those ideas. I had been contemplating a blend from one colour to another, but not painted in the traditional sense - rather, by "dots". The way they get different tones of grey in newspapers. But it's not really something I could pull off, I think.

Quote from: "matakishi"

I am currently working on a version of Crossfire for use in a Cyberpunk setting

Sounds intriguing. Will figures be based individually or as elements? I'm looking for a skirmish ruleset myself, something that will easily allow movement on a 3D battlefield (with ramps, raised platforms, etc).

One of my initial factions will be East Riding assassins led by a geisha (as I already have all the miniatures). For the second faction, I'm thinking East Riding slicks. I'll also paint up some other stuff I have at hand as "free movers" - like some Urban War Syntha robots and cyborgs.

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Personally I am having ninjas, Cyber-Jews, Masters of the Universe, Shaolin Monks Everything from Rezolution, zombies, Everything from my Alien Invasion rules and a bunch of other stuff too.

That's not Cyberpunk!! That's Pulp Madness!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:35:47 PM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"

That's not Cyberpunk!! That's Pulp Madness!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Yeah, I thought "Oh wow, that would make total sense in AD2000."

Then I thought: "Man, what is it about the UK that you could get AD2000 derived twice, independently--once by the original writers and once by Matakishi?"

Then I thought: "I need more coffee."

I've really only resolved that last issue.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
I'm planning to have figures based individually but hordes, zombies, basic troopers (uncybered) etc. can be based in groups if you prefer.

Personally I prefer groups but there's no reason why everything can't be based individually.

Here is a secret extract which will not be 100% clear if you don't have the Crossfire rules but will give you an idea:

Ninjas

Ninjas are stealthed so always count as being in cover.
Ninja are fanatical so pins count as no result and are ignored, suppressed results kill them.
Ninja may move in any direction including vertically.
If ninja want to jump across a gap bigger than a base depth (60mm) they must make a skill check.
A skill check may be passed automatically by all figures attempting it (group move etc.) but the initiative is surrendered at the completion of the action.
A failed skill check surrenders the initiative.
Skill checks are rolled on 1 die per unit/individual, usually 3+ will pass
Ninja have +3 in Close Combat
Ninja have no ranged attacks
Ninja take no damage from falling

Ninja Masters

As above plus
+4 in Close Combat
Toughened, only 6 hits
Skill check pass 2+

The basic idea for Crossfire is that when it's your go you do what you want until your opponent stops you or you fail an attempted action.

There's a fuller explanation here:
http://www.matakishi.com/crossfire.htm