Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:00:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A fishy tale in Warlord China, Xiao Yś, 192x - 193x  (Read 9732 times)

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
A fishy tale in Warlord China, Xiao Yś, 192x - 193x
« on: May 02, 2023, 10:59:21 PM »
Hello and welcome. I'd like to introduce you all to my obsession I mean big back of beyond project, my imagi-nation: the province of Xiao Yś.

I'd like to start off by saying that this project of mine was influenced and inspired by many of the members here, and several of their blogs. Hooligans no doubt, like Major Thomas Foolery, Ignatieff, Flatpack, Lord Raglan and others. Remember, this post is your fault  ;D

I've been working on all this in earnest since last August, terrain, lore, armies, everything organized for Fistful of Lead, and Beyond the Empire. Some day.. some day I'll have enough army men for Setting the East Ablaze. From here on out I'll be posting everything related to my project in this thread, episodic and unending like those who came before me.

Anyways, an introduction. The province of Xiao Yś, a microcosm of the struggles of Greater China, is a small forgotten land, tucked away somewhere north of Beijing, near the Mongolian Border, neighbor enough to Manchuria, somewhere in the lands of Rehe and inner Mongolia. The province takes it's name from the Xiao Yś River, an equally forgotten tributary that snakes off the northern hump of the Yellow River, past Shanxi and into the lands beyond.

It's quite alright if you've never seen Xiao Yś on any map, the residents prefer it that way. Some say that it was the Germans who originally erased it from the maps around the time of the Boxer Rebellion, not in the typical Germanic fashion mind you - nothing was burned down - but rather, that their intention was to secure a secret stronghold should anything threaten their Oriental Colonies. A hefty pay out to the Qing in the twilight of the dynasty, a few borders moved on official maps here and there, a few records "lost" and some cartographers heads chopped, and an entire province was forgotten. The land is ignored by the larger warlords, who are either unaware of it's existence or think them to be empty frontier, and those who get too nosey end up catching a few silver bullets to buzz off.

Despite all that, Xiao Yś is a very busy land, full of a wide cast of characters all vying for a slice of power and glory. The province is functionally controlled by Martial Chang, a mysterious man rumored to have once been a bandit, whose unfathomable riches are thought to be lost German gold smuggled out of Tsingtau on the eve of the Great War. He controls the province with the "might" of his "Provincial Self Defense Army" and a myriad of mercenaries, including westerns adventurers and a White Russian column under the command of Colonel Anton, the Iron Cossack. Changs primary foil is the Nationalist aligned upstart, General Tao, who is neither a Nationalist, or a General, and his Revolutionary Army of the Frontier. Tao and the RAF hope to wrestle the province from it's Warlord Leader, and bring attention to its existence to Chiang Kai Shek and his Northren Expedition, in hopes of being awarded stewardship. 

But that's not all, Comrade Feng and his Students and Peasants Red Union Militia have asperations of building a communist utopia in Xiao Yś, while Baron Takei and his Stormtrooper Brigade hope to snatch the province as a new colonial possession for Japan. Yakov the Animal of Amur and his Red Russian expeditionary force scour the country side, trying to track down any Tsarists seeking refuge in the region. A sizeable bandit force, The Yellow Locust Gang, lead by Four Eyes Chin plagues the woods, frequently scrapping with an army of anarchists and craven deserters, ironically called the New Xiao Yś Clique under command of "Field Martial" Ming the Renegade. Despite it's forgotten nature, no corner of China is free from Foreign influence, a small American owned Import Export company, CHOAM (The Committee of Honorable Oriental and American Merchants) and British owned Import Export company, FEAST (the Far East Asian Spice and Trade) both call Xiao Yś home, and thus are protected by Foreign soldiers and sailors. The USS Miskatonic, a relic leftover from the Germans and trophy of the Great War, sails the Xiao Yś river, while a British operated Municipal Police Force, mirroring that of Shanghai in organization but not in size, protects most expats in the province. Furthermore a German Expedition lead by the secretive Major Staubb searches the countryside, assumedly for lost German treasure, even a small band of hold out Qing Restorationists lurks with in it's borders.

All that, and more to come. But for today and for my projects introduction, I'd like to take you into the Capital of Hong Yś. Keep in mind, technically speaking this is still WIP, I need to paint a lot more scatter terrain, some more cars, and a few details on the smaller buildings.

These buildings and other sundries make up the bulk of my terrain, but aren't everything. It's constantly growing, like a growth that should really get looked at. Most of these buildings are scratch built, a few others from Oshiro Model Terrain, and a few are even old plasticville O scale model railroad buildings such as the foreign styled Capital Building. The signage is mostly from the delightful Major Tom, though others were sourced from other depths of the internet, the whole thing, again, being completely inspired by his blog. 

This is  my first really large scale hobby project, my first wargaming table and terrain collection. I've been painting minis religiously for 9 years this year, but this, Xiao Yś, is the first truly large scale undertaking I've undertook. I hope you enjoy it.

Last is a teaser, a WIP of my river, river gun boats and other watercraft, plus some other terrain that didn't make it into Hong Yu. I hope to have the river and ships done by the end of the month...

More at my blog: https://warlordfish.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 11:06:11 PM by WarlordFish »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: A fishy tale in Warlord China, Xiao Yś, 192x - 193x
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 11:12:35 PM »
Love the town. It looks great! I particularly like the laundry on the line and the string of Chinese lanterns. Great background too.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 11:34:14 PM »
Very impressive.
Keep it going.
Flatpack

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 02:35:27 AM »
Excellent work.  I especially like the posters on the buildings and those lanterns are a great touch.  Great job with the background too.  BTW which Plasticville building did you use for the KMT headquarters? 

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 02:58:35 AM »
Thanks all around!

Excellent work.  I especially like the posters on the buildings and those lanterns are a great touch.  Great job with the background too.  BTW which Plasticville building did you use for the KMT headquarters?

It's the plasticville bank. Dirt cheap on ebay. I also have 3 plasticville "house under construction" two of which I put roofs on that lift off for accessing the interior, and one I'm leaving as is.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 06:09:34 AM »
Phenomenal! I love what you have done with this project. Great setting narrative and excellent table.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 07:04:40 AM »
Looks great  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 08:57:00 AM »
That's splendid terrain, lots of nice touches.  Things like the pylons, lanterns and posters really add character.  I like the back story too, you have lots of factions to play with there.  Really looking forward to seeing some game pics.  Great work!  :D

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 10:59:49 AM »
OUTSTANDING! What a labour of love this is - look forward to reports of games.
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 02:14:52 PM »
Wonderful work sir. A table to enjoy playing on. :-*

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 03:56:24 PM »
Superb!

...I still haven't been able to complete my own Manchurian project started many years ago. :'(

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 05:47:34 PM »
Welcome to the madness! Your table looks fantastic and I'm super happy to see other people are finding the signs and posters of use. Looking forward to seeing future updates!

Chris

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 09:12:35 PM »
Great looking table!

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 07:04:01 AM »
Excellent table, excellent background too.

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »
Superb looking town and great back-story. Looking forward to more...   :-*