Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690853
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarf Update and Beastmen Beastlord)  (Read 4419 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
I’m pretty excited for GW’s return to the Old World, square bases with ranks and flanks was my gateway into miniature gaming.  I have a couple armies in mind so I plan to leave this first post for army posts as I go. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 02:11:46 PM by killshot »

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Return to the Old World
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 02:10:02 AM »
First army is Chaos Dwarfs, an army I liked but never really got into and when I wanted to start collecting they were discontinued and going for obscene prices.  Thankfully 3D printing has given me a second chance.  These warriors are designed by Fabelzel and I bought them from ebay. Really fantastic figures:

I just received another order with some blunderbusses, heroes and a couple more warriors to round this unit out to fifteen.  Also is the queue are hobgoblin wolf riders and black orcs.

Offline stroblight

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 02:29:20 AM »
Those look great! I'm excited to see which GW kits are going to be reproduced for the Old World. Prices are definitely getting crazy in the second hand market.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 10:55:09 AM »
That is some excellent work on those Chaos Dwarfs! It's my favourite faction in WHFB as well, and I've been collecting a sizeable force over the years. I had no idea there are 3D sculpts available these days; they look great.

...Prices are definitely getting crazy in the second hand market.

Chaos Dwarf prices were artificially increased by a couple of Ebay sellers by consistently buying up each and every auction for a couple of years for pretty low prices, as at the time, Chaos Dwarf were not a popular army and metal minis were sold for cheap. We're talking around 2010 or so here, perhaps even as early as 2005. Details are hazy; I'm getting old and I can't recall ::)

They kept this up for a couple of years(!), completely draining the entire second hand market and letting it simmer for a long time. And then they put all of their accumulated stock back on the market at ridiculously increased prices. And I mean literally 10x the prices of a few years prior.

And because they controlled the market, they were able to basically dictate Chaos Dwarf prices. Every occasional other seller obviously followed the market, and sold their miniatures at the same inflated rates and there the price level has remained.

These people, I believe two or three sellers were identified, must have made a killing. There was a lot of grumbling in the Chaos Dwarf player/collector community at the time, but technically they did nothing illegal, even though morally there is something to be said about it. I have to reluctantly respect them for playing the long game so well though...

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarfs)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »
Very cool  8)

I think I prefer these to the original ones.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 04:52:41 PM »
Love them Big hatted chaos dwarfs, they're the only army book I haven't got for my fifth edition collection as I won't pay the silly prices it goes for. What's the quality of the prints like?
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 03:56:30 AM »
Those look great! I'm excited to see which GW kits are going to be reproduced for the Old World. Prices are definitely getting crazy in the second hand market.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it as well!  Hopefully some new High Elves and Dwarfs for my “good” armies.

That is some excellent work on those Chaos Dwarfs! It's my favourite faction in WHFB as well, and I've been collecting a sizeable force over the years. I had no idea there are 3D sculpts available these days; they look great.

There are a few different types available on Etsy and eBay.  I like these Old School ones myself and there are a couple lines that based on the Forge World line that are really nice, just not what I’m looking for. There’s a few other Old School options from a different manufacturer that I may try out but the majority of the army will be these Fabelzel figures.

This line is missing some of the war machines (an Earthshaker but no crew) and no Great Taurus yet. Hopefully soon.
Very cool  8)

I think I prefer these to the original ones.

Thank you!  I’m really enjoying these.

Love them Big hatted chaos dwarfs, they're the only army book I haven't got for my fifth edition collection as I won't pay the silly prices it goes for. What's the quality of the prints like?

I just happened upon these while looking at eBay for some. I originally planned to make a small force for Oathmark of all things and, then, the stars aligned and we’re returning to the Old World.  The models are super nice, very crisp and detailed making them an absolute dream to paint.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 02:03:47 PM »
These look great. I've been thinking of printing off a batch of them for myself (got to justify it... already own like 20 of the original mono pose plastics). What else are you planning to add to the army? I know the same guy does one of the character mounts and some of the hob goblins.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 02:53:26 PM »
These look great. I've been thinking of printing off a batch of them for myself (got to justify it... already own like 20 of the original mono pose plastics). What else are you planning to add to the army? I know the same guy does one of the character mounts and some of the hob goblins.

I have 12 blunderbuss warriors, the character pack with 2 extra warriors that’ll round out my warrior unit to 15 right now and some 4/5th edition black orcs currently on the painting table for this army.  I have 4 of the GW hobgoblin wolf riders but I’m going to add the Fabelzel ones to get to 10 armed with hand weapons.  I need to add a sorcerer to round out characters but that may end phase 1 for now. 

Phase 2 will be bull centaurs, warmachines, a hobgoblin or goblin infantry block, hobgoblin wolf riders with bows, and a monstrous mount (I’d prefer a great Taurus if I can find one).

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 04:58:24 PM »
I have 12 blunderbuss warriors, the character pack with 2 extra warriors that’ll round out my warrior unit to 15 right now and some 4/5th edition black orcs currently on the painting table for this army.  I have 4 of the GW hobgoblin wolf riders but I’m going to add the Fabelzel ones to get to 10 armed with hand weapons.  I need to add a sorcerer to round out characters but that may end phase 1 for now. 

Phase 2 will be bull centaurs, warmachines, a hobgoblin or goblin infantry block, hobgoblin wolf riders with bows, and a monstrous mount (I’d prefer a great Taurus if I can find one).
I didn't see he had the Wolf riders done too.  I only saw what he had on Thingiverse. Do you know how to get those STLs?

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 06:34:58 PM »
I didn't see he had the Wolf riders done too.  I only saw what he had on Thingiverse. Do you know how to get those STLs?

I’m not sure how to get the STLs, I’ve just been purchasing physical models from eBay.  I think the creator is on the Chaos Dwarf Facebook group, he might be reached through that.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 07:44:27 PM »
I’m not sure how to get the STLs, I’ve just been purchasing physical models from eBay.  I think the creator is on the Chaos Dwarf Facebook group, he might be reached through that.
Unfortunately I don't use social media stuff. I checked if there's a my mini factory page for him and there isn't. Bugger.

The cost of prints always shocks me. I'm printing 35 of these guys right now and it's costing me about 3 quid if that. I hope they turn out half as nice as yours do.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 07:53:11 PM »
Army update!

Chaos Dwarfs with blunderbusses:

Black Orcs with some extras

Chaos Dwarf heroes and characters:

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
Re: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarfs update 26 June)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 08:32:45 PM »
They're looking good.

always a shame that there aren't more morningstars in WHFB, they look so apt; especially for (chaos)dwarfs

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarfs update 26 June)
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2023, 12:24:48 AM »
Kraznak the Blood Axe’s wolf riders and a sorcerer (unnamed at this point).  The wolf riders are a combination of GW and Fabelzel miniatures.