Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 11:17:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star wars Legion (ish) Shatterpoint (ish) scale thread  (Read 21920 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Star wars Legion (ish) Shatterpoint (ish) scale thread
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2023, 07:02:04 PM »
Those pods look the business  :)

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2023, 08:18:55 PM »
I just need to make 2 more Akula before I run out of motivation ha ha

Offline BeardGoblin

• Assistant
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2023, 12:44:49 AM »
Oooh, the ship is looking very tidy indeed with paint on (not that it didn't before - you know what I mean!  8) ).

The cargo pods are shaping up nicely, really like the idea of having a couple of 'clusters' to bulk everything out, then adding some individual pieces to finish the look (and also save a ton of work!).

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2023, 05:33:38 AM »
Yeah thanks Beardgoblin that's what I was trying for; like background cargo pods that you can't see with some fancy ones to hide them :)

I'm pretty happy with it all so far though I think I might weather the ship down a bit more? o_o

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2023, 07:47:17 AM »
They work well  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2023, 09:41:52 AM »
Thanks again Oshiro it's great having you and the other high-level painters and modellers feedback :)

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2023, 05:31:25 AM »
Hi all no cargo lighter update today sorry....ok well other than one of my damned chickens jumped on it (it survived) and then I accidentally dropped a sheet of mdf on the back end (it broke).  Some superglue has basically repaired it but a few bits went flying no idea where they went ha ha.

Anyway a slight shift in focus for me as I prep my next project.  I have wanted to create a force of local militia/ armed citizenry types to augment rebel forces.  I like the endor commando/ rogue pathfinder troops but they are ..well... trained soldiers.  I'm interested in making some figures to represent regular people who have armed themselves against an occupying imperial force.

I've had alook around and there are 3d print options like twileks, mimbanese and others but they are very particular to one setting and I want figures that could work anywhere.

So my solution was to find figures that don't look alike but if I arm them with the same types of weapons and gear they will look like a unit of some kind. Or like irregulars or something.

Fortunately there is a source of 1/43rd scale figures to be found in the newer heroclix lines.  These figures are 40mm or more tall, have a nice heft and are easy to convert.  I have used a few for civilians but I had some left over in my figures scrap pile (pictured below).  I recently bought some GW soldier heads and pouches and I've ordered some 3d printed clone rifles and droid blasters.
Those GW heads are near perfect for 1/43rd scale. I also had a both head casting lying around so threw that in

My thinking is that most worlds affected by the clone wars would have piles of old clone rifles and droid blasters and perhaps a few enterprising folk have stashed and maintained these weapons incase of another invasion. SW preppers?

I have enough figures to make 7 or so of these armed citizens and here's my conversions so far.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 05:34:06 AM by jhonpog »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2023, 06:32:07 AM »
I like your thinking on this.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2023, 07:53:43 AM »
They are looking very impressive.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:18:02 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2023, 09:27:44 AM »
Thanks has.been and mad lord! It took me a while to settle on civilian figures with matching weapons as an irregular force or resistance group. Maybe like the a french resistance group in WW2?

There are loads of heroclix figures that will work for this unit so I may order some more when I've finished these ones. I see them as low skill level but very high morale fighters which I think would be interesting to play with :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2023, 02:06:42 PM »
Inspired idea!
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2023, 06:19:25 PM »
Cool idea, a head and a weapon swap can easily improve a low quality sculpt/cast. I made a lot of bandits for my 1/35 postapo project this way.

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2023, 06:57:13 PM »
Thanks Malamute and Freddy!  Yeah I reckon once the clone rifles arrive it will make them a bit more star warsy with instantly recognisable weaponry.

Paint-wise I'm planning to use a bit more colour than usual. I'll probably use reds blues yellows and stay away from browns, greens and grays we'lll see :)

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2023, 10:53:07 PM »
Hey all small update from me while I wait for my 3d printed rifles to arrive.

I've finished up the 'background' cargo pods on the lighter. Still haven't made the last 2 I need gah!

Here's what it looks like with cargo pods in place.  Not too bad? Very star warsy I guess.  Imperial trooper figure for scale.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 11:01:20 PM by jhonpog »

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2023, 10:57:10 PM »
And why have 6 or 7 projects on the go at once when you could have 8 or 9?

I have a out-of-scale At rt toy from the Star Wars mission fleet line that I have no use for but after a bit of mucking around i think I can turn it into a droid load-lifter for a cargo dock or whatever.  possibly it could unload cargo from my ship, something like that.

All I've done so far is pull the front off plus a few guns etc then turned the body upside down. To me the  back of the at rt looks quite a lot like a droid head,  The plan will be to add some arms or forklift forks or something