Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:54:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSMALL2023 Lost Egg's Food Bunker  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: BSMALL2023 Lost Egg's Food Bunker
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2023, 09:27:32 AM »
Thanks Codsticker! :)

A wee bit more progress today with the roof done...

Haven't made a tiled roof for years, not since that classic White Dwarf Cottage building article, it was fun and very satisfying. I also fitted the door just in time as I was gunna do it after the tiles but then realised I wouldn't be able to fit it after...good job I realised.

Just a little bit of detailing to go and then its ready for undercoating.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2023, 11:38:03 AM »
Nice combo of parts and techniques :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2023, 01:19:54 PM »
Very cool. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2023, 03:58:11 PM »
Thanks chaps.

Another quick update before I undercoat...

Just a sack of spilled food stuff and a birds nest in GS. Nearly there now...

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2023, 06:22:24 PM »
That looks fantastic, it had been confusing me a bit till this point  ::) ::) lol

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2023, 07:28:59 PM »
 lol No worries...I just hope it doesn't look too odd once it's painted up  ???

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2023, 10:48:57 PM »
Nice work, and even better that you will have terrain that you would not be able to find anywhere else.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2023, 07:47:38 AM »
Thanks marianas, ever since I switched my gaming focus to smaller 2x2ft boards I find it much easier to focus in on my own little worlds and make more unique terrain and minis...plus with smaller boards theres much less to store.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »
That will have a nice look once painted. Maybe like something from the Storm Universe if I had to place it somewhere. I like the nest from gs, that is a nice touch and adds dividends to storytelling. (Been about long enough for birds to roost there etc etc.)
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2023, 07:15:12 PM »
Thanks FreakyFenton, not heard of the Storm Universe, what's that?

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2023, 09:35:51 PM »
Hey Lost Egg,

it is a comic by Don Lawrence and a few other artists and authors. Don Lawrence did the first books, and there are quite a few I believe. The story revovles around an astronaut who goes missing on a mission and basically explores or has adventures. I honestly think the wikipedia article might be best if you want to know what it is about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(Don_Lawrence)

But the art depicts a mix of medieval and future tech (due to time travel and the like happening). And your build reminded me of that comic and composition in a good way! Something sci-fi with a somewhat rural medieval look.

I also added an image, not sure of which issue but it might give an idea. Don Lawrence also drew Trigan I believe, and might be more remembered (in Britain) for that story! I suppose your build also reminded me of Trigan!

Either way, great build! Looking forward to seeing it painted!  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 09:37:38 PM by FreakyFenton »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2023, 08:17:24 AM »
Cheers mate, I'll check it out.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2023, 09:05:49 PM »
Well, I've done it. My entry is all painted up and I've sent off my pic.

While I obviously can't post a pic of the painted food bunker, I can post a wee bit of fluff for the world it comes from...

Lewis
Not all who sail the Space Lanes do so unscathed and more than one ship of colonists has become stranded and forced to live a simpler life. These unlucky survivors seek meaning in their fate and it’s not uncommon for them to justify their situation as a call from the gods or the universe, to return to a simpler life. Lewis is one such colony within the beneficent realm of The Seven and I shall endeavour to summarise my findings on this quaint backwater.               Free Trader Samuel Pratchett the 4th

A Stranded Colony
Lewis is a world with a small cluster of settlements within the planets temperate zone, it was established many generations ago by colonists whose ship was damaged and lost amongst the Space Lanes. Stranded and with limited supplies they created a home for themselves, reverting to a simpler life. Though they were unable to maintain much of their technology they thrived and expanded to form a loosely cohesive collection of extended familial settlements organised into territories, each under the sway of their own regional Master.

As time went on the successful colonists began to consider themselves blessed and so shunned what little advanced technology that remained. Though they were happy to leave their distant origins behind, the Space Lanes had not finished with them, for raiders came seeking food and slaves. Fortunately, such occurrences were uncommon and then the Corsairs came.

Raiders from beyond the stars, the Corsairs sought to establish themselves as the rulers of this backward world, seeing it as a soft target and ideal for establishing a base of operations. The rulers of each region were summoned and instructed on the new order and yet, not all would bend the knee. Master Philomena Lewis stood defiant and stalwart; cutting down the foolish Corsairs who sought to make an example of her. Though she was injured in the ensuing skirmish, along with many of her guards, she escaped and bade her people fight on. As she succumbed to her wounds the call rang out and many of the other regional Masters raised their banners.

Though their spirit was strong there was little in truth the colonists could do but fight a bitter guerrilla war. Yet it was not long before the capricious nature of the Space Lanes was revealed when more outsiders came. The new arrivals fell upon the Corsairs, for they had been hunting them; in fact, they had toppled their previous base and were eager to stop them establishing another.

With the Corsairs on the back foot the Protectors, as the new arrivals called themselves, and the local Masters united to crush them. The advanced warriors of The Seven looked upon this small colony of fertile farms and judged them worthy, and so they extended the hand of friendship. Seeing value in an alliance, the Masters promised food in exchange for protection.

Tribute to The Seven
The Seven established a small base of colonial guard on the planet, to be upkept by the locals who in return fulfil quotas of various foods and grains. Since that time, each Master is responsible for ensuring the food taxes are levied and brought to their regional centres before being transported to the capital; every few months a ship comes and fills its hold with tribute.

Regions are composed of a number of settlements run mostly by informal democracy where each reports to the regional capital. Regional capitals are led by a Master and a small garrison of troops whose role it is to keep the peace, ensure quotas are met and protect their settlements from native wildlife and outlanders, those who live outside of the main settlements, lowlifes, prospectors, explorers, hunters, trappers etc.

Technology
Though the technology of Lewis is akin to medieval there is some advanced tech, mostly in the hands of the small garrison of colonial guard and its workers. To ensure the food tributes are fresh and survive their long journey to the larders of The Seven, a network of food bunkers was established across the settlements; each region has their own where food is prepared and securely stored before being moved onto the capital town of Rocketfall, the location of the planets first settlement.

Each bunker is in fact a ship, designed to be buried and dressed in native building techniques so as to disguise it from the prying eyes of raiders and jealous outlanders. But, since the colonial guard established a base of operations on the planet such attacks are few and far between.

Aside from the advanced technology required to fulfil their obligations, the only other concession is medical supplies. Even the somewhat backwards people of Lewis see the need for access to some of the medical advancements The Seven can offer. In fact, since their exposure to others beyond their planet the populace would have otherwise been decimated by any number of viral agents. Of course, they cannot see the hypocrisy of this situation and their self-imposed technological isolation.

Newcomers
Since coming under the sway of The Seven the colony of Lewis has received a small influx of likeminded Exo-human settlers looking for a simpler life. While some have been accepted by the larger community, others strike out on their own or form new communities away from the main settlements.

Unfortunately, allowing outsiders to settle has caused some friction, compounded by some who have taken the opportunity to disappear. These criminals and troublemakers are known as outlanders and are generally mistrusted by the population at large though in reality many just want a quiet life farming, exploring or prospecting.

Lewis is a colonial backwater, a fairly insignificant collection of pre-industrial settlements bound by a history of stranded isolation and an attempt to find meaning in their situation. Enforced isolation became a facet of their identity and so they cling to their ‘simpler life’; such colonies are not uncommon yet provide a sizeable quantity of food stuffs to support The Seven and so we must offer protection…a small price to pay.

While they extoll the virtues of their way of life, it does not prevent them from accepting technological advancement to better aid in their payment for our protection. Indeed, it does not prevent them from accepting some measure of medical advancements too; the human capacity for hypocrisy knows no bounds!              Free Trader Samuel Pratchett the 4th

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2023, 06:13:48 PM »
Cracking bit of Fluff 8)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2023, 06:54:00 PM »
Thanks aircav!