Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSMALL2023 Lost Egg's Food Bunker  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
BSMALL2023 Lost Egg's Food Bunker
« on: September 14, 2023, 09:51:34 PM »
I've been playing about with my own ruleset for fantasy & sci-fi games, including a mix of the two. I've been jotting ideas for a mixed setting so this competition seems like a good excuse to make some terrain. The world I'm creating is low-tech, medieval that gets raided by sci-fi forces; the fantasy farmers are growing food stuffs as tribute to their advanced overlords so they need some secure storage...lest raiders grab it all...

I've got a few basic images in my noggin at the mo but nothing concrete. I'm gunna look at bunkers, tiny gaols and banks...the aim is to try and mix medieval-fantasy and sci-fi elements.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSMALL2023 Lost Egg's Food Bunker
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 11:06:07 AM »
The world I'm creating is low-tech, medieval
but nothing concrete.
lol lol lol
(Yes I know the Romans had concrete, but the above tickled me)

May I suggest that, whatever you build, you put it off the ground.
In the same kind of way Ancient & Medieval grain stores are raised up,
to keep them away from vermin like rats.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 01:53:41 PM »
 lol Thanks has.been.

I've been jotting down ideas for my little world and have a bit more of a firmer idea...ish. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have a sketch or two.

I'm now thinking my build will be more of a bunker entrance with the main body of the structure underground; this would help to make it more secure but also keep me within the size limits of the competition.

Though the people of the colony (no name for it yet) live a medieval life they are protected by a more advanced civilisation in return for food. As a result the food bunkers themselves are advanced tech and so able safely store food from vermin and spoiling. But, the entrance to each food bank has been dressed up by the locals making it less obvious to the eyes of raiders where the good stuff is.

In some ways I envisage them as banks...each area has a small bunker where food is stored and automatically processed & packed until its ready to be transferred to the main store in the capital, before being taken off-planet.

Part of my inspiration for this idea is an episode of Firefly where you think they whole time they are stealing and trying to sell bars of gold but its actually food.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 02:26:14 PM »
Sounds like Rocket Robin Hood, great cartoon from the old days. Might be an inspiration

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 06:47:41 PM »
Thanks Chairface, I'll check it out.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 10:00:14 PM »
To kinda get my mind into gear I've been jotting down a wee bit of fluff for the colony where the food bunkers are used, well one of the colonies anyway. I've also been doing some sketches just to get the idea down, here's what I've come up with so far...

If my sketches make any sense then you can kinda see where the ship is buried below ground. Something I've had in mind with this project from the start is the old White Dwarf cottage building article so I'll likely use that as inspiration when it comes to finishes.

It's probably worth noting that the ship isn't exactly to scale...or maybe it is...I'm not sure  o_o

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »
Interesting idea - sort of a space-bound horreo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B3rreo

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 07:08:53 PM »
Managed to get some work done last night...

The card 'bunny ears' are just a place holder for now as I'll likely cut them from acrylic. They are quite prominent at the moment but hopefully once its detailed up and more importantly, got the roof on they should look a bit less obvious...maybe...

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 08:38:58 AM »
That looks like a good start and I am looking forward to seeing the full piece. Nice bit of Sci-Fi scenery that should come in useful!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Online aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 09:14:50 AM »
Great Start, looking forward to seeing more progress  :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »
Thanks guys. Managed to get a wee bit more done...

It's not fixed down to the base yet, nor is the barrel fixed. I've got a little more work to do on the timber and some detailing on the bunny ears then they can be fitted and the roof built. I'd also like to sculpt  bag of food to sit the otherside of the door.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 11:01:39 PM »
The framing looks great. I still don't understand the function of the bunny ears. Looking forward to seeing their function.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023, 10:41:02 AM »
Thanks marianas.

The bunny ears are actually the very front of the ship...if you check out my sketch a little further up the page you'll see the food bunker itself is a partially buried ship. The building is then constructed around the front of the ship to kind of blend it in with the local architecture.

I've finished the framing this morning so next I need to clean up the edges of the acrylic bunny ears then detail. Once that's done I can do the roof...oh and texture the walls a bit...then paint.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 08:59:04 PM »
A bit more progress...

The caulk holding the vanes in place isn't dry yet but I'll make a start on the roof anyway. I used a bit of tile grout to add some texture to the walls...damn that stuff gets everywhere.

Just over two weeks to go; I'm hoping to finish building this weekendish which should leave me plenty of time to paint it up before the deadline...hopefully.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 04:56:42 PM »
The combination of SciFi technology and medieval construction is a very funky look- I can't wait to see it painted.