Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:48:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Roman and Germanic Warriors ca 200 AD  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Help with Roman and Germanic Warriors ca 200 AD
« on: October 08, 2023, 09:27:46 AM »
Hi folks,

I recently stumbled over the current COHORS CTHULHU Kickstarter from Mödiphiüs:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/cohors-cthulhu-tabletop-roleplaying-game
“Cohors Cthulhu is a setting for Lovecraftian horror placed against a backdrop of epic heroism, intrigue, and strife during the height of the early Roman Empire, brought to you in this campaign by a roleplaying game and accompanying miniatures.”

The setting sounds very interesting to me and I immediately thought about some fitting minis...
So - what can you recommend mini wise?
Victrix, SAGA? Anything else. "Scale" should be heroic 28 mm!

Thanks already :)

cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: Help with Roman and Germanic Warriors ca 200 AD
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 10:28:49 AM »
The look of Roman soldiers and their Germanic allies/opponents changed quite a bit during the 3rd century CE. This Cthulhu thing rather draws on an earlier period (or clichés thereof). So you might just want to go for Copplestone’s hairy barbarians done for Foundry. They’re quite chunky if not necessarily ‘heroic 28’ as measured by GW.

If you want to stick with the 3rd century (a period miserably underrepresented in the hobby), here’s my attempt at doing it using all the plastic kits available:

To the right there’s a Germanic contingent, kitbashed from Dacian and Gallic warriors by Victrix, Picts by Gripping Beast and Romans and Goths by Wargames Atlantic. All quite interchangeable. Focus is on (predominantly) decent dress and hairdo, colourful appearance and light but functional (not makeshift) equipment.

EDIT: I lied. The chief to the far right is a slightly converted “Ragnar” by Footsore.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 10:39:18 AM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 11:10:58 AM »
Building on the last post. Assuming this is set in the late 1st/early 2nd century AD you could look at Victrix,Wargames Foundry, Aventine or Warlord. As it seems to be an RPG I presume it is a low figure count plus you may want differently posed figures? VICTRIX come in big-ish packs but I guess you can sell-on what you don't want. From memory the Foundry Early Imperial figures are quite small having been sculpted back in the '90s. Foundry's Germanic range is superb.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 01:54:43 PM »
Building on the last post. Assuming this is set in the late 1st/early 2nd century AD you could look at Victrix,Wargames Foundry, Aventine or Warlord. As it seems to be an RPG I presume it is a low figure count plus you may want differently posed figures? VICTRIX come in big-ish packs but I guess you can sell-on what you don't want.
If they are in the UK, you can just buy the individual sprues from a number of resellers. Shop around and it's often cheaper than buying the full pack from Victrix.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 02:24:43 PM »
..."Scale" should be heroic 28 mm!

I think that will be the difficulty.  I have some Lucid Eye Sea Peoples that are that scale but I don't think he does many Romans and haven't seen any Gauls.

Maybe look for 3D printed and scale up.  Red Copper are brilliant but again, I don't think they do any Romans...

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 03:07:17 PM »
Forgot to add that A&A do a Middle Imperial Rome range. According to their website they are suitable for the period 121 to 260AD. I don't own them so cannot speak to how they scale.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 03:10:45 PM »
Thanks already folks!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 03:50:30 PM »
Forgot to add that A&A do a Middle Imperial Rome range. According to their website they are suitable for the period 121 to 260AD. I don't own them so cannot speak to how they scale.

A&A's "Middle Imperial Romans" are by Adam, the sculptor of Aventine Miniatures and their "Not-so-early Imperial Romans". Both ranges fit in quite nicely with the plastic sets mentioned above; I used a few as officers or for conversions. The dates given, however, are slightly misleading: A&A mentions Marcus Aurelius who was born in 121 but ascended to the throne only in 161; his reign saw the beginning of the 'Antonine revolution', i. e. a noticeable change in military equipment and, presumably, tactics. This process lasted well into the 3rd century.

Minutiae aside, there are only a few models in A&A's and Aventines catalogue to fit the search for 'Germanic' ranges anyway.

FWIW @Agis, you can find my lenghty drivel (all in German) on that period and its wargaming potential here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 04:01:52 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 05:13:55 PM »
You may also like to look at Cthulhu Invictus (single volume I think).  A similar setting and period. Although I don’t use the rules I have found the background interesting and useful for games using another set of fantasy rules.  I am considering Cohors Cthulhu but a bit put off by the huge amount of paper involved.

My own forces were started a long time ago and are a mix of various manufacturers with the exception of Victrix.  Only because they tower over my other figures from the 1990s.

I have Agema, Warlord, Wargames Factory, Wargames Atlantic, Foundry, Aventine, some 3d prints, some fantasy figures and probably others too especially for civilians.  All these fit together quite well.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 06:23:41 PM »
FWIW @Agis, you can find my lenghty drivel (all in German) on that period and its wargaming potential here.
BIG thanks, exactly what I needed!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 09:13:44 PM »
I would use a mix, some companies like Crusader, Warlord and Footsore have civilians and special characters. Great for such thematic ideas. A&A would fit great for the period. Crusader have a lot of „Bavarian’s“. So find a mix
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 05:59:33 AM »
I'd also add that Wargames Foundry have a very good range of Roman-era civilians, both armed and unarmed. Unlike their military packs all these models are in different poses.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 07:59:44 AM »
I'd also add that Wargames Foundry have a very good range of Roman-era civilians, both armed and unarmed. Unlike their military packs all these models are in different poses.
Lol, these I already got! :)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 08:10:21 AM »
Great, you are well on your way. Footsore's "Gangs of Rome" mobs are pretty good and not as stupidly priced as their individual figures.