Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690982
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Storage solutions  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
Storage solutions
« on: February 09, 2024, 09:32:04 PM »
Hey Folks,

Just looking for some ideas and pics of how you all store your minis/scenery and everything else in between. Looking for inspiration for my own storage solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
Re: Storage solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 09:34:16 PM »
Really Useful Boxes, MDF inserts and magnetic basing
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 01:01:14 AM »
Walmart had some Plano tackle boxes in their fishing section, so pretty much cleared them out.  lol

Something no one really mentions about storage is stacking, availability, and price when you want more containers.

I've only had luck with the Plano 3700 series.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 06:22:17 AM »
Really Useful Boxes, MDF inserts and magnetic basing

As Ithoriel mentioned... RUB boxes, inserts and magnetic bases work really well for me.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 07:02:07 AM »
As Ithoriel mentioned... RUB boxes, inserts and magnetic bases work really well for me.
This. With RUB storage towers.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 07:16:09 AM »
I have a bunch of different bins of various size and types. Overall, I like clear plastic bins for most things. This lets me see what's inside. For my terrain, I mostly base it on some version of 2, 3, 4, 6 or 9" bases, so look for bins that have an inside dimension (not an outside one) that works for that.

Offline Chrismck

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 06:39:24 PM »
So it would appear that really useful boxes are highly rated lol. I'd never even heard of them before. Look good for storing armies!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 07:04:37 PM »
So it would appear that really useful boxes are highly rated lol . I'd never even heard of them before. Look good for storing armies!

There are two disadvantages to be aware of:
1) Over time the handles stretch and the lids can pop open with the slightest touch. As I stack them on top of each other this often leads to the lids sliding around.
2) A fair amount of outside space is wasted with supports and edges - the inside and outside space are not always shown and I've been caught trying to fit them on some shelves

Saying that, they are strong, stack well and reasonably available in the U.K. - postage can be a killer sometimes if you are buying online.

Oh yes - one minor point is that the official labels can be a real pain to peel off!

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 07:31:22 PM »
FWIW:
1) I’ve only had problems with stretched lids when I’ve used insert trays on a box. The lids don’t fit securely without a tray after that.
2) I mostly stick with the 4, 9 & 19L boxes because they have the same footprint.
3) I tend to buy direct. I find postage, while not insignificant, is not too bad considering the bulk.
4) The stickers are indeed a PITA to remove.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 08:16:03 PM »
With RUBs, check out the internal and external sizes before you buy. I was going to get the 4L which about equates to a box file but I found the internal height wasn’t quite enough to accommodate my flag poles unless they were laid down. So I went for the 11L which does have a much bigger area. I then got magnetic sheets for the base of the box and the underside of the figure bases from:-

https://magneticdisplays.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_89

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 03:22:08 AM »
Oh yes - one minor point is that the official labels can be a real pain to peel off!

I put a larger sticker describing the contents over the official label.  I appreciate the sturdy nature of the outside and the way they stack on my steel wire shelving.

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 01:12:23 PM »
I've used the Plano boxes for many of my figures. Depending on base sizes you can't always maximize the space inside them.

Sterlite makes some boxes that worked but finding them is some times difficult and they don't really have a good one for 28mm figures with flags or for cavalry.

Lately I've been getting RUBs. The 4L and the 8.1L, I'm in the US. For my Marks Little Soldiers I made inserts and laid the figures down and was able to get four layers of figures in a 8.1L box. I'll use the same system for my WWII 15mm armies

I've bought mine from GoVets. Pricing seemed fair and service was good.
https://www.govets.com/isaac/search/result/?q=really+useful+boxes&qty_inc=1&v=1707656799

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 01:58:50 PM »
Standard Jewelry storage trays
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 12:20:02 AM »
If you are having an issue with pikes / standards etc not fitting as they are too tall then some sizes come an an XL version - these have a deep lid that adds a couple of cm to the internal depth.

Lids are sold separately directly from https://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk BUT postage from here is £12+VAT

Amazon Prime comes in handy - you often pay a couple of pounds more but the delivery is inbuilt to the price...

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 10:07:51 AM »
I took a stock take of how I store figures a while back and the totals were:

White boxes x 41
    This includes figures stored in boxes with magnetic/steel sheet combo and individual fantasy figures stored in KR foam trays in the boxes.

Really Useful boxes x 3
    I have never found them that useful for storing painted figures but did pick up some MDF inserts which work well with the 25mm minifigs marlburians and a 4l box

Kaiser Rushforth Cases x 8
    These hold skirmish forces, spaceships, ogres, etc

Small bisley drawers x 29
    mostly 20mm, ships and smaller 25s such as the FPW infantry

Larger Bisley Cabinets  x 14
    Cavalry, figures with spears, 40mm AWI, etc

I also have 14 shelves of two display cabinets ocupied by 54mm Toy Soldier armies, 54mm Punic Wars and my 54 Napoleonics collection (10 shelves and a ton of figures still to sort and repaint/refurbish)

Add to that the scenery which occupies:

12 x 50L boxes
    9 x plastic drawers
    15 whites boxes and RUBs

This doesn't include the boxes of unpainted figures which are in the loft or in the 2 under desk 8 drawer cabinets....

I have started to rationalise the LOTR figure storage (I was storing them on movement trays but decided that took up too much space)

Mike

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk