Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:21:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690835
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp
« on: March 01, 2024, 09:26:32 AM »
As in the title.

I'm participating in a slow burning Frostgrave campaign, and actually created a snow/ice/winter table to game on, but I have, as of yet, no terrain to put on it. Well, no thematic terrain anyway and Tattooine style desert buildings look decidedly odd on a snowy ground.

So I need some winter terrain. And while normally a bunch of hills and ruins would be the best starting point, I'm of course doing this backwards and I'm starting with a piece of terrain that is actually of very little use in-game.

See; in Frostgrave, there are parts of the game that take place off-board, either before or after the game. And also, you can purchase elements for your camp, that will give you certain advantages in-game. But all of this is strictly off-board.

Which is why I want to model a typical Frostgrave warband camp. Because, of course... lol

My take on it will be a ruined building that somehow has one more or less intact room left. I picture this to be a corner room, with parts of collapsed walls hinting at the house's original floorplan.

The room will be where the warband gathers to plan, but is also the wizard's den and laboratory. The not-magical folk will be holed up nearby, probably in other parts of the same building, but the wizard requires some seclusion to conduct his/her magical experiments.

So in essence at least, it'll be a workplace  ;)

I intend to add as many purchaseable (in-game) elements to the build as I can. So (off the top of my head), there can be a dog kennel, a summoning circle, a telescope, a library, etc.

The build will be made on an MDF base, with chipboard walls, which will then be covered with individual foam bricks (yes: mad :D ). The room will have a roof, which will be the floor of a second story, which will be ruined. I plan to make the roof detacheable to see the purdy stuffs inside, but when on the table, it'll just function as blocking terrain that can be climbed as well.

There'll be ruined wall sections, piles of rubble and additional frostgrave camp elements outside of the room. I'll also have to figure out a couple of ways to reach the second floor, which will also be ruined.

And then snow and ice. Lots of snow and ice, obviously...

This will be my first build with individual bricks/stones, so I'm pretty stoked about that. And the detailing; always my favourite part.

Now to figure out a way to include a butterfly somewhere that's not out of place... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Re: BSC2024 Daeothar's Frostgrave Warband Camp
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 05:14:03 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this build.  I think I've read that in the new Mortal Enemies book there are scenarios fought in and for the warband's camp.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 06:26:16 PM »
Now to figure out a way to include a butterfly somewhere that's not out of place... ;)

If the camp requires non-combatant servants you could give one of them a butterfly hairgrip.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 11:18:56 AM »
Cheers guys :)

Looking forward to seeing this build.  I think I've read that in the new Mortal Enemies book there are scenarios fought in and for the warband's camp.
I don't have that one just yet. I must rectify this immediately...  :D

Here's a first rough sketch I just did. Looking at the things I want to accomplish, I'm reckoning about an A4 size groundplan should be workable, maybe a tad smaller. The room should take up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the available floorspace...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 01:53:00 PM »
And in the meantime, I've managed to cut and bevel the base, draw in some rough dimensions and cut a modest amount of stones and bricks for the build.

I will no doubt require more, but this amount will provide a good start at least.

The base structure of the room will be made from chipboard, as it's easy to cut and glue and will provide a solid base for the stones and bricks to be stacked up against. The insides will be plastered, so no ugly cardboard finish :)

Having fun already...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 03:26:44 PM »
And drying time...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 03:52:31 PM »
Good progress, well done.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 04:27:40 PM »
Looks good - and what speed!  8)

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 05:03:36 PM »
Looking good.

I was intrigued when you mentioned chipboard for your walls, as that's the stuff I've used to board my loft and about a centimeter thick.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 05:38:24 PM »
Yes, that might be a misnomer. Even though I pride myself on my English, I'm not a native speaker and the (very) occasional wrong word might slip through. Usually a misinterpretation of something I heard elsewhere.

A well known Youtube terrain crafter by the handle of Wyloch uses this material a lot and I believe he calls it medium chipboard? As he explains it; it's the cardboard stuff you find as the backing of a legal pad.

In the Netherlands we simply call it cardboard, but hey; that's me trying to act all fancy lol

So yeah; let's just call it cardboard. Also; it's 1mm thick, in case you were wondering...

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 08:56:41 PM »
It seems it can be both, which isn't confusing at all o_o

For craft work
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipboard-Sheets-8-5-Alternative-Cardboard/dp/B08LR2TBPG

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 10:17:51 PM »
Interesting idea and a good start. I want to build something similar for my Escher gang in the future.

Well, no thematic terrain anyway and Tattooine style desert buildings look decidedly odd on a snowy ground.

Well, if you are talking about the half spherical buildings, painted white it might work as a kind of igloo  ;)

The build will be made on an MDF base, with chipboard walls, which will then be covered with individual foam bricks (yes: mad :D ).

I will probably do the same thing for the winery building  lol

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 10:32:38 AM »
Very cool idea!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 08:42:48 PM »
Laying the first stones.

It appears this takes time! Who knew, eh?  :D

Letting the first session dry thoroughly now, before attacking the freestanding stuff and the upper floor. It's a very cathartic and soothing activity I must say  :)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2024, 04:32:13 AM »
That's a fine start.  The stones look perfect.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.