Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:02:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690853
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Weird War II conversions and kitbashes in 1/35 (Von Krupt warped by Elder Gods)  (Read 4597 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Moving home and having a baby has lead to an unvoluntary 2 year break from the hobby in any active capacity.

I have started to kitbash and convert some more figures for my 1/35 scale project though, and to motivate myself to keep finding the time, I will start a thread for them here.

I will start with some I did pre-move/baby and didn't post here and then move on to the new ones.

First ones are the obvious go to for anyone converting WWWII models: German zombies!

These are done using plastic 1/35 wehrmacht figures and the old GW zombie kit. You know the one, the one with oversized heads, hands and pretty much everything. Not very good for 28mm, but wonderful for converting 1/35 scale zombies.

After the initial kitbashing of the plastic parts:

And then with some greenstuff to fill the gaps and add some more wear and tear:

And a fifth one I did a bit later using a different plastic kit:

And an officer using a second hand resin body that had some wonky casting (possible recast) and a Mauser Earth head.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 09:47:17 AM by white knight »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Weird War II conversions and kitbashes in 1/35
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 04:29:17 PM »
I like it.   :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 05:27:17 PM »
They are great.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 05:38:36 PM »
Nice find about the old goofy zombie kit! Having some 1/35 projects myself, I will follow this thread with great interest.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 07:43:04 PM »
Thanks. I can't take credit for that revelation. Redzed did it years ago and there's at least one more member on here who did it as well. I should also point out that even at this scale, the hands in the zombie set are still grossly oversized...  o_o

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Weird War II conversions and kitbashes in 1/35 (wolf runners added)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 09:25:45 AM »
The next couple conversions were these German wolf runners (scouts). These are a werewolf type troop, where the wolf gene has been diluted so that the human side is more dominant and they are more in control.

These use (supposedly 28mm) heads from Puppetswar miniatures. 2 of the 5 heads are a bit small, but the other 3 seem to work just fine. That's a mix of scalecreep and the distorted proportions of gods own scale for you.

The first two are a squad leader and trooper.

The squad leader uses a resin body that I have forgotten the manufacturer off at the moment. Having a smoke and standing in a casual pose, he gives off a Wolverine type vibe to me.

A standard trooper, using a plastic body that I got off a fellow LAF-member a while ago.

Then a third one I'm not quite sure about whether it works, so I haven't greenstuffed the gaps at the shoulders yet. It's a jacked up drug enhanced version of the wolf runner, bringing out a more feral side. It uses another plastic body (the hunched over pose seemed suitable) and plastic arms from a 40K spacewolf kit from a bits seller. Again, scalecreep means these arms are long enough and I'm wondering if they are not all together to muscular for the body. I would welcome some thoughts on that.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 10:07:43 AM »
Those arms are probably too bulky, but you could hide the comparatively puny looking torso by sculpting a zeltbahn half over his shoulders.
The idea is really good though, who knows, Vril works in mysterious ways.......

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 10:11:21 AM »
Zeltbahn is a good idea, but slightly more complex then the kind of sculpting I'm willing to do in this scale as it is above my skill level and I do want it to look as good as it can. Probably better to just scrap the idea. It's insane how bulky these supposedly 28mm parts can get.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 08:34:41 PM »
Nice find on the arms, you could sculpt some fur and tattered clothes to its back as the uniform is torn on its bulky muscles.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Weird War II conversions and kitbashes in 1/35 (graf Orlock added)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2024, 10:02:12 AM »
WW2 Graf Orlock (Nosferatu). Another conversion I'm not quite sure works. Using modified head and hands from the zombie kit and a plastic body that had a suitable uniform (it's from a ICM plastic kit with German road police).

I did acquire another set of plastic hands from a bits seller that may work better. Not entirely happy with the head either. Adjusting the shoulders to be more square might also help. Thoughts? ???

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2024, 05:47:34 PM »
I think its cool, you just need to fit the hands to the arms better. Drilling the arms of the coat might help.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 10:11:49 PM »
I also think this one looks good as is, hollow the cuffs and inset the wrists and he will work.

As well as the GW Zombie heads you can get good use from the Mantic Ghoul heads, I have used several of them with my 1/48th Projekt X figure conversions. You also get the "Freddy" style razor claws that add another option.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
In the series of bad ideas I'm not sure I should do, but have to do anyway to get out of my system, I was thinking of adding a Weird WW2 version of a Dirty Dozen/Suicide Squad type of band, starting with this Joker & Harley. Getting the choice between going on potentially deadly missions or a firing squad, these criminals chose the former, at least until they see an opportunity to get away.

The Joker uses a German resin officer head with a smirk (it's the head that gave me the idea) and a british officer resin body with a cane. I don't remember where the oversized gun came from but it seemed appropriate and some greenstuff detail was added (flower and hair). Harley Quinn is a standard resin WW2 pin-up style model that just screamed Harley as it was.

The idea is to paint them in the following colours:

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
Even if you don't include the squad in the end those 2 are great figures. But you really should use them, WWWII needs old school comicbook characters and supers.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM

very inventive, can't wait to see those 2 painted up.