Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Revisiting Yellow Ribbon- A Project  (Read 5768 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Revisiting Yellow Ribbon- A Project
« on: March 03, 2024, 11:20:13 AM »

I have been refurbishing my old Yellow Ribbon collection and have dug out an ancient copy of Greg Novak’s Yellow Ribbon rules. 

Most of the figures I have are from the original Frei Korp range. I’m not sure if they first appeared in the 70’s or early 80’s. A long time ago for sure. They are true 15mm.  I also have some Minifigs and Peter Pig, they all work together nicely enough.
If it is of interest here is the link:

http://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: Revisiting Yellow Ribbon- A Project
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 03:05:03 PM »
Very interesting!
I've just got a set of Yellow Ribbon rules, any advice on how the game plays, would be most appreciated.
  :)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 03:37:05 PM »
Thanks Harry.

Yellow Ribbon plays very nicely, solo or with pals.

The Indians do their own thing.  This is good as the cavalry never know how they will react.  You need a pack of playing cards to determine the cavalry wounds.  It isn't complex or time consuming.  Cavalry players need to take good care of their wounded.

The game fairly nips along once you have started.  You do need to rate both sides before you begin.  This is good because it allows for very different sorts of game.

I intend a blog post on playing Yellow Ribbon as part of this project.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 03:49:45 PM »
Very nice paint jobs there OB.

I have (long waiting) project to do similar (6mm) using Pony Wars.
How do you think they compare with Yellow Ribbon, if you've played
them that is.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 05:25:53 PM »
OB, I highly recommend you go with Peter Pig for your teepees.  I have lots of Irregular stuff but their teepees are small and all metal and - to my eye - not the most convincing.  Peter Pig are much better, in my opinion.

For dismounted tribals - Peter Pig, QRF - Yellow Ribbon, and especially the old range available through Hovels, great little bits in the village packs, also travois.

If you need to add wagons, back to Peter Pig which is also a great source for dead - but also Hovels, though Hovels range are the smallish old west 15 mm figures out there. 

For the comparison question between Pony Wars and Yellow Ribbon - I'd say very different rules, I bought the reprint of Pony Wars, which inspired my massive collection that is only partly painted, but just decided they weren't playable.  Yellow Ribbon are certainly playable but my collection is too big for single basing figures which I think Yellow Ribbon requires.

Last thought, for now, use Rosebud as your inspiration over Little Big Horn.  More options.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 05:50:49 PM »
Very nice paint jobs there OB.

I have (long waiting) project to do similar (6mm) using Pony Wars.
How do you think they compare with Yellow Ribbon, if you've played
them that is.

Thanks, the ink wash does a lot of work in painting those fellow.  Makes the detail easier to pick out.

I have both, they are very different.  Yellow Ribbon is easier to get on the table.  Less figures required too. 

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 06:03:24 PM »
OB, I highly recommend you go with Peter Pig for your teepees.  I have lots of Irregular stuff but their teepees are small and all metal and - to my eye - not the most convincing.  Peter Pig are much better, in my opinion.

For dismounted tribals - Peter Pig, QRF - Yellow Ribbon, and especially the old range available through Hovels, great little bits in the village packs, also travois.

If you need to add wagons, back to Peter Pig which is also a great source for dead - but also Hovels, though Hovels range are the smallish old west 15 mm figures out there. 

For the comparison question between Pony Wars and Yellow Ribbon - I'd say very different rules, I bought the reprint of Pony Wars, which inspired my massive collection that is only partly painted, but just decided they weren't playable.  Yellow Ribbon are certainly playable but my collection is too big for single basing figures which I think Yellow Ribbon requires.

Last thought, for now, use Rosebud as your inspiration over Little Big Horn.  More options.

Too late on the tepees.  All the same I think you are right.  The Irregular ones are not a good match for Sioux Lodges.  I may get some of the Hovels village stuff.

I have a wagon coming from QRF.  It's been coming for a month now.  Must be coming off road overland or maybe lost a wheel.   I did get the Peter Pig wounded cavalry figures.  You don't need the dead for Yellow Ribbon.  The wounded are essential.

I think you can easily double base your Indians for Yellow Ribbon except for the Leader figures.  Not so the cavalry of course.  My Indians are on a mixture of double and single bases. That seems to work for casualty removal if you have enough singles.

Yes on the Rosebud.  I have Powder River and the Battle of the Rosebud ordered.  They should arrive next week.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 11:55:55 AM »
A quick skim through the rules puts me in mind of 'With Fire and Sword'. The Palefaces must complete their task, while making sure no wounded, fall into the hands of bronzed, painted savages! So straight away, the Blubelly's are hobbled somewhat. In true Crazy Horse mode, the Redskins kind of knock about, till they think,'I've fought enough for today'!
I'm really looking forward to getting started heading West.

:-*

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 06:47:27 PM »
That sounds about right.  Both rule sets are about the same vintage.  The real fun starts when the Cavalry have Indian allies who, naturally enough, behave like Indians.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 02:07:57 PM »
QRF seems to be getting product out to buyer about a month after ordering from personal experience and other posters here on TMP - a thread specific to the company and how long to get stuff from them recently.  Hope you have yours by now. 

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 03:13:58 PM »
I still don't, but Powder River and Rosebud have arrived!  A real treat I think.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 09:33:41 AM »

K Company US 7th Cavalry is now up on my blog mounted and dismounted. All from QRF. 

I have also a selection of wounded cavalry from Peter Pig.  All intended for Yellow Ribbon.

As required by the rules I have rated K Company.  There is also some info on the men of K Company and their commander.

If it is of interest here is the link:

http://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 11:50:31 AM »

Wonderful, we need more plains wars stuff on this board.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 12:17:34 PM »
Thanks Tom.  My next plains war post will be on the Crow.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2024, 02:12:54 PM »
Like those, a lot.

:-*