Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:06:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1st Afghan War - British Officers Forage Caps  (Read 572 times)

Offline SirRoystonPapworth

• Bookworm
1st Afghan War - British Officers Forage Caps
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:18:52 AM »
Hi All,

So, I am painting up a couple of armies for the First Afghan War and I have come up with a slight stumbling block.

Most officers on campaign wore a forage cap rather than a shako.
Now I have started painting these as black, based on the Foundry British in India book (my ‘go to’ for the period) and the Tim Reese plates.

However, I am starting to see more and more references to these being blue for line infantry & Bengal Light Cavalry.

Can anyone give me a steer on this? It’s becoming one of those minor things that becomes an all consuming rabbit hole…  :'(

Offline EnclavedMicrostate

• Librarian
Re: 1st Afghan War - British Officers Forage Caps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:25:09 AM »
I am not an outright expert, but from what I gather, the answer seems to be that the wool used for blue garments in the British army was generally dyed a very dark blue colour that might as well look black. I for one have painted 1860s British and Indian regiments using both black and blue, and while the latter is more accurate (and looks a little nicer), it's not an enormously significant difference when you get down to it.

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 08:53:17 AM »
Thank you EMS.  You are spot on, especially with the minor detail bit - it had kinda blown itself out of proportion and I needed help to reel it back in.

Thanks again.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 09:40:02 AM »
It's a little more complex than that.

Forage caps were authorised at the end of the 1820s.  They were either issued in blue for line infantry or green for light infantry regiments. The early broad crowned versions had a coloured band. Red for Royal regiments, facing colour for everyone else. In the mid 1830s a simpler version with less pronounced crown was introduced which was nominally a solid blue or green but depictions of the 13th (Somerset) Light infantry show caps with a band in facing colour. Both types were used at the same time.  From 1836 peaked forage caps were authorised for other ranks but these seem to be more of a feature for the 1840s. Scinde, Gwalior and the Sikh wars.

Officers forage caps were blue or green as per the men but with a black leather peak and from 1834 the band between the crown and leather peak was black for non-Royal regiments.

So yes, whilst the blue is quite dark you'll need it to be sufficiently blue to distinguish it from the black band.

Officers did occasionally wear privately purchased faux shakos. They were a light wicker frame with oil cloth stretched over them, so as to look like the actual item in the foul weather cover. Could also have the white hot weather cover. The advantage was that they were significantly lighter and more comfortable than the actual shako. So, if you fancy, you can pop the occasional officer in a covered shako.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 05:48:19 PM »
Thanks Carlos.

Ties in with most of my reference. But I wonder why French & Reese went with black…

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 05:59:02 PM »
Well the usual colour was quite a dark blue and remember such items were private purchase so no doubt there was variation in the cloth used.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 05:47:24 PM »
This is a very good place to look for information: https://www.irondukeminiatures.co.uk/historical-notes