Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF inspired videos!  (Read 14665 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Re: VSF inspired videos!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 06:51:54 AM »
Because Vistorian Science Fiction are alternative history of Vicorian Age. That means its includes all wars from Crimean War and before World War 1. American Civil War and Colonial wars are in there. You can play colonial games (or Crimean, American Civil War, Russo-Turkish, Colonial Wars, Franco-Prussian , etc) in historical way, or just add some steam landships and late 19-th century wargame will be VSF.

former user

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 07:10:36 AM »
Yes, but VSF includes a lot of modern retro technology, which is rather useless in assymetrical warfare like colonial encounters. Even historically the full range of victorian era modern warfare was not used. What is the point of using e.g. Steamtanks against native warriors?

I personally see the focus of VSF more in not fighting replacement conflicts, but the european imperialist powers trying to combat each other by means of technological gadgets.
Thus the colonial subjects would become rather a source for manpower and raw materials.
Or otherwise the "primitive" natives could become more advanced and able to counter the colonialist threat, like the martian and venusian settings.

Simply moving down more native warriors with steamtanks or technological gadgets leads to even more numbers of them having to counterbalance the imperialist superiority.
Of course this is a personal approach and taste.

I am not into starting a discussion for the mere sake of it, but to understanding the essence of VSF better. :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 10:42:29 AM »
Yes, but VSF includes a lot of modern retro technology, which is rather useless in assymetrical warfare like colonial encounters. Even historically the full range of victorian era modern warfare was not used. What is the point of using e.g. Steamtanks against native warriors?

I personally see the focus of VSF more in not fighting replacement conflicts, but the european imperialist powers trying to combat each other by means of technological gadgets.
Thus the colonial subjects would become rather a source for manpower and raw materials.
Or otherwise the "primitive" natives could become more advanced and able to counter the colonialist threat, like the martian and venusian settings.

Simply moving down more native warriors with steamtanks or technological gadgets leads to even more numbers of them having to counterbalance the imperialist superiority.
Of course this is a personal approach and taste.

I am not into starting a discussion for the mere sake of it, but to understanding the essence of VSF better. :)

A lot of it is due to what I actually own. Whilst I would love to create a VSF war involving the European Powers, I don't have the time or resources for 28mm :(  Maybe one day in 6mm or 2mm  :)

I do have a decent collection of colonial stuff though, so I can add in a few vehicles, creatures or experimental weapons and things instantly become very different to conventional colonial games.  Not just for the Europeans either, but adding VSF tech to "native" forces (foreign advisors, captured mad scientist, tribal-owned rare resources allowing them to buy the tech etc) can make life very difficult for the colonial forces.

It really doesn't mattrer to me where my VSF games are set, just being able to use my imagination to make things different from the conventional is great fun  :)

former user

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
this approach I do understand, thx

Offline Ricco

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »
I was into Colonials long before I "Knew" about VSF. I had the figs for colonials as did most of my gaming pals, so we use what we have. My Pathans have halted the british steam contraptions a few times by killing crew.

While I do not look to destroy steam tanks with my Zulus, they have kept the Brits infantry busy while my allies Prussian/German artillery did in the Brit steam stuff. 

I have even taken out an open topped steam ram, with a gatling on top, by charging it with my Pathan sword armed infantry. In our  next game the Pathans, who were supported by the Tsars troops, turned the staem tank against the Brits.  It was fun to have a unit of Pathan swords attached to this steam ram charging across the battlefield against its former country men.  The Brits shot it to oblivion of course but not before the swordsmen over run some British allies. Its all fun!!!
Shit Keith ... Not another stinkin air war game!!!!!

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
OK! Some of you may use 2mm Rail Gun from Irregulars for Land Ironclad games (I do :) )
Steelonsand uses it to
http://steelonsand.blogspot.com/2009/03/weird-world-war-i-part-2.html

So this video is about raliway gun (in this clip they mistakenly call it Big Bertha, but this is scriptwriter error!)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:43 PM »
German Biplane vs Russian Infantry. Its on 1:38 minutes

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:57:40 PM by Fjodin »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »
Yes, but VSF includes a lot of modern retro technology, which is rather useless in assymetrical warfare like colonial encounters. Even historically the full range of victorian era modern warfare was not used. What is the point of using e.g. Steamtanks against native warriors?...

This is why I'm approaching VSF via Atlantis. Colonial forces a la 'historical' wargaming, plus aeronefs and steamtanks, plus a random mix of adventurers, big-game hunters and gunslingers, against other similar groups from other world powers (pesky Prusso-Swedish alliance) but also 'crystal energy' (OK, laser) wielding, dinosaur riding Atlanteans, Morlocks (orcs) with both stone-age and captured technological weapons, and Martians and Venusians too, if I can get it together.

I absolutely agree that the British Army plus steamtanks re-fighting Rourkes' Drift would be a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. But I'm not a big fan of putting too much 'history' into games anyway, in the end, it just comes down to real people being killed and that's not fun.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 07:13:18 AM »
Queen Victoria Empire. Documantary in 4 chapters.

Queen Victoria (Engines of Change)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 07:17:48 AM »
Episode 2: Passage to India

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 07:19:50 AM »
Episode 3: The Moral Crusade

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
Episode 4: The Scramble for Africa

LOL! You can see zulu war era redcoat on 0:24 with lee-enfield??!!! Funny mistake!

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »
OK! Queen Victoria Empire series is other..... But I've also found this one
South Africa: The boer war

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »
Battle of Omdurman (short but with many KABOOMS!)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »
Lets make some war in Crimea!

Charge Of The Light Brigade - Battle of Alma

Charge Of The Light Brigade - Battle of Balaclava

The Charge of The Light Brigade (1936), Errol Flynn

March to the Alma
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:29:55 AM by Fjodin »