Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Converting the Mega Bloks Predator - WIP  (Read 20812 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Converting the Mega Bloks Predator - WIP
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Not an expert here...

But I believe it was the practise of the British and Americans to clean their decks with holystone.  This sandstone material actually scraped the deck and whitened it at the same time.

Pirates, OTOH, weren't so neat and tidy...

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 10:23:48 PM »
Finally, the last of the materials I needed have arrived, and she's pretty much finished (apart from a few minor thing, such as adding the windows and door to the front of the cabin, of course).

Now I can start to think about painting.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »
Huh. I don't know how I missed this thread. Must have been too busy with that bloody gunship.

I must say, great job here, and having done one myself, I am impressed. Warrenbruhn and I will continue to disagree on deck colors, but I think what you have done looks fabulous. I can't wait to see your finished job.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 05:28:10 AM »
Looks like nice anchor, bell, and ship's wheel from some hobby store that stocks bits for model ships. Those little details are really great, and will really help the finished look.

That fore castle is absolutely excellent!

Like the look of that lion figurehead on the Predator.  The shark figurehead on my Stormstalker is mighty big by comparison.

Sinewgrab fixed those holes low in the sides by filling them in with wads of green stuff.  Could not figure out a way to use a hole that low in the hull as either a gunport or an anchor rack, so he just filled them in.

Trouble with that foremast is that it's too thin compared to the after mast.  If you don't have another plastic mast available from another Mega Bloks kit, then I'd suggest going to the hardward store and buying a metal tube of the same diameter.  Aluminum and copper are available and aren't as hard as brass.  You could cut the metal tube to a similar height as the aftermast.  You could scratch it up lengthwise with steel wool before painting to make it look more like the plastic after mast.  You can make crow's nests with magnetic bases so that your pirate figures will stick on.

Fabric stores have cheap linen cloth in tan colors to use for additional sails.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Sinewgrab!

Looks like nice anchor, bell, and ship's wheel from some hobby store that stocks bits for model ships. Those little details are really great, and will really help the finished look.

That fore castle is absolutely excellent!

Like the look of that lion figurehead on the Predator.  The shark figurehead on my Stormstalker is mighty big by comparison.

Sinewgrab fixed those holes low in the sides by filling them in with wads of green stuff.  Could not figure out a way to use a hole that low in the hull as either a gunport or an anchor rack, so he just filled them in.

Trouble with that foremast is that it's too thin compared to the after mast.  If you don't have another plastic mast available from another Mega Bloks kit, then I'd suggest going to the hardward store and buying a metal tube of the same diameter.  Aluminum and copper are available and aren't as hard as brass.  You could cut the metal tube to a similar height as the aftermast.  You could scratch it up lengthwise with steel wool before painting to make it look more like the plastic after mast.  You can make crow's nests with magnetic bases so that your pirate figures will stick on.

Fabric stores have cheap linen cloth in tan colors to use for additional sails.

I'm definitely beginning to agree with you on the thickness of the foremast - it does far too thin now that i've started painting, so when I get the chance i'm going to try and find a spare or build another with some metal or PVC. Failing that, i've heard there's another one of these ships going cheap in a bargain store.

Anyways, I've been busy painting over the weekend, and although the Leeuw, as i've christened her, isn't quite finished, she's looking very good indeed.

I filled in the windows so that the ship had a more consistent look (the windows on the forecastle and the front of cabin were filled in, so I thought it best that the rest of the windows were too), and although it's the first time i've attempted to paint glass, I think they came out pretty well.

A quick view of the main deck facing the cabin - the cabin wall looks a little plain from this angle, but i'm fairly happy with it at the moment.

As you can see, the decks are lighter than the rest of the ship - the hull was painted Scorched Brown (a whole bloody pot of the stuff!) followed by a drybrush of Bestial Brown, while the decks were scorched brown, followed by a drybrush of Khemri Brown and a further highlight of Desert Yellow.

I'll post some more shots of the whole thing when i've finished off everything (the masts still need painting, and i'm debating whether to make some temporary sails).

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »
VERY impressive.  Not only are the windows excellent, and the guns, and the deck, but what you've done with the grating is also top notch.  It's excellent that you have the grating raised on a little platform.  I'm sure that kept some of the water sloshing accross the deck from going below.

By the way, where did you get the windows and door?  Or did you make them?  Where did you get the gun carriages?  Or did you make those?

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »
I wish I were skilled enough to make such things. :)

The windows are Wills' Windows and Doors set without the actual window frames (which really looked like they belong more on a building than a ship). I made the door myself with some thinner plastic card (although the window was part of the aforementioned set), and used some match sticks to create the door frame. Matches were used for the framing on the grate.

The guns (and carriages) are actually proper scale modeller's guns by Amati, bought through Cornwall model boats - the ones i've used are "4159/50 Decorative Cannon Wood Carriage 50mm" which are the perfect size for 28mm miniatures - i've also got a few of the smaller, 40mm length guns to go on the aft cabin deck. I wasn't entirely sure they were the right size when I ordered them, but I was happy to discover that they're more than adequate.

Now, some more pictures:

Still needs a little more work, and I think i'm going to add a hand rail to the forecastle, but apart from that, i'm pretty pleased with it.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 06:20:12 PM »
Looks good. Very good.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
I think you did a great job!

I bought one of those Mega Bloks ships and to be quite honest, the amount of work necessary to convert the darn thing put me totally off it.  I stored the box after opening in the first time.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »

I bought one of those Mega Bloks ships and to be quite honest, the amount of work necessary to convert the darn thing put me totally off it.  I stored the box after opening in the first time.

Ah c'mon...it is only maybe a 10 - 12 hour job....

If you don't want it, I'll give you my mailing address... :D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »
I'm curious, how much do these go for where you live? Every time I've seen them over here, they were at least over 50 euros for even the smallest ones (and could fetch much higher prices even).

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »
Yes... they are quite expensive.

That is why I haven't thrown it out or plan to give it away!   :D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »
Can't blame a guy for trying, can you?

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »

I agree about the amount of work being daunting. When I first opened the box, I wasn't sure i'd ever be able to make it look suitable for wargaming, but with a little perseverance I think all the hours I put into have paid off pretty well.  :)

I'm curious, how much do these go for where you live? Every time I've seen them over here, they were at least over 50 euros for even the smallest ones (and could fetch much higher prices even).

I bought this one for £15 during a sale at Debenhams' department store. The original box price was £40, and I think used that £25 saving on materials and items for the ship - so in the end it's worked out at about £40 - but still a lot less than you'd pay for a ship this size from a wargaming company like Old Glory (don't get me wrong - lovely ships, just not such a lovely price).

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 01:15:08 AM »
Wow this is some great work here. I bought the Black Pearl at discount more than a year ago, but I haven't completed it yet. I began the project and then set it aside due the amount of work evolved.  But your results are so spectacular that I may have to take it up again.

Rob