Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:44:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another Mega Bloks ship conversion  (Read 12915 times)

Offline Astor

• Librarian
Another Mega Bloks ship conversion
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure everyone here already knows how good the Mega Bloks range of pirate ships are for wargames purposes, and I'm pretty sure you're all fed up of seeing these threads pop up now and then too.  ;D

A few months ago I picked up the Black Pearl from a charity shop for a tenner (complete, although the box was beat to hell), but didn't have time to do anything to it until recently. But before I did anything I was determined to do it right, or at least as best I could. So I looked over the other Mega Bloks ship I did last year (which is here), making notes of things that could have been done better, where I'd gone wrong, or areas that just looked a little sloppy. And while I'm still pleased with what I've done to that ship, I want to try and make this one look as realistic as possible (within reason, of course - it's still based around a toy, after all).

Armed with that list, and all the materials necessary (well, nearly - I did have to spend £2.50 on some more plank sheets) I started.

Three days on and I'm pretty pleased so far.

The yard at the rear is taken from the Playmobil Dinghy, although I think I might need to shorten it a little, but apart from a few minute details, and some work on the tops, it's pretty much ready to be painted.

What do you think?

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Another Mega Bloks ship conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »
Lookin' good!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
For all the good work you've done on the deck, is it not worth changing the two main masts? That's the only thing that gives it away being a toy. Maybe get some wooden rod and build a new one?

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
For all the good work you've done on the deck, is it not worth changing the two main masts? That's the only thing that gives it away being a toy. Maybe get some wooden rod and build a new one?

Couldn't agree more. I'd never consider converting one of these, but you've almost convinced me it would work.

Other than the masts, she looks great.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 12:25:57 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

I have to admit I hadn't considered doing that, but on reflection it would match up far better with my other ships (which are all wooden masted), and I could do the same for the other mega bloks ship while I'm at it.

Bah, you've convinced me! Off to order some dowel!

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
I always love seeing these conversions.  I'm hoping MegaBloks gets the license for the next POTC movie so I can finally get my hands on some of these boats.  I won't miss out this time.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »
I always love seeing these conversions.  I'm hoping MegaBloks gets the license for the next POTC movie so I can finally get my hands on some of these boats.  I won't miss out this time.

Unfortunately Lego has managed to get the license this time around.  :-[

Not that Lego is bad, of course, but their ships aren't really suitable for this sort of use.

It's a shame because the Surprise (from Master and Commander) is in this film as a British warship - that would have been awesome in this format.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
Unfortunately Lego has managed to get the license this time around.  :-[

Not that Lego is bad, of course, but their ships aren't really suitable for this sort of use.

It's a shame because the Surprise (from Master and Commander) is in this film as a British warship - that would have been awesome in this format.

Dammit.  That is horrible news. 

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
I started painting the hull and decks yesterday, and this afternoon I sat down with The Black Swan on in the background and began highlighting/detailing.

I'm pleased with it so far, but I've reached a stumbling block and was hoping for some opinions from you fine gentlemen.

This is rather obviously the stern. The decorations and lanterns are certainly going to be gold, but I'm not sure whether I should paint the window frames gold as well. And I'm not sure which colour I should use to paint the roofing(?), either.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  :)

Offline morkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
Maybe paint the window frames, roofing and the bits underneath the windowsills in a dark brown colour to indicate some special precious wood? It would still stand out but look less ostentatious and bring out the gold bits more.

I think it also depends on the crew, I guess. If it's pirates, go for the full gold/copper look. Ship bling.

Offline Gandalf

• Bookworm
    • Middlesbrough Gamers Club
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »
There's a good picture of HMS Victory's stern at http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/Heritage/1797/Victory/index2.html which may useful for you.
Have you seen the rivets on that?

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
That's a cracking looking ship! The gold and black looks good on The Victory. Don't know if it'd work against the rest of you colours though. I think the dark window frames are diffinatly a good option.

Offline Astor

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys - I'd been looking at tons of historic and replica ships for inspiration, and ships like Victory and the Batavia were the ones that stuck out most. So suitably inspired, I started this afternoon and have pretty much finished.

I still need to finish the windows, but I'm really pleased with how it's shaped up.

Only a few more details left to do and I can start work on the masts, and then eventually paint the crew!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
Lovely looking lady of the sea there. Just one thing, too late to the party to do anything now it's painted, but I'd have broken out the Greenstuff and gone over the section gaps that you can see where the pieces of the ship clip together down the sides.

Apart from that, lovely start mate.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline morkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Good stuff. I might copy that shamelessly for my own ship.