Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LOL Games Workshop is bonkers  (Read 27822 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: LOL Games Workshop is bonkers
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
Then don't buy GW miniatures...?  ::)

While LAF has definitely expanded the horizons of my miniature hobby "stuff", if it wasn't for GW a lot of people wouldn't be in the hobby.

Does anyone else offer plastic minotaurs out there? No. The potential for converting (or "correcting" as some would put it) is also there... which no one seems to have pointed out. As well as not even using them for minotaurs at all... I see a lot of potential here.

I get the criticism, and yes some interesting miniatures as alternatives... but it is the cynicism that dissapoints me.

Anyway, carry on.

If you've read any of my other posts on GW-related threads you will hopefully have realised I do buy their stuff. They are not exactly renowned for admitting alternatives exist.

I have far too much of their LOTR range to ever get painted and the Tau are my current favourites for high-tech aliens in my 5150 games.  LOTR has become ridiculousy over-priced and un-affordable for me. WFB is becoming a caricature-fest and I'm not generally a fan of the whole 40K thing. There are better priced alternatives to their superb washes and Vallejo paints are generally better than theirs. If the Tau get a "makeover" that is as bad as that given to the Minotaurs, then it's adios to GW for me.

Yes, they have introduced people to the hobby ( well, the hobby at least) and they have been innovative in many areas but any good they have done is rapidly disappearing in the rear-view mirror due to their "we know what's best for you" attitude.

I maintain the right to criticize any company that tries to sell me stuff, just as I will citicize the police or politicians etc that don't deliver. They do a good job - I praise them. Same for mini companies. There are many who do produce superb figures that people want and listen to customers requests etc..

I don't believe I am cynical in this case - or if I am, then it is cynicism that has been generated by GW and not by any closed-minded mentality of mine. 

As ever, if you like their stuff and have a fat wallet then buy it. If you don't, tell the world and it might force improvements :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »
The people who support GW aren't the "mommy buy it types" but the older crowd with disposable income. I mean, is mommy really going to shell out a couple of thousand dollars for a complete army? Maybe bit by bit, piece by piece over a long while. I know people who spend thousands of dollars a YEAR.

Weird, so weird.

Yes they do! I've been in my local GW, trying to decide if I could really afford three blisters of Morannon Orcs, when I witnessed several parents buying whole armies totalling hundreds of pounds each  :o

Wish I had a good job, or the balls to rob banks  lol lol
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:00:32 AM by Gluteus Maximus »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »
That pig-thing reminded me of the Hogzilla hoax we had in Georgia a couple of years ago:

The only thing that spoils that pic for me is the bloke's gun. Far too small  lol

former user

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:06 AM »
problem is, parents with big wallets have the kind of jobs that doesn't let them spend too much time with their kids, so they try to heal their bad conscience by shelling out these sums for their kids.

what animal is this?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2010, 01:02:53 PM »
If GW went with every fanboy request then it would pandering to the masses, which can be a downfall of a company especially one so big. I mean if they went with every request (of over a certain amount of requestees) then they would eventually be inundated and not able to cope. Then they would have to say 'We're not doing requests anymore' and the populos would be even less happy than it is now.

They have cornered a certain market and will stick with it. There will always be new blood to introduce to their part of the hobby to keep them going and if the new blood moves over to a different side of the hobby then all to the good.

I still buy their products and play their games because I happen to like them. There are cheaper places to buy GW items than the stores or via their website  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
what animal is this?

That is a lesser spotted Sus scrofa photoshoppicus ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »
That is a lesser spotted Sus scrofa photoshoppicus ;)

I do believe tough they are becoming a plague in some parts.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »
I do believe tough they are becoming a plague in some parts.

I've heard they've begun to learn to fly ;)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:38 PM »
Yeah I just got the same message.

AND CHAOS FALLOWS NO MANS RULES!!!!! lol!

Not even Spelling rules!  Yeah! ;)
This is my boomstick!

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »
I tried looking for this or similar items on youtube.  The only thing I found was Hitler complaining to his staff about Chaos Black spraypaint going from Four pounds to Eight.   lol

That doesn't really suprise me, though.  The last time I was in a GW store it seemed to be more of a kiddie corner place.  Too many loud and grabby pre-teens for my taste.

The attitude of GW never surprises me. I once saw an internal video interview, (my wife worked at the production company that filmed it). One of the senior management was talking about the period in the late ninties when they decided that they wanted to "Sack the Veteran gamers from the hobby", because they were becoming a nuisance.

I suspect that same tactic is currently being pushed out again.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »
Not even Spelling rules!  Yeah! ;)

But yet you still understood what I was saying just the same! isn't this language great!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:11:13 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2010, 10:14:44 PM »
Does anyone else offer plastic minotaurs out there? No.

Actually yes.
I have at least two different makes upstairs.

The pre-painted D&D figures are quite good as classic minotaurs, but I also have some hard plastic unpainted ones (probably from an old boardgame like Heroquest but it may be something more recent like Descent)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
Actually yes.
I have at least two different makes upstairs.

The pre-painted D&D figures are quite good as classic minotaurs, but I also have some hard plastic unpainted ones (probably from an old boardgame like Heroquest but it may be something more recent like Descent)
GW also did some for Warhammer Quest. Rather boring minis, but plastic minotaurs none the less.

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »
I am no expert on pigs, by any means, but I did see an interesting show on the tube some time back that pretty much sold me on "Hogzilla" being rather a hoax.

You can pretty much feed a pig until it gets so large it can not move, so it is not unheard of for people to raise pigs to enormous size.  What impressed me about this picture is what I learned about the skull of a wild pig vs. a farm raised pig.  A wild pig/hog/boar will have a low, flattened and broadened skull, with almost no "forehead", where a far raised pig will have a more rounded head, like, well...a domesticated pig on any old farm.

A wild pig could most likely not get as big as Hogzilla, and even if it was able to...look at the skull on that thing!

I suppose I am supposed to include something GW to complete the relevance cycle...I boggle at some of the decisions they are making when they have models sculpted.  I get the whole argument between plastic and metal, and plastic is cheaper and all of that...but some of their plastics look great while others are ridiculous.  I suppose that is why I stopped buying their products years ago.

Ryan

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2010, 02:58:32 AM »
Plastics were moved to with the promise that prices would be lower. Haven't seen that yet...

At any rate, Plastic is only cheaper in the long term. Plastic molds can cost upwards of several thousand dollars each, which is why most of us have stuck with metal and resin where possible. The only reason you're seeing more of this, as far as I can tell, is that 3d printers are now within the realm of affordability, and many folks who own 3d printers feel that the plastic molds are worth the investment.

-Doc