Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:39:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686644
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My F&IW greens - now with added goat 23/02  (Read 6840 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
My F&IW greens - now with added goat 23/02
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:35:33 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Greens: my first Woodland Indians (F&IW)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
For your first attempt I'd say they were pretty good. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
Well,I'd say the face needs some more practice (but I can't do those very well either). There are several face sculpting tutorials floating around.

What tools are you using?

I'm usually using these:
- toothpick
- clay shaper with round tip, kinda like a non too sharp pencil,  for smoothing
- a scalpel-like sculpting tool to cut (hobby knife will do, will leave thinner cuts that aren't always what you want.
- a needle pin, for fine detail

Switching between these for different parts of the sculpt. And work in little steps at the time, not trying to do too much at once or you end up with some misshapen bits or worse, squashed ones.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
Yeah agree with Malamute, pretty good,  I'd say you're well on your way to producing some top notch figures. From what I can see from the pictures the actual handling of the putty is a little rough at the moment but everything else is spot on.

I think you're doing the hard stuff really well, proportions look good, the posing is natural looking, hands are good, faces are getting there, the attention to detail is great.

Looking at the figure you crited yourself, all the "faults" you circled are pretty minor. I'd focus on what you got right. I think at this point they just need an overall clearer definition in the putty but I think that just comes with experience of working with it.  

Molding the guns yourself is a great idea btw.

Here's a quick question. How many stages are you sculpting in, by which I mean how often are you letting the putty cure before carrying on with the next part of a figure?

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
Maybe trying some different sculpting tools will help with the definition on the detail. I sculpt everything with a 3 inch sewing needle. I'm always thinking I should try "proper" sculpting tools when I see other people working with them but never seem to get round to it. I do know you can get really sharp detail with a needle though and by rolling the needle in your fingers I can roll the putty onto the wire frame and get it smooth before putting detail in. Maybe try a needle and see what you think?

white knight mentioned a needle and a clay shaper.  I only saw a clay shaper recently and they look super useful. Also you can uses a wet paintbrush to smooth the top layer of putty... good of creases in clothes once you've roughed them in.

sometimes I do have to carve back and start an area again.
Yup me too this is part of the process :) I know a professional sculpter that does huge amounts of carving and dremelling also.

Do you use a lamp to speed up the curing BTW?

Those goats look really nice BTW. Like the other figures they have good proportion and pose.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
I'm no figure sculpter, so you'll have to seek critical advice from some of the more talented, but I like them a lot!

Very good work. "No flared nostril"?  I would have missed that.   :D

How about buildings?  You need a rustic cabin and shack!  Maybe an indian or trapper's "fort",  breastwork/redoubt thingy? ;)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
I will be giving the needle a go, and I'm particulalrly intrigued that you roll the putty with it.  I hadn't heard of that technique before and it will be interesting to see how it compares to pushing with a flat end (at first thought I suspect that it will alllow more control and less displacement, is this right?). 

Yes, I do this too sometimes (but with the toothpick). put a blob of putty in the right spot, roughly smooth it out with the clayshaper and then gently roll over it with the toothpick. This is also good for putty build-ups where you don't want to put too much pressure on them so as not to push them out of shape.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
Are you using pure Kneadite, Green stuff?That material has a fairly high elasticity which means it will 'bounce back' when you push it. In practical terms this means that it is harder to sculpt sharp edges and small detail with it. You could try using Brown Stuff , which has higher plasticity, or some similar putty, or a mixture of Green and Brown stuff.

if you don't get what I mean, check Wikipedia for the definitions of plasticity, viscosity and elasticity.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
eBob is expensive, go to antenocitis workshop or sylmasta.

Only real criticism is that you need to keep your tools wet, don't be scared to use your saliva. It is not very toxic at all really, most sculptors I have met do this.

Also, look at as many guides as you can. I found Musketeer Miniature's one very useful.

Eyes are the hardest part to pick up, and I think it is where you need to work on.
I'd say my sculpting at the moment is 50% luck, so with that in mind it usually takes 1 to 3 times to get something 'right'.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: Greens: my first Woodland Indians (F&IW) - NEW IMAGES 28/01
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
Good work mate, keep it up.

Using the oven? Explain?

I usually do a little sculpting and then leave it 4 hours.

However, I use tin bits on mine as well (provided by Alternative Armies) which I guess might melt.
I dunno if it makes the sculpts weaker either. Which is important when considering casting.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Re: My F&IW greens - now with added goat 23/02
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »
Nice goats! Really nice sculpts keep up the good work. :D

Greets,
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
Love the goats - where can I get some?  ;)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:12 PM »
...I have now finished the goats, 5 does and one ram (buck?)...

Apparently, the preferred terms these days are buck and doe.  For us uncultured sorts, though, billy and nanny are still common.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »
Nanny goats were dubbed so when midwives gave their milk to feed Victorian aristocrats' babies, and had to feed goats milk to their own kids (no pun intended). Or so I've discovered...

Anyway, those goat sculpts are awesome!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Excellent stuff, the goats are great and the young boy look sgood. Keep going you are getting better and better :)