Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:20:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Original Star Trek Officers and Redshirts  (Read 9028 times)

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
Original Star Trek Officers and Redshirts
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
Finally got around to painting some TOS Trek.

Kirk and Spock from Matakishi.  McCoy is a modified MegaMiniatures "Starship crew" figure:

More Starship Crew from Mega Minis:

These are really very nice figures, sharp sculpts and a joy to paint.  I wish they'd produced more poses.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: Original Star Trek Officers and Redshirts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
to repeat myself from Frothers... McCoy is absolutely tops, lovely tights, should have done something with Kirk and Spock's shoulders...  :D

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
The Mega minatures figures don't look half bad!  It can be hit or miss with some of their sculpts, but you certainly can't beat the price!   lol
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »

:o

Brilliant  :-*

You nailed Bones alright.  Uhura is great too.

I have had my TOS figures (both Megaminis and Matakishi) primed and ready to go since before Xmas, but havent got around to painting them yet.  I was planning a pretty quick and simple paint job, but now nobody will like that, seeing as yours are so awesome.  Boo ;)

Fantastic painting, nice one.

Do you have any more TOS stuff in the pipeline?  Some aliens maybe?

I have some of the Ridged Rim (Klingons) primed and ready too (even though they are TNG really, but I dont want the 60s Cold War Klingons that much anyway), but I havent seen any other suitable figures for other species. 

Does you know of any more?

The Mega minatures figures don't look half bad!  It can be hit or miss with some of their sculpts, but you certainly can't beat the price!   lol

Like you said, MegaMinis are hit and miss, but they have lots of stuff that is quite good, and for a low price too.

should have done something with Kirk and Spock's shoulders...  :D

I tend to be pretty rubbish when using Green Stuff, so I used superglue gel to try and get the Matakishi figs shoulders a little less action figure-y.  I am unsure as to how well it has worked as yet.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »
Looking at these, I see a new HOTT army appearing...........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
Looking at these, I see a new HOTT army appearing...........

I thought that HotT was 10 or 15mm fantasy.  I didnt think that people used it for sci-fi in 28mm.

My plan is to use my Trek figures in Space Hulk actually, as well as in the usual skirmish wargames (Ganesha stuff, Rattrap stuff etc).

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »
No, HOTT can be 25mm as well, the base sizes are in the rules. As for armies there is no limit to the background, History, Fantasy, TV, Sci-Fi, novels.  I recently so photos of a beach voleyball team.  The Rulebook and Stronghold site have a huge number of armies.  I used my Chaos army for the first time on Monday and, catching the bug, am looking for a variety of armies.  My Heroclix are up for the first conversion,  Superman as my aerial hero, Batman as a Paladin, The Hulk as a Behemoth, etc.  As this is an occasional game, I am not so worried about the original painting quality, I just need to rebase them.

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
The Rulebook and Stronghold site have a huge number of armies.

link please? My google-fu is weak today..

marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
http://www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/strong.htm

A good number of example armies, from various genre, are in the rulebook itself.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5369/hordes-of-the-things

I recently so photos of a beach voleyball team.
Guilty as charged....  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16174.0
Baywatch Army:

I have both 15mm and 28mm armies, although 15s are generally more popular.
I have 28mm Barbarians (nearly 4 Hott armies worth), Aliens & Colonial Marines etc
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Do you have any more TOS stuff in the pipeline?  Some aliens maybe?

I have some of the Ridged Rim (Klingons) primed and ready too (even though they are TNG really, but I dont want the 60s Cold War Klingons that much anyway), but I havent seen any other suitable figures for other species. 

Does you know of any more?

No, there's not much out there currently beyond the Gary Mitchell Rim Aliens.  At some point I'll probably get a set of those to match up with these guys.  I may try some simple conversions on the Megaminis to give some more variety.

A long time ago, Citadel had a line of minis based on Star Trek: TMP that included some Klingon poses, plus assorted aliens.   They may be similar in size, but I haven't seen them in person.

Matakishi also made a comment at one point that he might commission some other Trek figures, but my impression was that was not a certainty.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
No, there's not much out there currently beyond the Gary Mitchell Rim Aliens. 

Boo.

Its odd isnt it?  Star Trek is probably the second biggest geek franchise out there (after Star Wars) and suitable Trek miniatures are really thin on the ground.

At some point I'll probably get a set of those to match up with these guys.  I may try some simple conversions on the Megaminis to give some more variety.

I did some head swaps and some other minor bits and pieces with the Matakishi stuff and the MegaMinis guys, with mixed results.  It was mostly to give increased variety, as you mentioned.

I really must get around to painting them up soon.  Maybe in the summer.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »

Guilty as charged....  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16174.0
Baywatch Army:

How much green stuff did it take to model a convincing Pammy Anderson?

lol lol

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
Its odd isnt it?  Star Trek is probably the second biggest geek franchise out there (after Star Wars) and suitable Trek miniatures are really thin on the ground.

I much prefer TOS to TNG, but I'd really love to have a 28mm Worf. The later Klingons are much better than the originals, even though they would be far easier to convert  :)

I agree though, I really wish there were more Star Trek (and B5) figures/look-alikes available  :(

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 10:20:07 AM »
I much prefer TOS to TNG, but I'd really love to have a 28mm Worf. The later Klingons are much better than the originals, even though they would be far easier to convert  :)

I would also be very happy to have a 28mm TNG Worf.  I would also be quite happy to have him hang around in my games with my TOS guys: its not like rampant time travel ever seemed to unduly worry the Federation.  Worf could be on work experience in the past or something and the bigoted humans would just have to suck it up  lol

Victory Force make some not-TNG figures including some aliens but surprisingly, no Klingon inspired one. 

While I am aware that TNG is cheesy, PC and formulaic, it was the new Trek while I was in my teens.  As a result I will always have a soft spot for it, even if I like it for different reasons to why I enjoy the equally God-awful-but-for-different-reasons TOS.  At their best they are both good, but mostly they are turgid, self important tripe.  Turgid self-important tripe that I thoroughly enjoy you understand, but tripe nonetheless.

I agree though, I really wish there were more Star Trek (and B5) figures/look-alikes available  :(

It would be fun to be able to get 3-5 of each of the recognisable races.  Even rubbish races like Ferengi.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
Lovely job on those, Cosmotiger! Most impressive.

I quite like the not-Romulans from Gary Mitchell. Doesn't GZG do a trekkie uniformed type in their 25mm Street Level range? A mickey-take of conventioneer stereotypes I believe… I know they do a not-Seven-Of-Nine.

Some of the old 25mm Traveller adventurers from Grenadier were designs from ST:The Motion Picture. Used to have a few. Not too easy to find these days, but very nice sculpts.

EDIT: The Traveller adventurers were based on later movie era uniforms - the maroon jacket look - and not the Motion Picture uniforms. Oops.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:13:04 AM by Earther »