Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Massed Battle on Atlantis  (Read 15590 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Massed Battle on Atlantis
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
Is that Dewies's Spider thing I can see hiding behind the hut?

It is indeed (the original though, not the one I made the effort to build and paint for the game  ::)) I was helping out with the native hoard however and Curtis was using my figures.

The final victors of this game are the natives though. The final guardian kicked a Sanwar pirate from the precipice of the temple with a cry of "THIS IS ATLANTIS!!!" and the other pirates were struck down at the awesomeness of the event, leaving him the only man standing atop the holy building at the end of the game.*

*The british cannon shell landing atop the temple, just after he killed a Sanwar, with the Atlantean being the only one to make his save is purely coincidental.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »

The foundrys around Osaka Bay are even now working on new contraptions to foil  the Western Imperialists adavance into Atlantis.  >:D

Mors

:o :o
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
Excellent Stuff!!!!  :o :-* :o

A real pleasure to see so many nice "Toys" on one table!

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
Im a little bit suprised how many censored photographs of the unit in question are, they were not on the table for very long , they even lasted less time than the B.R.A.S , one of the few Japanese plus points on a very sobering day. :'(

They did suffer from the famous "Freshly painted unit Curse" but they will return and hopefully in the next game may actually fire their guns :o

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Hope nobody minds but this is the full battle report (from the British side anyway)
The small British force advanced to meet the armoured might of the Japanese empire. On the extreme flank the crack Blackwatch regiment were nearly wiped out by extremely heavy fire from the three Jap (light?) steam tanks. Only Lt Peter Ness and Piper Millin survived this heavy barrage and had to carry out a tactical retreat out of the line of fire of the tanks. The detachment commander Major Duncan MacThegrassgrow was also caught up in the barrage but being hard as nails, survived with just a slight singe to his moustache.
The BRAS decided to launch a charge at the tanks using their explosive lances. But even with the great courage shown attacking these metal monsters only a single trooper managed to land a hit. But the explosive head detonated prematurely killing the unfortunate trooper but also failing to damage the tank. It is believed that some of the components of the lance were of Japanese manufacture and are meant for suicide troops not stalwart British Lancers. It is not clear whither these lances will be issued to the troops in future.
The British steam tank on this flank put up a poor show at the beginning and was unable to damage the fast moving Jap tanks.
This left the British left flank dangerously exposed.
Moving forward on his own Major MacThegrassgrow ordered the Mammaries to try a plug the gap. In quick succession the Mammaries pilot managed to disable two of the tanks in close combat using his screw.
Meanwhile on the right flank the naval brigade detachment on that flank was swamped by hordes of Atlantians.

Both the naval infantry and the Gatling gun crew fought to the last man but were finally overrun. Only the brave stand of the force commander Admiral Muff-diver prevented the enemy from attacking the centre of the British forces from the rear.
The centre of the British force lead by Mr Alan Quatermain steadily advanced towards the temple fighting off both attacks from more Atlantians and the centre units of the Japanese.

These Japanese were supported by a powerful Lowen steam walker and a steam tank that seemed to spend a lot of time lost in the long grass.

The Press corps brought up the rear of the formation clicking away on their cameras and frightening the locals with their flashes.
Back on the left flank the brave Major was assaulted by a whole platoon of Japanese.

He managed to hold his own against the lot of them. Lt Commander Dan D Lyons rushed to help him but for all his bravery was savagely cut down. Upon seeing their commander cut down the naval detachment on this flank charged the Japanese and wiped them out in a single furious attack.

Revenge is sweet.
During his attack against the tanks the Mammaries pilot was doing the honourable thing and allowing the crew members to bail out their wrecked vehicles. This gentlemanly conduct was a mistake because the unthankful commander of one of the tanks, attacked the Mammaries with his tempered steel samurai sword and manage to put the Mammaries Gatling gun out of commission. The Mammaries then spent a couple of rounds trying to squash this sneaky fellow and in the end had to rely on Major MacThegrassgrow running over and head-butting the sneak, allowing the Mammaries to charge off and finish the last steam tank.
In the centre there was some serious fighting around the temple. Mr Quatermain was thrown out of his steam strider right into the path of a regiment of Atlantians who tried to turn the hero into a pin cushion. But the resilient hero shrugged off their attacks to fight his way to the top of the temple. The naval brigade unit with him was almost wiped out by fire from the Atlantians, the Japanese and the pirates but not before they managed to down the Atlantians Automaton. The British in the centre also had to put up with the annoying futile attacks by the Jap steam tank trying to ram everything in sight, due to damage to his gun.

The Jap walker in the middle of the table also had a damaged gun and between that and breakdown was pretty ineffectual.

As the game was drawing to a close there was a rumour that Mr Quatermain put killed by some pirate Automatons but this has yet to be substantiated.

The last round consisted of mopping up the last of the Japanese force.
But also the British steam tank redeemed its reputation with a beautiful long range shot from its medium gun which managed to clear the top of the pyramid of a load of pirates, who had managed to sneak to the top. Only a single temple guard was left standing all alone at the top to face off against the remaining might of the British empire.
All in all it was great fun. Well worth the long trip down. There was some lovely eye candy on show, a lot of people with some great imaginations.
Thanks to the people who arranged the game.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
I can recall the wallpaper.
Beautiful pictures and a nice report. Wished I could have watched you guys play while drinking an English beer.
Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »
First Picture, on the left might that be you gamer Mac?
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
First Picture, on the left might that be you gamer Mac?

No - it's Dewbakuk.  ;)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
Alright, might you dilvulge the names of the other 2 gamers pictured?  Nice to have a face with a name!

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:16 PM »
Great stuff chaps! Sorry I couldn't be there. Even more gutted now I've seen the pics.  :'(
Don't!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »
Hope nobody minds but this is the full battle report (from the British side anyway)...

I really don't mind! I think it's awesome - great report of what looks like a fantastic day. Obviously, I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it!

... Only the brave stand of the force commander Admiral Muff-diver ...

I think his name's actually Admiral Lord Ivor Mough-D'Ivor  ;)

...prevented the enemy from attacking the centre of the British forces from the rear.
The centre of the British force lead by Mr Alan Quatermain steadily advanced towards the temple
 a steam tank that seemed to spend a lot of time lost in the long grass...

lol

... on the left flank the brave Major (McThegrassgrow) was assaulted by a whole platoon of Japanese. He managed to hold his own against the lot of them. Lt Commander Dan D Lyons rushed to help him but for all his bravery was savagely cut down. Upon seeing their commander cut down the naval detachment on this flank charged the Japanese and wiped them out in a single furious attack...
In the centre there was some serious fighting around the temple. Mr Quatermain was thrown out of his steam strider right into the path of a regiment of Atlantians who tried to turn the hero into a pin cushion. But the resilient hero shrugged off their attacks to fight his way to the top of the temple...

As the game was drawing to a close there was a rumour that Mr Quatermain put killed by some pirate Automatons but this has yet to be substantiated...

The last round consisted of mopping up the last of the Japanese force... Only a single temple guard was left standing all alone at the top to face off against the remaining might of the British empire....

Excellent stuff. I've posted sume rules and suggestion for what to do when heroes 'die', units get wiped out, and so on. They're over on page 11 of the Atlantis campaign thread (linky).

Taking the above examples; it seems the British were in command of the field at the end, Mr Quatermain seems to have 'died' in less than clear circumstances, but Lt Commander Lyons was undoubtedly performing an heroic action when... incapacitated. Both these heroes need to roll a d6, to find out when they can be back in action. Mr Quatermain's modifier is still to be determined, but Lt Commander Lyons should probably have a +1 modifier. Tough work, being a hero...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »

I can recall the wallpaper.

No one forgets that wallpaper in a hurry  ;)

Very nice reports Colin, and looks like you all had a lot of fun.  :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »
Taking the above examples; it seems the British were in command of the field at the end.....
I really like the impression you have got of the final result. propaganda works :D
The other players of the game, apart from the Japanese :D, may have something to say about who was in command of the field  ;)
Alright, might you dilvulge the names of the other 2 gamers pictured?  Nice to have a face with a name!
I am not in any of my photos but there were a few other cameras about so my uggly mug may turn up yet.
I think the other people in the picture are
Ramshackle Curtis
Bullshott
Lowtardog
a long side dewbakuk
Other people present at the game were Malamute, Mors, Overlord and Dr De'Ath. (Did I miss anyone? my memory is going, getting old)
Jimbibbly also made a short appearance to drop off some much needed support for the British, in the shape of the wheeled transport shown in the photos above.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2010, 11:51:13 PM »
More photos.  Sorry no report to go with them at the moment as I'm pushed for time and wont be around for a few days.
Just wanted to get the photos up now.

Atlanteans surge from the pyramid to meet the invaders.

Atlantis must be defended at all costs.

An American steam spider (Dewbakuk Industries)

Aeronef 'Rio Grande' steams forward

Kodishan Pirates prepare to move

Atlanteans about to be cut down by American firepower.

Sanwar steam Scorpion advances under withering American fire unscathed.

Pirates closing with the Atlanteans

Sanwar commander Shen Khar takes up a vantage point for the coming battle

Pirates and Sanwar continue their advance toward the pyramid

The Sanwar Electrical Gun destroys an American walker.

Pirate walkers advancing

As Shen Khar looks on, one steam Scorpion burns, as another wreaks revenge.  Dispatching one American commander then the driver of a steam tank.  Sending it hurtling back towards it own troops before the commander regains control.

British and Pirate walkers reach the base of the pyramid

RNLS Matilda advances steadily. "I say, who's that foreign looking chap with the large pocket knife"

The British realise their failure to stipulate a handbrake in the procurement process with Sir James Bibbly, engineer extraordinaire, by appointment to Her Majesty (Gawd bless 'er)

Too late the Rio Grande restarts its engines.

A thoroughly enjoyable first VSF game for me.  It wont be my last.  8)
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »
Great pictures Paul
It is nice to see what was going on at the other end of the table :)