Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atlantis: Battle for New Atlanta (Pic heavy!)  (Read 7123 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Atlantis: Battle for New Atlanta (Pic heavy!)
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:22:26 PM »
The Battle of New Atlanta
Rules – GASLIGHT
Players –   CSA -> v_lazy_dragon (Reporting in a very biased manner)
-   Prussians -> whiskyrat
-   ‘Mad science’ Allies -> My mate Lachlan… (Don’t think he’s on this forum, but he is in the first photo)
Objectives: Control the 3 permanent town buildings (territory win) & the Agent (alive or dead)

After liberating a map to a previously unknown etherium deposit from the Federals, a CSA scout Nef headed for home via a rather circituitous route over the Atlantic – where they mad a strange discovery: a previously unknown and unclaimed land. The observation was duly reported to their superiors. Further investigation revealed a whole continent, previously unknown to man. Many in the confederacy saw this new land as an opportunity to establish a homeland safe from northern aggression. So the confederates announced their discovery, to which most of the world simply passed by without noticing or caring, and began to establish settlements in their new land.

New Atlanta was one such town, situated in a large cove which made a natural harbour. But these developments had not gone unnoticed. In Germany, the progress of the Confederates had not been missed, and when they learned that one of the agents responsible for the etherium map retrieval and decoding was resident in a perfect beach-head on the new continent, the vast Germany war machine began to pick up speed. And so it came to be, that one morning in early March – almost 6 weeks since New Atlanta was founded – war came to the sleepy frontier town. And in the spirit of ’61, all true southern men flocked to it’s defence; be they soldiers, pioneers, farmers or hunters.
The table was set-up as shown in the following pictures:

A close-up view of the aeronef tesalonic-fuelling depot:

And a shot of its defenders:

The town of new Atlanta – including the 3 builds which have been constructed, the start of the tented pioneers encampment & the road to the heartland. The road is occupied by a confederate ‘Lafayette’ naval assault gun.

The CSA Missouri, as well as the light land-ironclad ‘Rose of Texas’ and the Richmond armoured steam carriage ‘Southern Belle’ accompany the militia-cavalry as they deploy across the plain.

On the far left flank of the Confederate lines, the rumblings of war have disquieted some of the indigenous Atlanteans, and some of the Sanwar that settled their centuries before.

Meanwhile, the Imperial German Warmachine begins its ponderous assault on human freedoms:

The Confederate Agent, who still carries a copy of the Etherium map in his pocketbook (a by-product of his time breaking the code)

Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Atlantis: Battle for New Atlanta (Pic heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
Turn 1
Some of the German units disembark, and both sides advance, and the exchange of long range shots begins across the lines. Little damage is done by the few small defensive guns that the confederacy had previously emplaced – despite the heroic efforts of gunners. The heavier artillery also put in a poor showing.

The forces of the Kaiser did somewhat better, knocking out the Southern Belle before she could fire a shot, and already inflicting infantry casualties.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »
Turn 2 saw the German advance continue, as did the confederates attempts to form a solid defensive position. There efforts were somewhat hampered by the CSA Missouri loosing power to her rotors, and the flamer armed walker on the left encouraging the militia to take cover behind the Aeronef refuelling point. Once again, the Confederate artillery that wasn’t reloading did little but chip the paint on the odd vehicle and encourage bouts of hearty Teutonic laughter. The Atlanteans were observed in the Woodlands on the left of the confederate line, but their allegiance and temperament were not yet know. Confederate casualties continue to mount for little cost to the Germans. The breech loading rifles that made up the mainstay of both the Milita & Regular armies weaponry being totally outclassed by the German Mauser Bolt Actions.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
Turn 3
Inspired by the large mechanical spider that had started to rip its way into the bridge, the stokers manage to get the Missouri’s engines fired up, and it one again takes to the air. The compliment of marines it had been carrying had their morale well and truly broken and refused to attempt to assault the stem-spider; despite carrying satchel charges and being trained for just such a role.
The German armoured steam-rollers attempt to ram the Yellow Rose the pervious turn wa smet with contempt, as the Rose deftly evade the cumbersome vehicle, and proceeded to line up its gun on the softly armour rear of the vehicle…

The Lafayette begins to exchange shells with the Spider shaped Leviathan that lurked on the right hand headland of the bay – but to no avail.

On the left, the Atlanteans were still not clearly demonstrating their alligance, whilst the first Confederate squad was decimated by raking fire from the Highly disciplined germans.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
Turn 4 sees the German advance gain momentum as the Yellow Rose is destroyed, the Assay office is blown to pieces by shelling from the German ironclad anchored off the coast and the Confederate casualties continue to mount. However, it’s not all bad news for the southerners – the Missouri succeeds in ramming the Spider leviathan, and they start to inflict casualties on the aggressors. Still very little luck in eliminating the hostile steamtech though.

Confident of their victory, the Germans open fire on the Atlanteans, wiping out the Sanwar and enraging the natives.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:37 PM »
Turn 5 sees the Missouri & steam leviathan still locked together, whilst the confident Germans press forward their advance. The closer range plays into the confederate’s hands somewhat and they start dishing out significant numbers casualties.
Enraged by the unprovoked attack, the Atlantean’s and their trained Grabboid eliminate the German colonial unit.
A lucky fluke of a shot from a German artillery clank pins the Agent to the ground with a 7 foot metal spike.
A shot from the Spider Leviathan silences the Lafayette’s gun.

And with that, the battle was lost. The Confederates retreated, in fairly good order – the Atlantean’s leading them to safety in the hills. Of the 200 or so (140 infantry, 10 cavalry, 16 gun crew, assorted vehicle crew) brave warriors of the south that took to the field to defend their fledgling tow, less than a third were left alive and unbroken. Their aged weapons and lack of steamtech showed a critical weakness, but even if this had been compensated for, the gods of War (and Dice!) had not smiled upon them.

The Germans stood triumphant before a gateway to the new land, the certainty of their victory assured & with no doubts that future battles will be un-nessecary:

… or will they?:

Summary:
That was a rather brief, tongue in cheek, take on the battle – my army suffered somewhat from a lack of steam tech & mixed weapons in units. Whilst units with a variety of pistols, shotguns & rifles are characterful – they certainly don’t let me put down much concerted fire! I also had some pretty lame dicerolls for shooting, and though I scored a fair number of hits I practically never penetrated.
Still, a thoroughly good game with excellent other players! Hopefully there will be more games to come in this campaign thread!

[It was also rather gratifying to have various people from the gaming club coming in to drool over the sheer size of the table (which stretched literally from wall to wall) and the sizes of the forces used. Figures/etc were a mix of our 3 collections.]

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:21 PM »
BRILLIANT.

Looks absoloutely mad and really, very fun!

I am intrigued mostly by the mosquito type riders? I would love to get hold of some for an Atlantean force. Could you recommend where to get them from and what they are? They look perfect!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »
 :o

Well, when you said 'pic heavy', you weren't lying. Blimey. Dashed good show old bean!
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
That's what I like to see - big GASLIGHT battles wit lots of interesting toys (must get my Ramshackle walker out again soon for a game). Of course the real bonus is that the Rebs got a hammiring. Long live the Union!
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »
Thanks chaps!

It really was an epic game, and yes I did take a LOT of pictures. There should be more to come from Whiskyrat (Neil).
As regards the dragonfly riders, they were Neils models - mageknight figures of some sort (but the exact name eludes me).

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
Any chance you could get him to shed light on the name? I'm really very interested!  :D

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:44 PM »
I'm really very interested!

How interested?  PM me.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
Wow, great report. Not read it all yet! Something to look forward to tomorrow

Cheers Mors

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »
Rob - they are MageKnight Soaring Gunners. I had been looking for an excuse to field them ....  ::)

Stirling Moose - if you have 4 which need a good home?  :D

The Prussians will post their battle report tomorrow - today real-life got in the way.

Of course the real bonus is that the Rebs got a hammiring. Long live the Union!

Fortunately the CSA had forgotten to make the usual sacrifice to the dice gods that morning.  ;)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
The South WILL rise again. Excellent battle report.