Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686452
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CinC warband advancement  (Read 2088 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
CinC warband advancement
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »
We've been playing some Chaos in Carpathia lately, and in a couple of weeks, we should be ready to start our actual campaign game.  Before we do, however, I would like to bounce a few ideas around with regards to warband advancement.

When our group played Legends of the Old West last year, we had a ball playing the actual game, but one of the problems was the vast gap in the power levels of the developing posses.  In short, those who had the opportunity to play more often (Marc and I in this example) quickly out-matched the others.  With this lesson in mind, here's what I was thinking:

1. Because CinC characters all start off with a fairly effective mix of attributes and skills, I was thinking of changing the advancement requirement from 5xp to 10xp.  This way, players would be a little more excited about advancements (being rarer and all), and more importantly, those who play less frequently wouldn't be at a a noticeable (and discouraging) disavantage.

2. Is there a limit on the number of silver weapons that a warband can have?  I ask, because it seems to be a fairly potent item.  I'm not suggesting that it's too potent, but after 5 or 6 games, it seems that every member of a human warband would have a silver weapon, and that seems like it would be a little unbalancing.  Or am I missing something in "the big picture.?"  Again, this is based on a lesson from LOTOW, were supposedly rare items turned out to be not so rare in the long run.  But again, the opinions of those with far more game and campaign experience would go a long way here.

3. Is there a limit on the number of models (heroes) in a warband?  If it's in the rules (likely in front of my face), please point it out to me.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  In the meantime, I can only say, we are having an absolute ball.

JET

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
Re: CinC warband advancement
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
I've never tried the advancement rules in a serious long term campaign so can't say if they work or not. From what I've tried they are much slower then the Legends/ Mordheim etc systems. I don't see them as a necessary campaign feature though as the CiC characters are already pretty well detailed and there's not as much room for development as in Legends. It's more a small bonus. It can of course still make a difference and a Vit 5 Vampire is certainly no fun to meet. The characters I use in my homebrown additions are already pretty maximised for the tasks also so I wouldn't consider a good idea to let them raise further.

A system allowing some warband development but with less impact is the following:
-Each player creates a warband as per the rules. The warband is set an can't be changed throughout the campaing.
-Players can change weapons an equipment during the campaign, you just need to stick to the characters. You can also buy new equipment as long as you don't exceed the points value of the warband. Silver weapons can change to your choice but you have to stick to the limit. (Use 3 swords one day and three rifles the next and so on).
-Players have to stick to their original henchmen group can change it's numbers from game to game. This allows you to finx the GBP spend if you change equipment.
-A player who wins 1 game (or 2, depending on how much advancement you want) can add an additional character to the warband but he has to stick the character limitations (no more than 2 slayers etc). You can't change a leader. This characters can act as an exchange character for future games but the warband has still stick to it's allowed GBP value.

Sample: A human warband starts the campaign with a Proffesor. He's most useful for solving scenario objectives. After 2 wins the unit can get a further character and goes for a priest. For future games the player can exchange the professor (or any other character) for the priest model. This gives him a slight edge over other warbands because he can use a priest to fight vampires and if he fights werewolves he can use the proffesor instead as the special abilities of the priest are useless against the wolves anyway.

You can  run the campaign in a way that every player has to play every available scenario at least once (or twice).
As for campaign results we count victories as well as killed masters of evil and captured female victims. This gives some interesting variations because if you see that it's hard to win a scenario you can skip the objectives and concentrate on killing the master vampire. Scenario lost but a nice trophy gained. Both players happy.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Re: CinC warband advancement
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »
Silver weapons can change to your choice but you have to stick to the limit

So the limits in the warband lists for silver, holy water, wolfsbane, etc... are campaign limits as well? I assumed it must be, or else, I could see a band of hunters wantering around with 15 silver weapons and 4 holy water each - it wouldn't seem very sporting for the monsters.

I think we'll stick with the rare item limitations and probably try the 1 advance per 10 xp route.

Thanks for all of the input though.  I will definitely run it past the guys.

J