Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:57:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 624
Total: 627

Recent

Author Topic: Dreams In The Witch House...  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Dreams In The Witch House...
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
Working up a 'Witch' for use in Strange Aeons and it occurs to me a new spell table would be nice...any spells you would like to see? Gotta make at least 6...so, any help would be appreciated! Trying to keep it in the vein of the story...

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Re: Dreams In The Witch House...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
Nice...I love traditional stuff like witches...
I'll give it a shot....

At least one Effegy type spell (i.e. voodoo doll) sticking a pin in a voodoo doll representing a  character.  Maybe this spell only works on major characters whether in sight or not but doesn't work on supporting Threshold figures as they wern't important enough for the witch to make an effegy of them.  I've noticed a lot of witch models (Reaper, and Wyrd) are sporting voodoo dolls on their character.

Maybe a Summon or Animate type spell... Zombies, SwampCreature, Scarecrows Puppets or Dolls.

Maybe a Darkness Type Spell which causes a darkness game effect...sight limitation...this would help her hide and use her Effegy Spell to hurt the Threshold Character's main character.

Off the subject..
I'm gonna keep requesting some Killer Dolls, Puppets and a animated scarecrow (the non-cartoon type).  I just received my Puppetmaster figure from Black Army Miniatures and am slowly building my own army of killer dolls.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:12:24 AM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 04:28:13 AM »
The Witch will have a Familiar (possibly more than one...) so, evil puppets would work well for those. Also, like the Darkness idea...

On a side note, I really want the Strange Aeons model to look like the old broad from Roman Polanski's Macbeth... :P... :-X

... :-I

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:18:08 AM »
Conjuring up a smoke screen, or swarm of insects, bats, vermin of some kind. An illussionary fire wall. Or an illussion to distract the agents, beasts or undead or some kind of monster.
I'm gonna keep requesting some Killer Dolls, Puppets and a animated scarecrow (the non-cartoon type).
I belieave that West Wind from Old Glory has a few scarecrows in their gothic horror line.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline PushStudios

• Assistant
    • Push the Red Button Studios
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:55 AM »
Unviewable Angles;
All Human Models (except the caster) within 10" of the caster must take a Resolve check at at a -1 Modifier to their roll.

Karmic Inversion;
Choose a Model within 8", each player rolls a dice, if the caster rolls higher targeted model loses D2 Wounds and the caster regains that many (to their maximum).

Since the story focused significantly on planar travel to different places and possibly times I think this should be a strong element of the spells so...

Sundered from Time;
Choose a Model within 18", it is lost in time and cannot take actions or be targeted (Shooting, Charge, Spells etc) until the beginning of the casters next turn. If the Resolve check to cast this spell is failed then the effect is suffered by the caster.

Witch Hands;
If this spell is successfully cast then for the duration of the game whenever the caster wins combat in lieu of causing a Wound the enemy model can be removed from the table and re-placed (by the caster) in any legal area on the board that is not in base-to-base contact with another model. The enemy Model must take a Resolve check as the disorientation of being violently wrenched through space messes with their head.

That's all I got for now...

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »
I completely forgot the familairs ....  you'd have to have an rat-thing, cat or tiny beastie ...There are a ton of familairs out there by Reaper alone.

hey...witches are deceptive too.  I was reminded of Stuart Gordon's Witch House version & Snow-White.  Maybe some illusion magic that makes her appear to be an innocent, beautiful, or helpless maiden/lady who the Threshold Characters cannot attack.

Fair Beauty As long as not in line of sight to any friendly models, the witch may spend an action to transform into a beautiful, fair, and helpless female.  While in this form, the witch may not be targeted or attacked by Threshold models and can move among them freelyInsert what roll or method to overcome this effect the Witch may at any time on her turn attack Threshold models normally but doing so cancels this spell effect for the remainder of the game.  not certain if casting spells should cancel the illusionary appearance as well.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:23:17 PM by gauntman »

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »
rules for a rat familiar a la brown jenkin are a must.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
@Mike: Bravo! A stroke of genius! I'm up for a Charles Dexter Ward / Joseph Curwen Wizard too!
@PushStudios: you have the Goody Fowler / Dreams in the Witch House themed well covered.  :-* The whole travel through space & time thing is the key.

Sundered from Time is sweet, but 18" might be a bit of a brutal reach; Goody was up close and personal with her mayhem.

I was thinking that a Goody themed Witch should have the ability to teleport as an action using the same (or similar) pentacles used for summoning Scrawny Ones. A spell similar to your Witch Hands (excellent name!) would allow the Witch to send a model 'through time & space' to any one of those pentacles. A Resolve check to follow sounds sensibly evil and suits the story theme well, but could result in some nasty kills with Brown Jenkin waiting on the other end to charge a catatonic traveller.

Lastly, what sort of spell would evoke the whole "sign the book!" thing she was on about?
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
Neat idea Mr. Peabody I really like the idea of incorporating Teleporation and the Pentacles.  Perfect for a witch who can travel through odd angles of space and time. >:D

I would also love to see a magical Necromancer too in the vein of Joseph Curwen, magically creating abominations and undead.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:10:33 PM by gauntman »

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »
I think rules for these would be a good idea Voodoo Priests and Priestesses, as Voodoo is a very real subject, and there would not be much between them and a witch as both use curses, plus it would give the zombies a other master.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
This spell is not the Resurrection spell, but maybe it suggests Curwen's ability to influence the dead.

TR

Offline PushStudios

• Assistant
    • Push the Red Button Studios
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
I agree that 18" is a bit brutal for Sundered from Time but you can only use each Spell once per game so... dunno. 12" sounds good too.

I don't like all the suggestions for Familiar spells because I think they are missing the point. In the story Brown Jenkin is always around. It shouldn't be a Spell to summon him, he should come automatically. I see the Familiar working more like this;

Witch (10BP)
M 5 / Dex 5+ / C6 / A2 / W2 / Res3+
Human.

Skills:
Familiar.
A Witch is not a Witch without her dastardly, insidious, horrible Familiar. You must choose one (and only one) Familiar from the following list for the listed additional BP.
Brown Jenkin (+3BP)
M 6 / Dex 5+ / C4 / A2 / W1 / Res4+
Humanoid. Beast.
Black Cat (+2BP)
M 5 / Dex 5+ / C3 / A1 / W1 / Res4+
Animal.
Murder of Crows (+3BP)
M 10 / Dex 5+ / C3 / A3 / W2 / Res5+
Animal. Flying.

Familial Link.
The mind of the Witch and her Familiar are inextricably linked and, as such, whenever the Witch is Nominated the Familiar is as well (regardless of where it is on the board). The Familiar may not be nominated in any other way. If the Witch is removed from the board remove the Familiar as well, if the Familiar is removed from the board before the Witch then the Witch suffers an Insanity test as if she had failed a Resolve check.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:06:56 PM »

Bravo! PushStudios I haven't examined your stats closely but I must say, I like the overall feel of your Witch draft.  Especially the Familiar link and nomination.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 02:58:09 PM »
I agree that 18" is a bit brutal for Sundered from Time but you can only use each Spell once per game so...
Good point. Don't know where I got this urge to Nerf. ;D ;)

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
Bleeding Curse
I all ways think of a witch putting a curse on some one rather then out right magic, a cursed agent could take two major injuries after the game rather then one, this only applies if you lose the scenario and only applies to the cursed injured agent..
If you win the scenario then the cruse dies with the witch..

Curse of the Mechanic
The agent fire arm is jammed and made useless for the rest of the game, this applies to all forms of fire arms, and flame throwers.

Curse of Flames
Any thing the agent is holding he will drop as if the item is on fire and to hot to hold.

Curse of Nightmares
Any agent with this cures on him needs to do a resolve test at  a -1 to his throw at the start of every turn, on a failed test  he must not take any actions this turn .
If you want to make it more power full then on a failed roll he needs roll on the insanity table.
You can imagine an agent waving his hands about trying to defend him self against an imaginary monster.

Curse of Silence

The agent speaks the words but nothing comes out, the agent with this curse can not give commands to other agents.

Range of curse should be short around 10” and two action to perform.
I think a curse should be some thing that should last through the scenario with you untill the curser is removed from the scenario.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:42:27 PM by jnr »