Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:35:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Beaver Wars with SDS...  (Read 15332 times)

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Beaver Wars with SDS...
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
One more pic of the empty table...

@shikari sahib
Very intrested in your investigations. I would welcome any details of iroquese vs. french skirmishes.
For example: how was the ratio bow to musket in the period? Did the iroquese still use any bows in 1665?

DV

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 09:03:30 AM »
DV well most-all  the reports are from Gesuits so no great attention to such informations, but I have noted in various reports that the Dutch sold, gave as present, 300-400 muskets to Iroquois in various occasions , most to Mohawks , which were with Oneidas and Onondagas the tribes most involved against the French.

I made the idea that a proportion 1 bow to 1 musket should works.
Mohawks warriors on such time numbered around 600-700
Oneidas around 300 and Onondagas 500 warriors.
so a batch of 400 muskets could arm around on third - half of the warriors of these tribes.

hope this help, if I found more infos , as I'm still study and consulting it, I'll let you know.

Piero

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
That table only has 2 flaws:

• It is not in my possession
  • It cannot be extended easily by just adding another board along one edge

I've been playing around with the idea of round boards, but I've come to the conclusion, that I'll probably ever only make one for naval warfare, because of the extension issue. It is a maxim scribed in stone for me, that all my gaming boards have to be versatile and easily expandable for larger games.

But beautiful table, none the less.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:51:32 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Hi DV,
I found two articles concerning the guns given to Iroquois and the tactics used by them to attack fortified villages, both are a must, one is in PDF and the other I have charged in Word.
I don't how to post them on this forum, if there is a way let me know, or give me your e-mail and I'll send to you .
cheers
Piero

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
@Shikari Sahib
I send you a pm with my mail-adress.
Thank you for the information about the msukets... :)

@argonor
As I said, its not my table. So I share flaw No. 1
The extension issue is not that importend to me, because I have different tables, so to have 1 not expandeble is okay to me... ;)

DV

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 03:03:02 PM »
e-mail already sent.
Piero

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »
@piero
Thanx for your e-mail...

DV

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
Don Voss,

I was skimming through Rene Chartrand's "The French Soldier in Colonial America" last night and he mentioned a couple of interesting facts about the regiment (and the four company-strength detachments that joined them from the regiments of Poitou, Orleans, Lallier, and Chambelle in 1665). Chartrand claims that they brought no pikes to North America! They did get 200 flintlock muskets with bayonets in 1666 to supplement their matchlocks though.

He also mentions that Governor General the Marquis de Tracy brought a personal bodyguard of 20 men "clad like the King's Musketeers" which might make a very fun unit to model.

I just thought I'd pass those facts along. Personally if I get around to copying your project I will probably include a few pikes anyway. They look too good to leave out!

Aaron

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
thanks Aaron
as much infos as possible will be ok, I'm strongly interested in this period of negleted history, few manufacturers do something, is a pity it has a great potential.

Piero

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »
Unfortunately there are only a couple of pages devoted to the early period. Chartrand does list a few sources at the end of the booklet. I imagine they would not be easy to find but I here they are:

"A Collection of Documents relating to Jacques Cartier and the Sieur de Roberval" by H.P. Biggar (1931)

"Histoire de la colonie francaise en Canada" by Etienne Michel Faillon (1865)

"Histoire du Montreal" by Dollier de Casson (1868) pdf available here
http://www.archive.org/details/histoiredumontr31doll

"Carignan-Salieres, Governor-General's Guards, Canada 1665-1668" by Chartrand and Leliepvre in Military Collector and Historian (Journal of the Company of Military Historians) Volume XXXII, 2 (1980)

"Initiation a la Nouvelle-France" by Trudel (1968)

Archive.org has a pdf of another book by Biggar available, "The precursors of Cartier" from 1911 which might interest you.
http://www.archive.org/details/precursorsofjacq01bigg

Likewise the site has pdfs of some of Faillon's other works which (according to my limited French) seem to deal with the early history of the church in Canada. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=etienne%20faillon%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts

Sorry, that is all my limited research has to offer. I am more focused on the 1740-1812 period. I am becoming more interested in this period though. The town I lived in as a child was located at the junction of the Grand River and Lake Erie and was the site of a village of the Neutral tribe. It was entirely wiped out by the Iroquois in these earlier wars.

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
Hi Aaron,

I new the fact that the Carignan-Salières Regiment didn't bring any pikes to New France. I solely included pikes because the Copplestone-range is very limited. In effect only 2 poses for musketeers; not enough for my taste for a skirmish-SBS-gang.
In play it proved nice to have a combination of good shooting figures and only melee-troops. So I am now quite happy with the inclusion of pikes, though historical incorrect.
A real flaw are the very dangerouse pikes from Northstar... :o

Thanx for the info about the matchlock/flintlock exchange. I realy think of making there a difference in game mechanics... ;)

@governors guard
I was thinking of these...
http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/explore/virtual-museum-of-new-france/people/the-soldiers/the-soldiers6b

But they look like the three musketeers... o_o lol

...a few links, I used:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~agrandchildsheritage/arrival.html

http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/explore/virtual-museum-of-new-france/people/the-soldiers/the-soldiers5

http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/explore/virtual-museum-of-new-france/people/the-soldiers/the-soldiers7

two cool blogs:
http://matchlocktodoglock.blogspot.com/
http://warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com/search/label/wargaming

I am not sure how to go on with this project. It is quite good as it is now and the "glory of the sun"-range is still very limited... ???

Cheers,
DV

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 02:12:38 PM »
 The town I lived in as a child was located at the junction of the Grand River and Lake Erie and was the site of a village of the Neutral tribe. It was entirely wiped out by the Iroquois in these earlier wars.
[/quote]

lucky that you have not lived at that time  lol

thanks for the infos, I 'm looking at them.

the 1740s period is very interesting but I have study and play  many games about, so I'm looking for something news.
at the moment the Champlain era and the beaver's wars are my favourite.
Piero

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
I have just received these two books and I will start to study them

Iroquois Wars I
Extracts from the Jesuit Relations and Primary Sources, 1535-1650

Iroquois Wars II
Extracts from the Jesuit Relations, 1650-1675
Compiled and Edited by Anthony P. Schiavo, Jr. & Claudio R. Salvucci
seems exciting ;D

Piero

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
Don Voss,

I don't blame you for including the pikes. Fun and appearance trump history every time in my book. This is our hobby after all!

I just remembered another book that has some info on the Beaver Wars. It is "The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815" by Richard White. It is still in print and available from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Ground-Republics-1650-1815-American/dp/0521424607/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276176832&sr=1-1

It has been several years since I read it, but I believe it has more of a general history than any useful gaming details.

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 02:39:26 AM »
Added a cannon today...

...not quite shure about the crew yet. I think they were not uniformed at this time.
Any information would be welcomed... :)

DV