Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:37:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689628
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Beaver Wars in Ohio <-- updated 7/6/15  (Read 22990 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
The Beaver Wars in Ohio <-- updated 7/6/15
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:59:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

My group is just about ready to begin playtesting my set of campaign rules for late 17th - 18th century warfare among Indian tribes here in my state of Ohio. The Beaver Wars was a conflict fought throughout the Eastern Woodlands as the Iroquois and other tribes fought over trapping grounds. Beaver was in high demand in Europe (I know  lol), particularly for hats. The animal was being trapped to extinction in the East and new lands were needed. The Ohio Valley was where the Iroquois wanted to expand their control, and they warred against the various Miami, Ottawa, and Wyandot tribes who populated the area.

The players will control one of the tribes and each undertake one action per turn. This could be a raid, attempt to conquer a village, etc. This generates tabletop encounters. The players create their army lists and game out the action. Of course, we will be using my own "Song of Drums and Tomahawks" (available at the links below). There are rules for surviving warriors to gain experience, new Traits, and for new leaders to emerge. The players are competing against each other in four categories (control of villages, victories in battle, and so on). Where they are ranked in each category will determine victory points and which tribe(s) are "winning."

One of the last bits of research I needed to do was for the campaign map. Living in Ohio, I have the wonderful research of the Ohio Historical Society's archive library in town. I pored over maps yesterday and will begin drawing it out this week, using actual historic sites for Indian villages, names, and so on. I also need to go back down and use some new sources I found to do a final, fact double-check on my research on the various tribes of the Ohio Valley.

Once we have playtested it thoroughly to my satisfaction, then they will be available for sale. A big part of it will be the historical background, maps, and detailed information on each tribe. In addition to the campaign's scenario generator, I will include a dozen or so generic or "plug in" scenarios that I've run successfully at convention. Like Song of Drums and Tomahawks, it will be a joint venture between Ganesha Games and our own company, First Command Wargames (http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/).

Here are the links where Song of Drums and Tomahawks is available:

Ganesha Games: http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_51&products_id=267&osCsid=r1dkch5705si1kpu56jn25h5p5
Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/139714/Song-of-Drums-and-Tomahawks?affiliate_id=23711
Create Space on Amazon:https://www.createspace.com/5095483

Stay tuned for some updates and battle reports as we begin playtesting!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:52:33 AM by mikedemana »

Offline morrigan

• Bookworm
Re: The Beaver Wars in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »
This sounds very interesting. I just picked up a copy of Drums and Tomahawks with hopes for using it for the Conquest of Siberia. While there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available in English, from what I have read the Russian demand for furs and the and conflicts arising from that sound very similar. I'll be interested to see how you treat wooden armor in the earlier period.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
Hi Morrigan,

Thank you for your purchase! The "Song" rules engine is very modular and flexible. So, you should be able to modify it for just about any period. The right combination of Traits and a special rule or two and you can really tailor it to a specific period and style of warfare.

Our first thoughts on the wooden armor are this: It counts as Cuirass except against gunpowder weapons and Primitive Weapon. The Primitive Weapon category will be expanded to include some large, European swords and such. I know that is more of a concern for the early Conquistador period, but thought I'd mention it here. The cost would be likely 4 points instead of 5, though we have not playtested that, yet.

Thoughts?

Mike Demana

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
Mike,

Best of luck on your project! I grew up in Fairport Harbor, Ohio which is the site of an Erie Indian settlement that was wiped out by the Iroquois during the Beaver War period. I may have to pick up some of Bob Murch's new range and a set of your rules and give it a spin.

As far as references, I have always found Helen Hornbeck Tanner's "Atlas of Great Lakes Indian History" very useful. There is a new paperback edition available ( http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Indian-History-Civilization-American/dp/0806120568/?ie=UTF8 but most libraries should be able to get hold of a copy too.

Aaron

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
Mike, this subject is very interesting and diferent from the existing ones.
Although i´m not an american i always liked world history in general and some conflicts in particular and one of those is the one you are exploring so any information is most welcome.
Appart from Bob Murchs minis (Pulp Figures) and an old Wargames Foundry range i dont know about any other manufacturer in 28mm for minis specially pre powder periods so it might be interesting to see if someone picks this period for american indians.

About rules although i bought Song of Drums and Tomahawks and havent tried yet i think it will be easy to convert them to the subject.
I will probably try the rules for the Second Seminole Wars in 1835.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:52:43 AM by rumacara »

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
Mike, this subject is very interesting and diferent from the existing ones.
Although i´m not an american i always liked world history in general and some conflicts in particular and one of those is the one you are exploring so any information is most welcome.
Appart from Bob Murchs minis (Pulp Figures) and an old Wargames Foundry range i dont know about any other manufacturer in 28mm for minis specially pre powder periods so it might be interesting to see if someone picks this period for american indians.

About rules although i bought Song of Drums and Tomahawks and havent tried yet i think it will be easy to convert them to the subject.
I will probably try the rules for the Second Seminole Wars in 1835.

Footsore have a couple of packs of skraelings, which look very similar to the SAGA ones if you have seen them.

http://footsoreminis.com/t/dark-ages---skraelings

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »
Folnjir, those skraelings are lovelly.
The only problem is with postage and the risk of extra taxes but appart from that they are an excelent reference for the period.
Many thanks for the link.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 02:01:04 AM »
I actually picked up a pack of their Skraeling "Wretches" to paint up as Indian youths. They're slimmer and certainly have less equipment than my 28mm Conquest Indians. Speaking of which, just about any non-firearm bearing Indian should be good for the Beaver Wars, I'd say. The wooden slate armor was more rare than the illustrations in books would have us believe. Oh, and that Bob Murch range....OH, MY, GOD!  :o :o :o Gorgeous!

Funny you should mention that atlas, Aaron. A friend of mine has been digging through is bookshelves looking for his copy to lend to me. He finally gave up and order another used copy...ha, ha! I perused it while visiting Fort Meigs (War of 1812 reconstructed fort, in Perrysburg, Ohio) this spring. It DOES look great. I'm heading back down to the archives tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted on the project. I appreciate the interest.

And, since someone mentioned the Bob Murch figs, I can't resist adding a little color to this thread...

Mike Demana

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »
Folnjir, those skraelings are lovelly.
The only problem is with postage and the risk of extra taxes but appart from that they are an excelent reference for the period.
Many thanks for the link.

Ah, being in Australia where postage is ridiculous from everywhere I tend to forget about it.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
I've been doing research down at the Ohio Historical Society's archive library, recently. The resource down there are amazing. Period maps, accounts, and such. One book has every treaty signedby the Indian tribes and the government. I used that to make lists of chieftain's and other important tribes men's names for all the tribes covered by the campaign.

All kinds of good stuff to include!

Mike Demana

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Speaking of research, the Iroquois (or Haudenosaunee) were very well-armed with European firearms as early as the 1630s, at first being armed with the arquebus by the Dutch. The Ohio wars didn't start until a couple of decades later, with the Iroquois attack on the Eries starting around 1654.

So I'm curious how you're going to work firearms into the mix in your most excellent and intriguing campaign. Access to firearms was one reason for Iroquois successes, as they certainly didn't outnumber their opponents. And it would take some serious research to determine how much and when the other woodland tribes adopted firearms. I'm very interested in what you come up with.

The Beaver Wars are a fascinating and much-neglected period to wargame, stretching for almost the entire 17th century until the Great Peace of Montreal in 1701, with three major European powers and numerous woodland tribes in the mix, so I watch your progress with much interest. Especially since my humble abode is not too far to your north in the [former] Great Black Swamp, just spittin' distance from Fort Meigs. The fighting in Ohio was so fierce that the land was effectively uninhabited in the first few decades of the 18th century: the Iroquois didn't have the resources to occupy, and the other tribes had been pushed out (or eradicated, like the Erie).

Best of luck with your project!  :)

Mike
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:55:18 PM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »
This sounds very interesting. I just picked up a copy of Drums and Tomahawks with hopes for using it for the Conquest of Siberia. While there doesn't seem to be a lot of information available in English, from what I have read the Russian demand for furs and the and conflicts arising from that sound very similar. I'll be interested to see how you treat wooden armor in the earlier period.

I am sure that Cuprum (who posts a lot on the Back of Beyond board) would have some great ideas about Siberia. He lives in the Altai which is reasonably - by Russian standards - close to where all that action went down.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »
So I'm curious how you're going to work firearms into the mix in your most excellent and intriguing campaign.

My initial plans are to use a Firearms ratio. For example, if the ratio is 4:1, you must have 4 bow armed figures before receiving one armed with a firearm. Tribes will be able to improve their ratio over the course of the campaign. I will make recommendations on where to set each tribe's starting Firearms ratio, but ultimately let the players decide if they want a more historical or more balanced campaign.

I also plan on having 2-3 campaign setups covering different time periods. This would include the initial onslaught of the Iroquois vs. the Erie, the slightly later 1700 period when the major dislocations have settled down, and finally a period I call the vacuum, when the time period of depopulation entices a number of tribes to immigrate (or re-immigrate) to the Ohio lands.

So, although it will be called "The Beaver Wars in Ohio," it is intended to cover a longer period of time. This will let players who want to game the historical event of the Beaver Wars, but in a later time period with flintlock muskets, the leeway to do so. Thanks for the kind words, Oabee! This is indeed a fascinating time period...and there sure were a lot of tribes occupying your old stomping grounds in the Toledo area! Have you ever made it to Drums Along the Maumee? Nothing beats running one of my games there, when players can turn around and see the palisades of Fort Meigs outside the window and a short walk away...!

Mike Demana

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
Mike-

I am now resolved to make the next gaming event at Fort Meigs!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."