Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What flavor, your Victorian Adventuring?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
Re: What flavor, your Victorian Adventuring?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:47 PM »
I agree with all the above.  This is VSF and anything and everything has its place somewhere in the universe.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »
VSF for me is big mix all the styles you mention.
But i had a great time playing a rpg campaing directly inspired in a great book from Philip Jose Farmer, The other log of Phileas Fogg. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/philip-jose-farmer/other-log-of-phileas-fogg.htm

The main idea of the campaing was everything looks like a 100% historically accurate Victorian game but on the background of that "reality" all it's a huge VSF conspiration. Everything looks like "normal" but VSF stuff exist and keeps hidden from people knowledge by secrets societies, steamlords and governements.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
VSF for me is big mix all the styles you mention.
But i had a great time playing a rpg campaing directly inspired in a great book from Philip Jose Farmer, The other log of Phileas Fogg. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/philip-jose-farmer/other-log-of-phileas-fogg.htm

The main idea of the campaing was everything looks like a 100% historically accurate Victorian game but on the background of that "reality" all it's a huge VSF conspiration. Everything looks like "normal" but VSF stuff exist and keeps hidden from people knowledge by secrets societies, steamlords and governements.

I have that novel, and must finally get around to reading it!

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
For myself, I think "my" VSF-code would read:

F2/S7/H0/R8

• Fantasy: 2 out of 10. "Mysteries of the East" and "Unknown Tales of Mars" sort of thing.
  • SciFi: 7 out of 10. Ether, yes. Lightning cannons, yes. Freeze rays, hell yes. But also Martini-Henry rifles and Maxim guns too.
  • Horror: 0 out of 10. Not  in VSF -I prefer my horror modern and apocalyptic, thanks.
  • Reality: 8 out of 10. The question of whether Bismark would regard extra-terrestrial colonies as he did African and Asian ones is an interesting one. With Edison making the best etherships in the world, will this advance the cause of American naval modernisation so an earlier president thean Teddy Roosevelt launches the Great White (Aerial) Fleet?  And, as much as "Bad Germans" is part of the modern gamer zeitgeist, the British in the 1880s were more concerned about France as their Next Big Rival, so a lot of published stuff is, well, weird...

Hanging out with professional military historians tends to do this sort of thing... We spent an entire evening running "what-if" from the suggestion that the swamps of Venus produced an elixir effective at halting the spread of cancer - leading to a much longer reign by Kaiser Frederick of Germany, with all the carry-on changes that might have brought...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:45:09 PM by SBRPearce »
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
I remember in University finding a reprint of an old SF novel called "The Great War of 189_", it was a 19th century version of those 1980s books detailing how WW3 was going to unfold.

But it had Great Britain coming in on the side of Germany!

The German rivalry came with the dreadnought race and that whole business in South Africa.

James

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 03:00:32 PM »
I think it's 1898, they're meant to be very good. I would love to read it.