Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:47:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691655
  • Total Topics: 118413
  • Online Today: 640
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Converting the "Cobra Gunship" for 28mm Sci-fi games.  (Read 16285 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Re: Converting the "Cobra Gunship" for 28mm Sci-fi games.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »
Interesting to see you used those cheapo bottles of acrylics to paint it, rather than dedicated gaming paints.

I did some time as an art major and knowing what I do about paint I've never been totally sold on "miniature" paints.  I've also found the Delta Cermacote to be a good quality compaired to the other craft paints out there.  The yellow background to the ensignia is actually GW foundry.  I tend to pick paints for their color and how they handle over what company they come from.  I like differnt paints from different companies sometimes for different jobs.   

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2010, 12:05:28 AM »
I bought one on Amazon. It was actually the cheapest option I found. British sellers in e-bay were almost twice as much.

All I need now is some free time to convert it, and a game in which to employ it... minor details...
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2010, 10:24:51 AM »
I did some time as an art major and knowing what I do about paint I've never been totally sold on "miniature" paints.  I've also found the Delta Cermacote to be a good quality compaired to the other craft paints out there.  The yellow background to the ensignia is actually GW foundry.  I tend to pick paints for their color and how they handle over what company they come from.  I like differnt paints from different companies sometimes for different jobs.   

That would certainly be a great help when working with mini paints. I was hoping you'd found a good cheap option for a solid-coverage yellow.

Looks like it's back to the "several coats of expensive paint" option  :(

I'll definitely look out for the Delta Cermacote range when I'm on the hunt for paints, though. Large vehicles just use too much of the gaming stuff.

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
I hope no one minds a little threadomancy. I was following this thread and looking for a suitable plane for conversion and finally found one. It's a Mattel Secret Saturdays Griffin. I found some at BigLots for $5.

Here's a WIP shot.

There's a short article about it on my blog here http://ljshobbyspot.blogspot.com/2010/08/28mm-dropship-wip.html  but these pics sort of sum it up.

Thanks for looking,

Luckyjoe

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »
Nice find Luckyjoe!  I'm only about a half hour from a Big Lots myself.  Looks like I need to make a trip.  Nice work on the cockpit too.  For that price I'll have to pick up a squadron. 

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
That's fantastic and a real bargain. The tail looks a lot better the way you've done it and I agree the cockpit is just right.

I could see that being used as a Special Forces stealth insertion ship as well as a more conventional fighter etc  :-*

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »
really nice work... hmmm, may have to check ebay...

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
Damn, someone beat me to it.  I bought a couple of the BigLots Secret Saturdays planes for transports.  Mine are primed but not painted yet.  How did you prime the rubber wing-tips?  Mine are still sticky from the paint.
This is my boomstick!

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
assuming the rubber is similar to diecast car tyres, coat with pva first...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
well that kind of ruins that one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Secret-Saturdays-Griffin-Attacks-Jet-New-/350380172685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Quite so. I could live with the price, but the postage to the Uk...   :o  :'(

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »
Hi, folks. Thanks for the kind words.
@DoomsDave: Sorry about beating you to the punch.  :) I just primed it with Krylon Gray spray primer and let it  sit while I was doing other projects. Seems to be okay now after about a week after priming.
@GM: Thanks  :). I had to go back and look to see what you meant about the tail. Apparently I put the tail pieces on the wrong side while putting it together. It does look better than the original way, doesn't it? Once again, I have proven it's better to be lucky than good.  :)

Luckyjoe