Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692915
  • Total Topics: 118494
  • Online Today: 555
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Games Workshop "washes"  (Read 11139 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: New Games Workshop "washes"
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »
Is the new Stuff Crap?

No idea. Haven't even managed to get my hands on a bottle yet. I imagine that it will be like most washes. Great if it does what you want and matches your painting style but not so hot if it doesn't.

Offline meanderthal

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 01:36:56 AM »
Something I have used for several years now to great effect for washes is a mix of one part acrylic floor wax (in the US, "Future" is the brand name I use) to four parts water. I mix up a small squirt bottle (available at craft stores) with some, and use a few drops with a drop of paint to get the desired thinness.  It does make the wash a little glossy when it dries, but since I go over all with matte varnish anyway, that hasn't been a problem for me.  And the bottle of "Future" I bought several years ago is still mostly full, so it has been very inexpensive as well!
Winners never quit, and quitters never win...but if you never win, and never quit, you may just be an idiot!

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 02:58:53 PM »
Yes, I just wanted to mention Future Floor Polish (in Germany: Erdal Glänzer) as a flow enhancer, but you can even use a tiny drop of dish washing detergent amongst other fluids. What you really don't need are any kind of "new" inks or colours from GW (imho!). These are always the same shit they would like you to buy last time, and the time before, ... Highly expensive, small amounts of colour in small bottles, nothing you can't get better and cheaper elsewhere.  :D

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
that's totally untrue...

the last time the changes the inks (from the flip top to the screw cap bottles) they (in my experience) actually became worse...

But often GW stuff id high quality. Sadly, for a lot people buying their equipment, high quality is not always necessary...
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
I saw some examples of monopose Goblins all washed with the various colors of the new GW inks when I went to pick up the new Warhammer Demons book last Sunday. From what I could tell whilst the redshirt was haranguing me, the new inks are supposed to be formulated more like the dip that is currently in vogue (ie: they're made to settle into the recesses of the model and leave raised areas relatively clean).

It might be worth picking up one or two colors to experiment with, just to see...
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 11:29:24 AM »
if i want to use a wash i just thin my paint and add 'klear' its great!!

Offline Conquest

• Librarian
    • http://www.conquestminiatures.com
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
I've seen and used the new stuff at my local GW store. I actually think it's going to be good. I was only able to experiment quickly with it, as did several other people. The results over a straight white primer for instance was really good and it's definately not your typical ink, it's more like the dip method, but dries flat and didn't pool at the bottom (of course I'm more anal than the next guy and made sure to 'guide' the paint as best I could.

I think the stuff is worth trying out. I'll buy some as I won't deny myself the oppurtunity to have more options when painting.

I think not trying them just because you don't like GW's policies is silly. Good paint is good paint, and makes all the difference in a paint job (well, and patience, skill, effort, etc.). They'll go next to my GW, GW foundation, Vallejo Model, Vallejo Game, P3 (some of the best ever!) and Foundry (which incidentally is also 'expensive')
It's not cheating if your stupid.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
Freaking fanboy! lol

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
My standby is Winsor & Newton inks in a Future/Kleer wash.  Even better were W&N Brilliant Watercolours, which had a wider range of colors, but they've been out of production for several years, now.

I like to be able to mix different washes depending on the colors that they're being applied over.  Austrian white uniforms take something more subtle than Confederate butternut, for example.  With colored inks, you can really tailor the wash for a particular application.

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline BarmyBob

• Assistant
  • Adopt a Rescued PitBull Today
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
I had the pleasure of using these new "washes" and I was impressed. Mind you, it werent nothing you couldnt do with any other brand with a bit of work, but this stuff works great straight out of the bottle.
I've pre-ordered the set and will post pics of the results when I get them. As to those who dislike GW, I stand by "boltgun metal" as one of the best metallic colours made. They have their ups and downs like every other company, but if you dont like it, go buy 51% of the stock and run the company. :)
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." --John Galt

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »
I agree with Barmy Bob!

Having seen [and tried] the new GW inks recently, they will be perfect for Rudi's "Fastpaint" style of painting:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6009.new;topicseen#new

The brown and black are especially good, although all of them dry perfectly matt, fill the crevices and leave a "stain" on the raised detail with no pooling on flat surfaces. Painting the base white, inking in undiluted brown, then a dilute wash of black gave an excellent "khaki" shade.

White base with a green ink wash gave fantasticly eerie "Army of the Dead" results for Lord of the Rings.

Black wash over chainmail gave excellent ringmail results, with all the holes in the mail being filled by the ink and a pleasingly dull metallic effect. Often this can be hard to achieve with one wash.

They will be perfect for quickly painting all the Perry plastic ACW figures I'll be buying. I'll try painting pale khaki as a base & then using brown wash for butternut and a pale grey drybrush with black wash for  err... grey. They should also work well for blues etc, with careful mixing of black into the blue ink over a lightish blue-grey base.

Expensive - undoubtedly. Worthwhile in that they will save hours of valuable painting time - definitely!  :D

GW can be a very expensive pain in the ass, but even the most hardened anti-Evil Empire guerilla has to agree that they do some things very well indeed  lol

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 02:28:04 PM »

GW can be a very expensive pain in the ass, but even the most hardened anti-Evil Empire guerilla has to agree that they do some things very well indeed  lol

Yes, that's undoubtly true, GM. One of the most cunning and very well done things GW did was to sell those kids a bag of ordinary sand you could pick up yourself around any corner for 7,50 EUR or 8,- US $.  :o  o_o  >:D

Oh, I know, they call it "Modelling Sand". Nevertheless, it's just plain ordinary sand. For that money I could buy four 20 kg sacks of sand in any DIY, and can pick up from different sorts as well.

But - I'll stop here. If a product works for you, just ok.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 10:37:20 AM »
Quote from: Gluteus Maximus on May 28, 2008, 12:44:01 PM

GW can be a very expensive pain in the ass, but even the most hardened anti-Evil Empire guerilla has to agree that they do some things very well indeed 

Yes, that's undoubtly true, GM. One of the most cunning and very well done things GW did was to sell those kids a bag of ordinary sand you could pick up yourself around any corner for 7,50 EUR or 8,- US $.     

Oh, I know, they call it "Modelling Sand". Nevertheless, it's just plain ordinary sand. For that money I could buy four 20 kg sacks of sand in any DIY, and can pick up from different sorts as well.

Not forgetting the PVA that you can also buy in Poundland.

I just used the washes on some gangsters I bought in bright colours, they toned them down nicely.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »
Well... my experience with inks and washes has been poor.

The reason being, of course, is that no matter how thin it is, the entire surface changes color, in varying degrees.  And I personally don't like that, because I can't be sure what the figure will look like after I have applied the wash.

When I decide to use a wash, I first apply a very light layer of varnish to the figure.  I do this with a brush.  The varnish keeps the wash from absorbing into the paint and I can actually control where the wash pools and know exactly what color will come out when it has dried.

Other than that, I don't do inks or washes.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »
Well,

I've used the first GW inks, then the washes, the glazes, wonderwash, the new GW Inks and the new boxed washes.

I must admit the new washes are more like wonderwash, but with a bit more coverage, plus they give a matt/satin finish rather than a gloss.

Currently using them on my TAG NBC troops, (posted up in future wars), quite like them alot. Will also be dipping my wick so to speak and using them on Andy's new Heresy Blight Demons I got as a pre order to paint so keep you posted; but so far so good.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.